How Did You Start Out in RPG Maker?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LycanDiva, Mar 31, 2019.

?

Did You Know There Was A Playstation of RPG Maker?

1. No, this is the first I've heard of it.

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  2. Yes, I'd heard about it.

22 vote(s)
    46.8%
  3. Yes, That's how I got my start.

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  4. Yes, I know about the PS1 AND PS2 versions.

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  1. LycanDiva

LycanDiva Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @atoms
    I mean did you know about the Playstation versions prior to finding this thread. Basically, it's just for my own curiosity to see how many others around the forums had heard of those old console versions or even started with the PS1 version like I did.

atoms likes this.
  2. pandadodod

pandadodod Wannabe of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My memory is hazy but I kinda remembered I stumbled upon rpgmakervx(dot)net before, let that site rest in peace, and it opened my eyes that people kind of made games with an engine like rpg maker. Also, I'm not sure if I was aware back then that Aveyond is made with RM.
    I messed with trial versions of the engines . I then became a lurker on some RM forums and played games made by the community.
    One time,@Paladin-Cleric of Awesome gave me her spare VX version. But then, I saved up and bought Ace on Steam some months after that.

LycanDiva likes this.
  3. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    My foray into RM started with the PSX version of RPG Maker way back in 98. I then got an english version of the SNES version (Tsukuru 2) on my computer and played that for a while before I found 2k and I've been around ever since. Yeah, I'm old. Shush! XD

LycanDiva likes this.
  4. Switz

Switz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I got into it because I never found a old school RPG game on Steam that truly hit me in the Final Fantasy nostalgia feels until I played Einlanzer. Before that I had tried almost everything there is after long exhausted searched through the store to find games that appeared to be what I was looking for.

However, my hopes where dashed when the developer for Einlanzer stated that he would not make another game seeing it took him three years and would rather focus on his fantasy books he writes. I begged. Others begged. Stubborn man would not budge so I asked him if he partnered with someone who did most of the groundwork, would he write a new story and help develop it? He said to make a short game to see if I had the fortitude and talent, if I did then he would partner and we do a game together. I wasn't talking about me!!?!

But I did anyway. I REALLY wanted more old school-like RPG games. So, if no one else would do it, then suck it up and do it yourself. I did have a little experience in things like this. I was a source SDK mapper for a Half Life 2 mod that became very popular. I am also a website designer and although I do not have tremendous graphic art ability, I know my way around Photoshop fairly well.

We have been developing our new game for over a year and absolutely love every second of it. We get along great and believe we are going to deliver a solid game that fans of the old classics will enjoy tremendously.

Wavelength and LycanDiva like this.
  5. VitaliaDi

VitaliaDi Jedi Master Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think I came across those RPG Horror games then just decided I would love to make my own. I used 2k3 for a long time then switched to XP when I got it on sale. That's where I finished my first game. I just got MV with that recent big sale so I'm switching to that now and comparing how it works vs XP. Great programs especially if you're an artist/writer instead of a programmer haha

LycanDiva likes this.
  6. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I always loved making up games as a little kid, and Super Mario RPG opened my eyes to RPGs when I was 9. So there had been a few years where I was doodling maps, writing down stats and items, etc. for my own RPG ideas.

Fast forward to 2001, and I'm 15 and using AOL and browsing a now long-defunct website called Antagonist Gaming. I found a review for "RPG Maker" (PS1), and my curiosity was piqued. As I read through the review, then re-read it and re-read it over the course of the next week, I thought "wow, I can make anything I want!" and my imagination started going wild. I made my first-ever online purchase (through Buy.com, which I think still exists in some form), and a week or two later it came in the mail. I was thrilled and so ready to start it up... and then I realized I had no idea what the hell I was doing.

A few false starts and a couple of months later, I finally got my legs under me, and created a few maps, minigames, enemies, and the like. Never really made anything coherent or playable, but I had fun "creating". I was every bit as excited for RPG Makers 2 and 3, and in 3 I finally started to create small, coherent games. I got involved in the RPG Maker Pavilion community and it was there that I first played a game made for a PC RPG Maker. I was blown away by what I saw, compared to the limited tools available in RPG Maker 3, and finally made the jump to the PC Makers around 2010. Couldn't be happier that I did!

pandadodod and LycanDiva like this.
  7. HayateKung

HayateKung Villager Member

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I started out playing games based on RPG Maker (XP at the time) when I was young and got quite fascinated about it. At the time, I was also trying to use it to create something but the project never really started. Now that I'm working on a project about raising awareness, I see games as a potential way to do it and it didn't take me long to remember about RPG Maker, so I bought the MV one. Still learning about it.

LycanDiva likes this.
  8. Darkanine

Darkanine ...In my thoughts and in my dreams... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I started with RPG Maker 2 on PS2. It was awhile before the time Super Smash Bros. Brawl came out (~2007?) and I bought it at our local gamestop. Didn't know any of the terminology at the time, I though "events" were like Pokemon events, thus were like special bonus features and not gameplay features. I didn't get far because I had the epiphany that, even if I did, I couldn't really share it since it was on a PS2.

Back in middle school (2010-ish), I followed this YouTuber who did lets plays on RPG Maker games and that's how I discovered the computer software. Bought VX and did some stuff in it. Nothing notable but I learned how the software worked at least and moved on to ACE when it came out. ACE was such an improvement over VX I legitimately question how I used VX at all. No generator? No formula creator? ONLY ONE TILESET? It was dark times, let me tell you.
    Almost 10 years later, still haven't made a game :rsrs:

LycanDiva likes this.
  9. WaywardMartian

WaywardMartian Is sometimes a giant bee Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've made D&D and suchlike quests since I was a kid, and generally preferred RPGs to other types of video games. I thought it'd be cool to be able to make my own RPG but figured that was never going to happen because I had no idea how to scratch-program such a thing.

Then a few years ago I saw one throwaway line on a bit of pixel art somebody had posted to Tumblr like 'if somebody has RPG Maker, I'd totally play a game about that character'. Ten seconds later I was Googling 'RPG Maker' because there's something out there that can just make RPGs? Ten minutes later I'd downloaded the VX Ace demo. I was well hooked before the trial period ended. Then I snapped up MV as soon as the preorders were announced.

Darkanine, LycanDiva and Wavelength like this.