Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I personally just bought it, opened up the program on Steam and started exploring it. I managed to figure out eventing and the basics of mapping on my own this way. I bought all the official English RPG Makers up to VX Ace as a bundle (all are the Steam versions). The first RPG Maker I ever used was VX Ace and I ended up buying MV while it was on sale a few months ago. So I ended up spending less than the normal cost of MV for all the engines I bought total. It was quite cost-effective.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It was all started from my big bro who've been played Aveyon and realized it was made by RPG Maker XP. Later he found out the program, and introduced it to me. So RMXP was my first engine. It was long time ago though, around 2007 or 2008 I guess

EpicFILE

Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The first one I used was Rm2k3, back in 2011. (the official version haven't even come out that time xD)
It was like a magical tool able to create a game of my dream.
Messing around with database was the most fun things I did with RM back then.
I also tried to implement day/night cycle through event and created a smartphone event by putting variables.

I also remember how I created custom battlers and animations with MS Paint for my game. (because of color limitations)
Samurai battler, a guy with hammer, female archer on the horseback, cannon-man. (They looks kinda weird actually)

Those were big achievements at the time, although I haven't finished any games with the engine. xD

Amysaurus

Dinosnore
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
The deepest lore is that I ran across some RMXP sprites on Google around 2007-ish, and that got me into spriting. I didn't do much with the engine until I picked up VX, though.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I remember playing a version of RPG Maker for the Playstation and thinking, "This could be really cool if it was more customizable". Due to it being for a console and not PC, it just seemed too limiting. I somehow missed that various PC versions were released over the years until I just happened upon it when MV came out. Looked up some videos to see what it could do and immediately downloaded the trial to check it out myself.

XIIIthHarbinger

Part Time Super Villain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I actually found RPG Maker completely by accident.

Years ago someone had been telling me how a video game about the Columbine School shooting in America had been made. I found the claim rather suspect, especially when they couldn't tell me the title of the game. Being a rather skeptical individual by nature, I started looking into the claim, so that I could prove their claim false.

As I started looking into the claim, I realized it might be true; & I eventually tracked down information about the game, the creator of the game, & the program they used to create.

After I was done acquiring information about the game & its creator, I started looking deeper into the program he used because I found the concept of the program interesting.

After which I started experimenting with the "Lite" version of VX Ace.

SOC

"God is my Judge"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I saw RPG Maker on Playstation a very long time ago in a random Gamestop. Some time after that, before RM2k3, I discovered RM2k and fell in love with it. Then 2k3 came out, and I haaaaad to have it. Side view ATB gauge? Just what I wanted. For all its flaws and issues, I think it still remains my overall favorite simply because of that fact alone. I love 2k, I love XP, I love VX Ace, I love MV, but 2k3 is just where all my childhood memories lie.

The time I spent with RM2k was mostly just learning about RM and how it worked. With 2k3, I tried to make my first actual real project called Final Fantasy Myth (I was 12 at the time). I remember walking around outside playing with sticks, imagining I was a black mage like Vivi from FF9. Then I started coming up with my own characters, a location, a world, a story... and just made a game out of it in 2k3.

robhr

come on die young
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I saw it on the shelf for rental at Blockbuster when I was 13. It must have been... 2001? After I tried it I was in love and I renewed the rental a good five or ten times. It was the first internet community I joined and basically changed my life.

Ellie Jane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
2004 on the Battleon forums. A few of us started messing around with it (RM2k) and making some really awful games. Quickly went from there to Crankeye and then to RMXP.net; stayed there ever since and actually learned how to make games.

Fhntop

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I bought VX Ace on Steam during a sale, thinking that I could finally make a game with graphics (I'm not an artist xD). I made a couple of youtube videos of my game's progress with Ace and started scripting using Ruby. My "joke" game suddenly had a story, I was enjoying doing the cutscenes and I was really looking forward to work on it. Sadly I couldn't think of a proper battle system that fit so I paused it.

Then MV came out and since I'm more familiar with js, I bought it. Afterwards I got inspired so development restarted and nowadays I'm trying to progress on the base mechanics so that I can continue with the story.

Last edited:

ChampX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I started with 2k3 back in early 2006 as I found it on the web with a bunch of friends in school one day during class. We actually made a game dev club that met at lunch and we were gonna make an RPG where you played as a student and all the teachers we knew were gonna be bosses. This fell very quickly, but I continued to use 2k3 in my spare time and managed to pump out a few games. A year later, I found XP and decided to use it over 2k3 for a couple years and made a couple more games.

Then for many years I didn't use any RPG Maker as I favored raw programming or other tools as I didn't think RM was a worthwhile engine anymore. Then I saw MV a year and a half ago, saw that the engine uses JS over RGSS as well as being easy to deploy to multiple platforms, and the flexibility the plugin editor can offer and I thought I'd give it a shot. Just for good measure, I bought all the steam versions of each maker during a summer sale shortly after I learned about MV.

My original MV project was a Unity project that I spent a few months on just getting the basic framework while juggling full time work. I accomplished literally everything I did in Unity in MV within a weeks time while still juggling full time work and decided, yup MV is the way to go. Now I'm just trying to finish that project as it is currently my biggest one. I basically skipped over VX and VX Ace and 2k I assume is just an inferior version of 2k3 (though someone can correct me on that).

Miss Nile

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Egyptian Arabic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It was all started from my big bro who've been played Aveyon and realized it was made by RPG Maker XP. Later he found out the program, and introduced it to me. So RMXP was my first engine. It was long time ago though, around 2007 or 2008 I guess
^ Exactly that, except that it was me and my younger bro. XD I was pretty young at that time and I had the most cliche starts of a game developer, wanting to make the coolest and biggest game ever. XD Lots of abandoned projects and all but I was able to improve my mapping skills a lot, learn quite a bit about eventing and improve myself overall. After a lot of abandoned games, I have 3 completed games now, all made in RMXP.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have 3 completed games now, all made in RMXP.
Except, I never really did anything until VXAce era lol. All I did was just messing around without actually make a game. I enjoyed the communities though, seeing released projects and their improvement, even I never tried to make one.

Leon Kennedy

Restaff Novice
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I downloaded rpg maker xp trial by accident thinking it was first person shooter creator. Oh how that engine would of been cool if it didn't suck so bad [speaking of fpsc].

Last edited:

FleshToDust

I make youtube videos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A few years ago I came across RPG Maker for the first Playstation and was amazed. I then saw a Youtube video where someone made a dark souls game from it. That was incredible. As soon as I saw that I knew what I wanted to do. After doing that for a while on the PSone RPG Maker I looked for some free game making programs and decided to use Unity. I used that for a year or two. I eventually randomly went to Steam to see what was there. I ended up finding RPG Maker MV for 70% off. That was awesome so I downloaded Steam and picked it up. Been using it ever since.

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Since RPG maker on psx then I went from there. THERE ARE NO LIMITS XD

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was told about RPG maker many years ago, around 2006 or so. Back then XP was the latest maker, so I briefly tried out its trial and made some short games. Really enjoyed it, but being a student back then, I had no money to buy it. Many years later, in 2012, I remembered my old games that I made during trial of XP and played them a bit. That got me inspired to make some more, so I looked online and noticed a new maker was the most recent (VX Ace), so I downloaded trial of that. Made a short game in it over the 30 days. Money was still low back then since I was on benefits, so when the 30 days were nearing the end, I asked myself whether I should invest in buying the full thing and make more games or if this would be the end of it. I chose to buy it to make more games. Best decision I ever made as it changed my life. 15 games later, I am still here, still loving the game dev.

Alulis

✧ ฅ/ᐠ。ᆽ。ᐟ \
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've always enjoyed a lot of RPG maker games in the past, so I was familiar with it's existence, but it wasn't until last year when I decided to buy MV and play around with it!! Granted, I only played around with it for about a month before succumbing to school pressure :kaocry:

Now that it's winter break again I'm going back into it. I figured that I love playing many of the games made on this engine, so the least I can do is contribute back!

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My oldest son, now 11, wants to be a video game developer when he grows up, so I was looking for an easy to use game engine and read an article about RPG Maker. I checked out this website and found that MV was the newest so I downloaded the trail and wanted to learn it to teach him. Got hooked and bought MV. He quickly lost interest but I did get him FES for Christmas after seeing what I was able to do he wants to make games but just doesn't have the patience yet.

Ed19

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Empty
Primarily Uses
N/A
I played RPG-Maker on the PlayStation long time ago. Ironically, I thought Gobli's Adventure is the main game of this "RPG-Maker" game, bottom line I still enjoyed it.

Around 7-8 years later, I saw RPG Maker VX, and I still follow rpg maker trends nowaday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

So in my stream for the No Travel Game Jam, I mentioned we were going to do a teaching make a game from beginning to end series of streams, but it had to wait on an announcement I couldn't make yet before I could start... Keep your eyes on our twitter tonight.
Surprise extra Text Adventure session! Feel free to drop by!
I just started parallax mapping. Better results for sure, but a lot more time consuming. It's more fun than I thought though.
After a bit of away time due to virus and friends in crisis (friends get priority!) I think things have calmed enough for me to try to resume my activity everywhere. :kaoluv:(I still been working on projects though!)
After watching 'Whisper Of The Heart' I've got the song 'Country roads' stuck in my head.
Don't mind it so much as that I was singing today at my Church. :kaoswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
starshot90