How did you start with RPG Maker?

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The year was 2000.. and Don Miguel was the hero of the people..
SNES Rips were all the rage.. and if you wanted something special, you had to event it.

HAHAHA!!! My how things have changed.. :)
-MIA

ItsAlterity

Mirroraculous Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bit of a bizarre adventure really. I for some reason have no memory of how I knew of RPG Maker, but I do know that it was linked to my interest in Fire Emblem. I ended up picking up a trial of VX Ace, but then never touched it again because soon after I got a new laptop. Then when I started working on a Pokemon hack, I had heard about RPG Maker used to make Pokemon fan games and thought that was cool so I picked up XP on sale. Pokemon Essentials felt like it wasn't the best thing for the hack I had intended, but I liked RPG Maker as a tool. I noticed MV was a thing and so I ended up hurrying to pick it up and immediately jumped into it. Now said Pokemon hack is being translated over to an actual JRPG, and not just a fan game, and honestly it's been quite a blast!

ValkyrieDesign

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I was using another program, RPG Toolkit, and then got the chance to try out RPG Maker 2K and quickly fell in love with it instead. Now I use RPG Maker VX Ace and make more polished games with it.

pandadodod

Wannabe of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well, I stumbled upon Aveyond games before and made me wonder how they made these stuff? I didn't find the answer immediately. But somewhere in 2010's that there was this forum about rpg games and that piqued my interest. Although at that time, there was only VX. Sadly, I wasn't able to buy it due to being student and all.

Fastforward 2017 when I already have some sort of income coming in from reselling thrift store toys and my discovery of Steam that I finally got my hands on RPG Maker VX Ace.

But before that, I tried the trial for both VX and Ace. I was thankful for Paladin Cleric of Awesome ( user here) that they given me a steam code of VX for free.

Now, I am working with someone in this forum to make a game. :)

Tarq

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
A friend of mine had RM2k on a floppy disk which he occasionally mucked about with. Fast forward about ten years and I'm watching him try out the demo for VX. So I did too. Then it became a bit of a rivalry to put out the better RPG. And then he just stopped using it after a couple of weeks as too many people :(
But I'm still trucking six or seven years later.

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, like a lot of people that started out with the RM series, I actually started with "RM2k" way back in the day, when it was translated by Don Miguel. I was looking for something that could help make RPG games in a similar way to the FF games of yore, but a lot of the other engines I found didn't quite seem to fit the bill. Enter RPG Tsukuru 2000.

I was instantly hooked, but I had no idea how to really use it, so I left it alone and forgot about it for a while. I started using it again about a year or so later and then came across another gem, which was "RM2k3" by RPG Advocate. It was the same great thing as before, but with slightly better graphics and SIDE VIEW! Exactly what I was looking for, or so I thought. It was fun to mess around with, but I couldn't really get into it as much as I wanted. I wasn't very good at eventing. Still not. :guffaw:

Eventually, I left it be. I had heard about XP in passing, but never cared to give it a look. Years later, I got interested in it again and was checking to see if Enterbrain would ever release an English version of the makers and saw the message about their engines being pirated. Obviously, I felt guilty. I wanted to pay for them, but they were only sold in Japan and I couldn't read Japanese, so I had grabbed those versions from before.

I thought they would never happen. I didn't know I wasn't looking around hard enough. I was led to rpgmakervxace.com, which I gravitated to because it was talking about the, then, latest version of RM, which was in English. I thought it was another pirated version, only to find out it was official! I looked around and then found RMW and got the demo for Ace. I was hooked yet again. I didn't know much about XP and I'd never heard of VX, but that changed as time went by. Thanks to @Archeia and doing some work for her, which I am still proud of to this day, I gained my official, legal copy of Ace. After that, I bought VX and XP when they went one sale. Then I heard that my old favorite makers, 2000 and 2003, were available in English and they are now part of my library.

Finally, MV was announced and due to a tight budget, I had no money to get it. I was saddened, but I figured I would eventually get it on sale the following year after release. That's where my friend @Susan came into the picture and gifted me my copy of MV. I am still grateful to her for that. Sadly, I've barely done anything with these engines, at least to the point of releasing anything of value, but that'll change this year. Even with my current circumstances, I'm not letting that deter me. 2018 will be an interesting year for me and RMing.

So yeah, that's my intro to the RM series. It was an interesting ride, but now I legally own all the ones available in English and I'm really happy about that.

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Once upon a time, got my hands on RPG maker 2003, spent a few weekends on it and started studying the basics of Ruby.
Then everything felt into oblivion...
Yet unexpectedly, MV came knocking at my door a year ago and I started working on it last summer.

Last edited:

bblizzard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Croatian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It was late 2005 and my roommate in university told me about RMXP. We kinda made up this idea for a game where two guys get stranded on a strange planet. We did a bit of mapping, but kinda stopped. I picked it up again in early 2006 and joined RMRK. I started messing with scripts and soon started making my own. The rest is history. xD

luzi

Freelance Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Around 2006, I stumbled upon a certain book in my local store when I was in grade 7. It was a book on RPG Maker XP and the rest was history.

Yulia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just read about it in some game magazine. The first RPGM version I tried was the one for PlayStation One, though I couldn't figure out how it worked so I never did any project with it.

Vaena

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
So many people have been here for years! I am just entering this territory, and just digging in, so my how is a bit more of a why, but here goes...

About three years ago I discovered a "choose your story" app through a friend that allowed user authors. I decided to publish a story I'd written ages ago, and in the process discovered my love of gaming spilled into it so much I quickly ran out of allowable code room D:

I took a brief break out of frustration and started pursuing building a VN via dino with a friend, but for a plethora of reasons at the time I went back to the app I'd already used. I finished the hand-drawn coauthored story there but chapter after chapter kept running out of room for what I wanted to achieve. Not only that, but it is preferred you use their assets/artwork there and if you don't the story will most likely be pushed into a virtual corner. Once finished, I decided my future ideas were way too "game/rpg" for the limited space on the app. (Many readers also told me it felt like they were on another app entirely, and playing an rpg.)

After I saw a friend of mine in the Instagram community had started using RPG Maker, I was intrigued and checked it out. I saw I could easily import my own assets into it, and after bouncing around between Unity 3D and here, I ultimately decided on this. A few of my stories will need to be canonically tweaked a bit to fit this format, but considering the vast amount of possibilities this has it is not much of an issue for me.

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I started RPG Maker back with RM95 when it was translated by Don Miguel (spiffy!). Then moved to RM2k and then RM2k3.

Those were honestly the golden years of RPG Making.

cddeat03

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I don't remember how I found it, but my earliest RPG maker memory is playing around in VX when I was in high school. I just thought it was cool that I could make little maps and control little characters that I made.

SpaceBot

Demon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My buddy @Paulthulhu came to be my roommate for a while, years ago, and I believe he was already playing with ACE. He introduced me to it and I've been a fan since.

dazed

dazed and confused
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been around RPG Maker for years - I think my stepdad introduced it to me because the fact that I loved games led onto that I wanted to make my own and RPG Maker was the best way. And I loved it, even though I was terrible at it, and I'm still terrible-but-loving-it today!

bjenks

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I actually started way back with RPG Maker 2000 on the PlayStation. I didn't do much with it because I didn't have the foggiest clue what I was doing.

I always put off RPG Maker until recently when I bought a game on Steam, discovered it was made through RPG Maker MV and realized that my dream of being able to create my own video game was at least more realistic than I'd ever thought before.

Clockwarkgate

RGSS2 User
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
I started with VX (cracked), finished 2 unreleased games. Basically, my whole teenage life is rpg maker. oh my

PhoenixX92

The Light Bearer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Got VX Ace in a Humble Bundle, played around with it, and discovered that I was able to actually do some stuff for it(like making characters, enemies, etc), then MV released a few years later, and I was gungho to try designing weapons, armors, and battlers for the new side-view system.

Still haven't quite gotten down how to make battler bodies that actually look decent, but my armor and weapons are on point :popcorn:

Other than that... I just like seeing how ridiculously busted I can make characters without them being totally immortal. I never really finish projects, I just get them to a decent size to where I can play them and mess around.

Astel

The (grey) knight with that funny look
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I thought I had posted in here... weird.
Anyway, I started with RPG Maker 2K by the infamous Don Miguel... a long long time ago :kaoswt2:
Fast forward to the first release of RPG Maker on Steam, which finally made me able to buy all the Makers back to the 2003 version :kaoswt:
And... that's all.

eigwayne

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm another who found RM2k back in the Don Miguel days. I was into this comic/manga, and someone made a fangame for it. You needed the program to play it so I tried it out and got into it. RM2k3 came out, and that was super exciting because BUILT IN SIDEVIEW BATTLES! I even finished a project for that maker, which was a terrible game and never published but still a huge accomplishment for me, who never finishes anything.

But then I got busy and put the program aside until something made me want to go back. Rinse and repeat until the present.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Found out someone took one of my artist's commissions, edited it and claimed it as their own. Called them out on Twitter, got blocked. Not sure whether to feel irritated or honored.
Im so glad that im into 16/32bit games because i'd never be able to create any assets for something more complex :p
I was thinking of MAYBE (a big maybe) starting an soundtrack resource thread where I would post one track per week.
Another screenshot from my 3D RMMV project, this time from an inside map:

I have lost count of how many times I have used assorted Mexican foods as test variables, or console.log messages. Listen... I just write taco a lot. :kaoswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShivaOblivion