How did your main project start?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nightblade50, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Nightblade50

Nightblade50 Developer of "Delta Origins" Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi!
    This thread is just what the title says. If you have a big game you released, or one you're devoted to, or - just whatever game you are making/have made that you love the most - how did it start?

For me, I was browsing restaff on another RM site and discovered some awesome looking sci-fi characters. I put them in a game with Celianna's futuristic tiles which I bought a while ago and tried to make an alien world with them, but I realized that tileset wouldn't work for it. So I bought DLC for alien worlds specifically and started making some maps. Then I thought up a storyline and started up work :)

2. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I was an edgelord a few years ago (still kind of am). My game started as basically a mashup between Another and Black Butler, and then I made a bunch of random sprites after just getting GCH. Then I uh... got obsessed with this really stupid idea and then it got slightly less stupid.

3. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I began to write something in late 1980s.

And I am still writing it now in 2019 (Now, it has 1,000+ pages). Although it began only because I was so awe-shocked by grace of a manga called "Five Stars Stories", over the years, it began to have its own root and lore.

But over decades, I felt the stories themselves wasn't enough. I wanted to materialize it via other mediums. So, I began to dive into learning art.

After learning that I suck at art, I diverted to learn 3D modeling instead. After becoming okay with 3D modeling, I wanted to convert the assets I made into games.
    Hence, my first game "Bhavvacakra" in 2015 with MV. Then I began to make my own tiletset and sprites and began to move away from MV.

TheNewSon and SpicyNoodleStudios like this.
  4. Nightblade50

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    In a story that I write, I have to describe the character's appearance, the scene, everything about how it all looks. Which I suck at. With a game none of that is needed

5. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Not quite the same for me.

I wanted my stories to be materialized via games.

And arts (characters) to be materialized through 3D. The avatar I have for an example. It's a 3D model.

6. Nightblade50

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm not a good writer or even an okay one, but I still want to tell stories, so I am able to do that in a video game even if I am not a good writer

7. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The universe my game takes place in is a product of many years of not falling asleep at night and just wandering into some corner of my mind.

8. SpicyNoodleStudios

SpicyNoodleStudios Aspiring Vigilante Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I was playing around, making maps for fun while listening to music. I made some maps that had an "industrial" music genre theme behind them and then I wanted to fill them out a little more, add some events and stuff. And now I've got a rudimentary combat system in place, multiple weapons, a bunch of enemies, more events than I probably need, etc etc etc.

Baggie, Nightblade50 and Ninjakillzu like this.
  9. Black Pagan

Black Pagan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Currently, I'm inspired by a Game I play a lot - "The Forest". The Theme is Survival / Horror / RPG / Exploration. I am still in the planning phase and thinking of making something similar in RPG Maker MV, Except it would be a Game about Survival on an Alien Planet and would take place in the Future.

Most of my Games are either inspired by Movies, Games or Anime.

10. TheNewSon

TheNewSon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's funny how my current main project came to be... Early this year I started a game dev course (which of course I already dropped), because apart from learning, I wanted to resume and improve a "shelved" old project. So I tried to come up with a new small project upon which I could apply what I'd learn... and boy, the concept totally got out of hand. Story, characters, locations, dates, mechanics, scenes, endings... it all flowed through my mind like a waterfall and I couldn't stop. Even after I abandoned the course, the concept remained and now it's my main project. The old one is still shelved by the way, haha!

SpicyNoodleStudios and Baggie like this.
  11. Baggie

Baggie Someone Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It started back in High School, so around like 2013.

I played both Earthbound and Mother 3 and absolutely enjoyed every moment of those games, so I sought out more games like those, but all there were, were simple rom hacks. Not that any of them were bad, I just didn't get the same feeling out of them compared to the actual titles.

Between the end of 2013 and the start of 2014, I started getting ideas together like the story, the mechanics, characters, backstories, lore and such, but I ended up dropping it 'cause the whole thing seemed useless and a waste of time.

Then 2015 came around and Undertale had just came out and everything about it gave me a similar feeling to Earthbound and Mother 3, but with it's own special twist.

So, that gave me the confidence to at least finish this project, hoping that someone out there'll enjoy it, regardless if it feels like a waste of time or not.

And here I am, still working on finishing it.

SpicyNoodleStudios likes this.
  12. Cythera

Cythera Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My main (and only serious...) project started when I complained about a popular mobile game to a good friend. Said I could plan out something better. He took me up on the challenge and sent me a copy of MV through Steam. He had to play test my first edition (which was awful). I think he lost :cutesmile:

SpicyNoodleStudios and Baggie like this.
  13. Lilly

Lilly Joy Bringer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I made at least two games already, but I wanted something new, original characters, captivating story and then I woke up one morning and felt a surge of motivtion.

Now I continue to make my game and am going to keep running up!

Baggie and SpicyNoodleStudios like this.
  14. EthanFox

EthanFox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I came to work with RPG Maker as a side project that became a big thing.

I'd just finished publishing my second book after about a year of writing, editing and, after release, attending various live events to promote it. At this point, a few months had passed since the actual launch and I was settling in to write book 3. I did a bunch of drafts of the synopsis, working it into something I was happy with, then once that was done, I decided to take a break for a few weeks, so I could come back to it with "fresh eyes" to assess it properly.

So I tried something I'd been thinking about for a while. I'd recently finished playing Steins;Gate, and not long before that, had played 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. I liked the idea of visual novels that had some gameplay elements (i.e. not "kinetic" novels) and I wondered if I could make something similar, as a form of interactive storytelling.

I looked at various tools, but I settled on RPG Maker MV because... There was a Humble Bundle going on. Also I had rudimentary knowledge of the software after a brief dabble with a previous version in ~2006 while I was living in Japan.

I was always a big fan of Ace Attorney, so part of me felt I could try to create something that involved a courtroom drama. I'd been thinking of this ever since 2011, when I saw this:

... and no, I'm not kidding. I don't know much about the modern My Little Pony series (though it looks to be a great kids/family show) but as an Ace Attorney fan, I was blown away by how the writers of that series had taken the AA formula and applied it to something so very different. It made me realise that you could make a courtroom drama out of practically anything, and outlandish stuff would probably be very entertaining.

So I had this idea of a courtroom drama game, where each case was a self-contained narrative that fed into a larger story. Initially I figured this would just be something I'd do for a week, for fun. Initially I made a courtroom setting, and just had the characters bark gibberish at each other while I built rudimentary cutscenes, and to my surprise, it ended up being far more effective than I thought it would be. Before I knew it, it had been ~two months and I was ready to release NALE Chapter 1.

My books were quite successful. I had a readership measured in the hundreds, which may not be enormous, but I was happy with what I managed to achieve. However, this required a huge amount of work in terms of promotion and learning about online advertising.

Conversely, I put NALE Chapter 1 up on Itch without much fanfare and went to sleep, only to wake up to a barrage of notifications the next day. It isn't like I was suddenly doing amazing numbers (for starters, NALE Chapter 1 only ever received 2$ in donations before I made it totally free) but soon thousands of people had viewed/played it, and I was receving messages from people saying how much they loved it. I realised pretty quickly I had to put the books on hiatus, because I'd managed to make something I loved, that others really loved, and I needed to keep going with it.

Now it's just over a year later. I've released Chapter II and I'm just starting work on Chapter III.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Baggie and SpicyNoodleStudios like this.
  15. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've tinkered with RPG Maker for quite some time. I never got serious about it until somewhere in the middle of the life cycle of RPG Maker VX Ace.

What I wanted to do was create a game with "true choices". That is, the game drastically changes in story upon making each choice. I had a "good guy" ending and a "badguy" ending. However, such a game is ultimately boring. Why? Because nearly everyone just picks the "good guy" choices.

So, I had this thought. What if the player was just forced to make nothing but bad choices? I think one of my first posts was something about this. I had a choice where you could either kill your wife and children or have the guards do it for you.

Basically, lots of feedback telling me that people wouldn't play such a game and that it was disturbing to have such a choice.

What I eventually settled on was a system in which the player decides "which is the least bad choice I can make?". I decided to create a game where even the choices that are traditionally "good" in most games, or "righteous" have unintended bad consequences. The premise of the game is for the player to "make the decision they can live with". Good things are still good things. Bad things are still bad things. But, they all have consequences that the player couldn't necessarily predict. The goal is to make the player an "accomplice" to every choice they make.

After that, I basically just decided to tinker with the game engine quite a bit and do a bunch of new things for the fun of it. I crafted the story a little after deciding on character classes and a world map.

From there, I just engaged in a ton of worldbuilding. Every single thing makes sense in the world. Yep, every mechanic, even (aside from a Game Over).

Once the worldbuilding was out of the way, I began work on the Database. I've spent about a year working on that, and transferred much of my game into RPG Maker MV, while also altering/improving several aspects of the game in the meantime.

Since then, I've decided on several dozen mechanics for the game, most of them are new takes on old systems or entirely new systems I've never seen before. I basically decided to just go "all out" if I were going to make a game entirely my own.

So... since then... still plugging away at it. Though, I don't think I really "started" on the project until I transferred it into MV. I've made the most progress on the game since then and revamped most of it once I had to transfer it.

Black Pagan and Baggie like this.
  16. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My current project? It started as a side project when MV came out where I made a little 20 level dungeon crawler to test out the battle system for The Book of Shadows. From there it started to get a life of its own once I started looking at adding a story and such, and I changed the premise to where now you are shipwrecked on an island and have to find a way off.

Pretty simple idea, but it is complicated by the fact that someone is attacking the island so no boats are leaving. So you have to help them out to get home.

Baggie likes this.
  17. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I started by trying to make a proof of concept of my battle system script that the script could be used to make a complete game. At first, I thought the project was a silly throwaway project that later I'd forget. But no, somehow it's too precious to throw away, so I tried to expand it further. Started from three random characters (and by random, I mean really random. No backstory whatsoever), I began to add more. Adding more characters and also their actual backstory.

Baggie likes this.
  18. Punamaagi

Punamaagi Hero on their own terms Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The story of my main project has roots in a dream and a strange flow-like state that followed it. I'm one of those people who've had a million story ideas (none of which have been finished so far), and in my dream, four characters from different stories ended up on an adventure together. Somehow, the idea wouldn't leave me even after I woke up, and I spent the following day more or less dreaming about the story while awake. There was something about the concept (or the way I came up with the whole thing) that made me think "this could become good".

It didn't take long before that story idea was turned into an RPG Maker game because I've liked the engine for a long time. A lot of things has changed since I got the idea - from main cast to character design and technical aspects - but the core concept is still the same.

19. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ugh, my main (well, current) project started when, after chucking my learner project aside due to having served its purpose, I was like, "let's just make a really quick, cliche game as a test run!" Over half a year later, a combination of feature creep, custom(ish) assets (mostly RTP-based though, so zzz), and the desire to make its combat and story actually feel like something with depth, here I am finishing up the last few legs of mapping and eventing. I'll probably need to skip back and change a few things to make it more sellable (it uses Harold, Therese, Marsha, Lucius, and one of the unnamed actors so I may need to go back and make them feel more...I dunno, custom? Without being PoS chibis in battle.

I do need to wrap it up, because I'm already eager to start my next project--a trip through space. :D

20. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    My main project has actually become an Worldbuilding type endevour. I make little games based in it for game jams, and whenever I think of gamemaking it's normally about Thorntop (which is the name of an island in the world (which doesn't have a name lol), Which is where I tend to base all my "In the present" games, and then other places in the world where the general history etc is fleshed out, like Corruption, which is a history of a destroyed country.

I make other little games that have nothing to do with Thorntop, but usually if it's fantasy based it's set there. I'm not sure if it counts as a main project. But none of my games are planned as 30+ hours of gameplay, each one just tells a little slice of the story of Thorntop, the history and the world around it. I enjoy the freedom of that, it means I can dip in and out of anything, and if something frustrates me in one game idea I can hop onto another but still be building the lore of the world and adding to it. Makes me feel very accomplished sometimes.

I really must remake the actually game that started the whole thing!