Renboo

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I'm a little confused on what to do when I have a room smaller than 17x13 tiles. I know if I make the room bigger, my character moving will make the camera scrolls around the map. But I have two options when it's smaller, either put pure black tiles around the room and make them impassable, or edit the size smaller and then have the parallax background set to black. But, I also want to create borders around the rooms so that they don't look so clear cut between the room and the background. This link is the clearest example of what I mean:

http://i.imgur.com/Tkr54ml.png

How would I achieve something like this, and if I did use it would it be better to use black tiles in the void of the room, or resize the room to smaller than 17x13? And how can I achieve different colours, like how the border is slightly darker where the wall drops down, and along the floor? I was thinking that perhaps auto-tiles were part of the solution, but I wanted to double check here. Thank you very much for your help

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The black space around the room appears automatically. Any space without a tile on it will appear black in game.

The borders around the room are autotiles, found on the A tab. There are Celianna's tiles, which is why they look a bit more thin and streamlined than the RTP tiles.

I'm not certain how the the vertical "posts" and the border at the front floor were done. It could be special autotiles created, but more likely whoever made this map made special pieces for those and either parallaxed the map or put them into the tileset. Without knowing a bit more about the origin of the map I can't say for certain.

But, it all boils down to you would need to use an image editing program to create those special pieces.

edit: Actually, I zoomed in and took a closer look and it looks like those pieces were edited from the autotiles:
pieces.png

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

welp, I literally can't continue working on ALEX now that my MZ trial is up (unless I somehow place in the jam which I don't remotely deserve to for my unfinished crap) so I am back on my bullshit
some test stuff. Empty for now. My other project (this project) needs more attention. The lagging really kicks up when I try to capture gameplay. ✨
Real-Time Battles, Pixel Filter, Animate Cursor & Menus & Windows | RPG Maker News #114

When your side job becomes more interesting than your dayjob and you think "do I quit again or finally actually do the same thing for more than five consecutive years..." I don't think I'll ever be able to say that though, I just cannot stick with one thing like you're 'supposed to'.
Does the word "research" imply that you're searching for something that had been found before?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mvkgant