How do I create my own pixel Battlebacks?

Blureinade

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am wondering how to create my own pixel battlebacks similar to the Final Fantasy games such as VI.  I'd like to learn how to make the battlebacks of a cave, plains, ship and a forest.

I know I could use Photoshop or GIMP to do, preferably Photoshop imo as I am more familiar with it.

So, how do I start off easily?

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've moved this thread to Art, Literature, and Music. General Resources is for sharing resources you've made. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Making a pixel battle back is tricky, there's not actually an easy way to do it. The best method is to act like you're painting a picture, just use hard edged pencil tools instead of soft brushes, then clean up and make things pixel perfect after you've got things generally right. You might want to look up indexed painting if you want something that works more like using soft brushes.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Got a windowskin working nicely to go with Mog's menu plugins.
p8BE5bj.png

tsD4gZS.png

nwpeK84.png
I am once again escalating in the kitchen. I might or might not be 4 types of cookies into baking and not finished...
Today is a great day!
A bust of my character, Lizzabelle, that I put together in GIMP. I combined the RMMZ generated face with my actual illustration of her. This is just me experimenting with busts. I don't really want to use busts in dialogue, but perhaps in the character menu.

2Ixbzbd.png
How many people actually like action commands? (Which is pressing a button at the right time during an attack to deal more damage.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
randomaccount123