How do I create my own pixel Battlebacks?

Blureinade

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am wondering how to create my own pixel battlebacks similar to the Final Fantasy games such as VI.  I'd like to learn how to make the battlebacks of a cave, plains, ship and a forest.

I know I could use Photoshop or GIMP to do, preferably Photoshop imo as I am more familiar with it.

So, how do I start off easily?

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've moved this thread to Art, Literature, and Music. General Resources is for sharing resources you've made. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Making a pixel battle back is tricky, there's not actually an easy way to do it. The best method is to act like you're painting a picture, just use hard edged pencil tools instead of soft brushes, then clean up and make things pixel perfect after you've got things generally right. You might want to look up indexed painting if you want something that works more like using soft brushes.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

edit: third time's the charm? some graphic text I whipped up that I like for the mid-game intertitle, now with all of the actual letters in the stupid damn words I was trying to spell :uswt2:
kcsmall.png
It is december, my dudes

badge_xmas.png
I love it when a plan comes together, and especially when Ruby decides to work with me when I decide to code. :kaopride:
Got sick and had to take a few days off work in order to get tested and make sure it wasn't the big one. Felt a lot better today and thought to myself, "Hey now, I can't get tested until tomorrow anyway, I can get so much character art done today!"
....I watched Youtube and browsed this site for hours instead.
>.>
But at least I'm doing the art now! Yaaaaay.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicolas974