How do I deal with animations?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Noddah, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Noddah

Noddah An Emotional Skycrapper Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello!
    Fortunately, I've been managing to move on quite well with my project lately, but I'm still struggling to figure out some things regarding animations; there are 3 questions I've gathered so I'll try to go in (what I believe to be) difficulty order.
    [​IMG]

1- How do I make the character walking animation to behave as if it was flying/floating?
    The first one, as Disorder kindly pointed out, is that her walking cycle should not be a walking cycle.
    [​IMG]
    That's the character file I've drawn: Instead of the default walking system that starts with the image in the middle and then alternates with every image in the same row, I want her to just switch to the poses on the side columns and then return to the middle column once she stopped.
    Something I'd also like to do, if possible, is to put a static floating animation when she's not moving as well, but I don't even know how I should organize the files in order to achieve that. For the time being I'm happy if I can just make her stop "walking" while she's flying. ;-;

2- How do I make animations to other actions besides walking such as opening doors and dying (in various ways)?
    Just like in this video example, I want to animate various actions and deaths, but I don't know how to organize the art files and switch the main character to do anything else besides walking.
    That question is not just for the main character but for other objects as well. Just like in the video that it contains flying daggers, stabbing flowers and clocks that fall over you, I want to have similar mechanics, with furniture suddenly moving to kill you, leaving behind their trail of death. I believe I can do the latter using events and such, but not with the main character, switching it with another animation. Furthermore, if I'm to use the default animation system for deaths and actions I can find in the project folders, that means that all of the animations can only have 3 frames each, right?

3- Enhancing the dialogue system's dynamics (optional)
    [​IMG]
    As the image shows, I'm making illustrations to make full bust conversations along with different expressions and such. So far, I'm just using the Show Picture command but, although it works, it looks far from dynamic. My biggest goal is to achieve something similar to the Fire Emblem conversation system, with smooth transitions when the images appear, tinting darker the characters when they are not talking to emphasize who's actually talking, and putting name boxes that change sides accordingly. I think I can do all of this by manually tweaking all of the images whenever the dialogue bounces back to another character, but it sounds like a huge amount of work if there's, by any chance, a plugin that already does it. Is there a more efficient way to do all of this?

I'm sorry for the long questions, but I already thank you in advance. Ever since I joined this forum I've been learning a LOT and I hope I can use all of this to make the best possible game I can for you people! <3
    I also hope that I can learn enough to be helping people too as soon as possible ;-;

Isabella Ava likes this.
  2. Isabella Ava

Isabella Ava Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Nice sprite work, bud : )

Noddah likes this.
  3. Darth Equus

Darth Equus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    Aloha.

What I do is make an animation sheet for the sprite in question (let's use Viola getting her head chopped off as an example), and put the frames on the same column as the character is before the death sequence gets started. Let's assume it's the middle column, so I'd do something that would read from top to bottom like this: Viola with blood gushing from her neck, Viola with the head separating from her body, Viola with the head further flying off/falling off her body, Viola's body without head and head further down. To animate, all I'd do is switch the character sprite and turn it right, left, and up with some wait frames in between. Then follow up with another sheet and change the character sprite and do the same turn dealio if you want to have Viola's body to start falling to her knees, gush more blood, and make the head to roll further away. A bit wasteful, but that way you get eight or more different frames for your death (or whatever) animation.

I did this for a cutscene that required a character to wake up from a magically-induced slumber, and the result was a very smooth sequence of the character opening her eyes and blinking the sleep away.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Noddah likes this.
  4. Noddah

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ooh, I've found it!
    I was having trouble to find the "Change Actor Images" command, but glad to know it's that simple!
    I wouldn't have thought of this method of turning the sprites so it reads everything in the same column. That means that each animation will have to have four frames each per file, right?

Thank you so much! I'll start drawing the new animations right away! <3

5. Darth Equus

Darth Equus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    Exactly. If you want to use more than just four frames, simply make another sprite sheet with the following frames reading from bottom to top and turn the sprite in reverse: left, right, down. And if you need yet another sheet, you repeat the sequence from step one. And what I just outlined for a fourth sheet, and so on, and so forth until your animation reaches a quintillion Exabytes. :wink:

6. Eurritimia

Eurritimia Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There are plugins like this one and this one that might help you. I tried them both but ended up doing stuff using events.

Noddah likes this.
  7. Noddah

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The second one seems a little harder to use but it seems great! I'm definitely giving it a try, thank you so much!!
    Now I just need to learn how to make the ghost float in the correct way ^^"