RePeat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Alright, so I'm designing a new map and placed animals but they won't walk around no matter what. For testing I created a new event and it still doesn't work. I only added a sprite and movement. I set it to random movement - nothing happened. Then I made a custom route of "walk to the right" x4 - the NPC turned to the right but never walked. The rest of the event is all with the default settings. What am I doing wrong? What I'm looking for is NPCs walking a set route on loop.

Update: when I tick the box that allows the NPC to go through everything he will walk, but that also means that he will walk right through the player character. Something seems to block the NPCs path but I don't understand what. The area is just regular ground which the player character can move on no problem. I'm at a loss.

Update 2: it seems that the thing blocking the NPCs were the numbered color things that control ramdom encounters. So I guess I figured it out already... I just hope future generations can learn from this thread.

Last edited:

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It sounds like the event cannot pass through its adjacent tiles. Some ideas:
  1. Can the player pass through those tiles?
  2. Are there any events on those tiles? By default events will not walk into, or over, other events.
  3. Have you used autotiles for the ground? Some autotiles have special passability rules.
  4. Are you testing from a new game (recommended), or continuing from a save?
  5. Are you using any plugins? If so, try turning them off in the Plugin Manager to see if that helps.

RePeat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It sounds like the event cannot pass through its adjacent tiles. Some ideas:
  1. Can the player pass through those tiles?
  2. Are there any events on those tiles? By default events will not walk into, or over, other events.
  3. Have you used autotiles for the ground? Some autotiles have special passability rules.
  4. Are you testing from a new game (recommended), or continuing from a save?
  5. Are you using any plugins? If so, try turning them off in the Plugin Manager to see if that helps.
Thanks for the reply. I removed a couple of the numbered tiles for random encounters and that seems to do the trick. I was not aware NPCs couldn't walk through those.

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Regions should have no effect on passability unless you're using plugins.

Good to hear it's working now, though! Happy RPG Making~ :kaojoy:

RePeat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Regions should have no effect on passability unless you're using plugins.

Good to hear it's working now, though! Happy RPG Making~ :kaojoy:
Well that's bizarre. I don't use plugins either. Thanks though! Removing the numbers is legit the only thing that helped, though I guess I'm open for alternative solutions just in case there's something else I missed!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

While was working on one of the monsters that will appear in my horor game I may have made harold a Lovecraftian monster. (I used his head to keep things aligned.)
Finally got my website fixed and the security sorted so it's been a productive day. Can I go to sleep now? I mean... I don't need to work right?
It's always a good idea to refresh yourself on what your plugins do. I'm working on a map with opening walls, and I was about to tear my hair out over how much image editing and hand-constructing of autotiles I'd have to do, when I looked again and saw @Shaz 's Tile Changer could copy areas from another map.
"sorry it took me so long to respond" - can we please agree not to say that anymore unless it actually took a long time?! (Like 36hrs at least) I mean, I'm running out of funny responses here xD
Ugh... 4:53AM over here and I can't sleep so why not just game make.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phobium