RePeat

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Alright, so I'm designing a new map and placed animals but they won't walk around no matter what. For testing I created a new event and it still doesn't work. I only added a sprite and movement. I set it to random movement - nothing happened. Then I made a custom route of "walk to the right" x4 - the NPC turned to the right but never walked. The rest of the event is all with the default settings. What am I doing wrong? What I'm looking for is NPCs walking a set route on loop.

Update: when I tick the box that allows the NPC to go through everything he will walk, but that also means that he will walk right through the player character. Something seems to block the NPCs path but I don't understand what. The area is just regular ground which the player character can move on no problem. I'm at a loss.

Update 2: it seems that the thing blocking the NPCs were the numbered color things that control ramdom encounters. So I guess I figured it out already... I just hope future generations can learn from this thread.

Last edited:

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It sounds like the event cannot pass through its adjacent tiles. Some ideas:
  1. Can the player pass through those tiles?
  2. Are there any events on those tiles? By default events will not walk into, or over, other events.
  3. Have you used autotiles for the ground? Some autotiles have special passability rules.
  4. Are you testing from a new game (recommended), or continuing from a save?
  5. Are you using any plugins? If so, try turning them off in the Plugin Manager to see if that helps.

RePeat

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It sounds like the event cannot pass through its adjacent tiles. Some ideas:
  1. Can the player pass through those tiles?
  2. Are there any events on those tiles? By default events will not walk into, or over, other events.
  3. Have you used autotiles for the ground? Some autotiles have special passability rules.
  4. Are you testing from a new game (recommended), or continuing from a save?
  5. Are you using any plugins? If so, try turning them off in the Plugin Manager to see if that helps.
Thanks for the reply. I removed a couple of the numbered tiles for random encounters and that seems to do the trick. I was not aware NPCs couldn't walk through those.

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Regions should have no effect on passability unless you're using plugins.

Good to hear it's working now, though! Happy RPG Making~ :kaojoy:

RePeat

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Regions should have no effect on passability unless you're using plugins.

Good to hear it's working now, though! Happy RPG Making~ :kaojoy:
Well that's bizarre. I don't use plugins either. Thanks though! Removing the numbers is legit the only thing that helped, though I guess I'm open for alternative solutions just in case there's something else I missed!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Worked on a cutscene skip domino effect using Maker Systems' script as the basis. Basically if I have a batch of cutscenes in a row on different maps, now when you skip one cutscene it will skip the entire set. No more spamming X to skip a scene every new map.

Oh and it will work regardless of where you do it from in the set. Convenient!
seems absolutely WILD to me now all the hundreds of hours of work I used to do in 2k(3) over a decade ago with a resolution of 320x240. that seems so insanely TINY now, seemed so normal at the time!
Playing Aroma Indosiar theme song.
Aroma is an Indonesian TV show about cooking. :)
Working on a characteeer! (Why is it so hard to color hair?) ;-;
Silly-Sketches.png
Just finished eventing a couple simple puzzles in RMMV, for my very first game "Sample Quest." Just messing around, throwing things together, and calling it a story XD On a non-RM note, got my hair cut today!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IntoTheDrink