Croco

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm trying to make an OFF fan game/tutorial using sprite sheets and custom sprites.

But I'm having trouble with the size of the square on the tileset.

off.PNG

How do I get the tileset in a perfect square and not being in awkward halves?

WhiteW

The Murderous Clown
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN/PT
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Each square is 48x48 pixels. So your squares will need to be that big.

But if you don't want to make 48x48 tiles, you can use Shaz's plugin to change your tile size to another https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/change-tile-size.46748/

Also, just in case, as you mentioned custom sprites, in case you don't want your sprites to be 48x48 either, you'll need to add a prefix "!" to the filename.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The info given by @WhiteW is incomplete.

There are six different formats for tilesheets, one each for the slots A1 to A5 and the sixth format for the B-E slots.
ONLY the tilesheet for B-E contains nothing but regular 48x48 tiles - in a grid of 16x16 tiles.
The A#-Tilesheets contain different collections of different autotiles, going from 288x144 pixel animated floortiles over 96x96 pixel wall autotiles to reguar ties of 48x48 pixels.
And you can only replace a tile with a different tile of exactly the same type in the sheets.

Details are in the help file, or you can use the existing tilesheets as guideline.
As for how an autotile is constructed, go to the official blog top right and search for a tutorial "anatomy of an autotile".

Croco

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The info given by @WhiteW is incomplete.

There are six different formats for tilesheets, one each for the slots A1 to A5 and the sixth format for the B-E slots.
ONLY the tilesheet for B-E contains nothing but regular 48x48 tiles - in a grid of 16x16 tiles.
The A#-Tilesheets contain different collections of different autotiles, going from 288x144 pixel animated floortiles over 96x96 pixel wall autotiles to reguar ties of 48x48 pixels.
And you can only replace a tile with a different tile of exactly the same type in the sheets.

Details are in the help file, or you can use the existing tilesheets as guideline.
As for how an autotile is constructed, go to the official blog top right and search for a tutorial "anatomy of an autotile".

ok. I'll try! I kinda understand what you said.

Which help file? What is the name?

Last edited:

Weremole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Select the Help option in the editor and it'll load on your browser.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The easiest thing to do would be to copy the RTP tilesets and rename the copies, and then edit them, keeping the same kinds of tiles on the same sheets (one for water, one for ground, one for buildings, one for trees, and anything with transparency goes onto one of the B-E sheets)

Croco

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Select the Help option in the editor and it'll load on your browser.

The easiest thing to do would be to copy the RTP tilesets and rename the copies, and then edit them, keeping the same kinds of tiles on the same sheets (one for water, one for ground, one for buildings, one for trees, and anything with transparency goes onto one of the B-E sheets)

So just use photoshoped to make em big?

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Depends on where you want to use them, as Andar said each tileset fron A1-A5 and the B-E tilesets have different formats, so just making them bigger may or may not work.

Croco

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm sorry. But now I'm more stuck than it is helping me.

p0_boy

anti-kumbaya
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
These two Medium articles by Bot were extremely helpful to me in terms of understanding how to make custom RPG Maker MV tiles:
They take about 10 minutes each to read.

Also, I am not sure what application you are using to construct your tiles but I recommend Piskel in combination with Adobe Photoshop (using the Grid preferences turned on).

Good luck.

Croco

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
These two Medium articles by Bot were extremely helpful to me in terms of understanding how to make custom RPG Maker MV tiles:
They take about 10 minutes each to read.

Also, I am not sure what application you are using to construct your tiles but I recommend Piskel in combination with Adobe Photoshop (using the Grid preferences turned on).

Good luck.

I hvae PSCphotoshop and Piskel already. Is that good?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So just use photoshoped to make em big?

No, you are not changing the size. The default tilesets are already the correct size, and have the correct number of tiles. You are making a copy of them (so you don't damage the originals), and replacing what's on them with what you want to be on them.

In whatever program you're using, set up a grid that's 48x48 and that's how big each tile needs to be. You cannot have more tiles vertically or horizontally than the default tilesets have.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How do I get the tileset in a perfect square and not being in awkward halves?
your problem here is that
1) the tiles are not positioned correctly
2) the tiles are (probably) not made for RPG-Maker MV

As for 1, there are different tiles in the RM-Tilesheets, from animated autotiles (which are 288x144 pixel in size) over several different non-animated autotiles to regular tiles of 48x48 pixel. Each type of tile needs to be in a position where it is supposed to be - which contains more than just size. For example the animated autotiles are three regular autotile-frames next to each other, and they (and only they) work correctly in the A1 tilesheet. You need to lear WHERE to place which tile for this problem to fit

2) RM-Tiles, especially autotiles, are NOT simply collections of pixels. There are some tiles in your example that might look the same as MV-Autotiles to you, but if you check them more precisely they use the format of XP-Autotiles, not MV-Autotiles.
Those will NEVER fit into any MV-Tilesheet even with resizing, because XP-Autotiles had a different structure based on 3 instead of the base-2 quartertiles of MV.

Croco

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I figure it out! thanks!

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My new 49" monitor has been dispatched from the warehouse. Will it arrive tomorrow? The day after? I love that we can track packages now, even if it does only tell me when it's left that end and when it's arrived at the local centre. As long as it doesn't end up in Melbourne again, which has happened before ...
My friend's doing a surprise stream of my game Origin Hunt on Twitch here ! Feel free to stop by :yhappy:
Me, designing it a long time ago: Having an optional boss fight as a random chance to trigger when you fish in a certain spot with a certain type of bait is fun! Cool idea!
Me, trying to playtest everything again: oh god just let me see the boss, my bag is so full of fish!
both love and pain have no boundaries

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
icemar