kaitoes

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Every attempt just looks odd, mostly with how the tiles are set up. I guess my problem is figuring out how to make a pattern that repeats seamlessly. any tips?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's a few suggestions!

If you're using custom water tiles, try your best to continue making water tiles that "break the grid", meaning make them messy to a point where it's hard to tell where the tile grids are. I know it may be kind of vague, but that's the best way to approach something like that. Just keep testing it out until it seems passable.

An alternative solution is to make still-water tiles for the main center of say a lake, and then make animated "water edge" tiles that would be on the edges of whatever the ground is. This trick could help stimulate the idea that the main body of water is moving as well.

And above all else, you could also try instead inserting picture(s) of animated water while making the open beds of water "transparent" so that the animated water only appears in the open beds.

Featherbrain

Prehistoric Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One thing I'll do when making tiles in general is put copies of the same tile all around it to check that they are seamless with the image editor.

For animating tiles, consider the 1-2-3-2 cycle you have to work with. If the water is lapping against a shore, the water is at its low point in frame 1, at the middle or "default" position in frame 2, and at its highest point in frame 3.

Use the default tiles as a reference/starting point if building it from scratch isn't working.

Wecoc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Catalan
Primarily Uses
RMXP
If you already have a normal tile, you can skew it and still get another pattern that tiles, something like this.

skew-water-effect.png

I believe that's how default MZ wave effects work, it kinda does the trick. On previous makers the central tile doesn't change at all and it's all about moving the "shiny" lines on the borders.

WecTools has an option to automatically animate a tile (32x32 by default) with wave effects as well, which you can recreate manually using a template. By default it's this one:

wave-effect.png

This template moves up 4px on each frame and applies a transformation, always on the "original" tile. That transformation is moving down 1px each pixel that's over black.

Here's the result. It doesn't tile as good as the original, but usually it's good enough, and you can always polish it a bit later.

wave-effect-tile.png
water-effect-animated.gif

I hope that helps :awink:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you mean drawing animated water?

kaitoes

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for all the advice!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Working on a characteeer! (Why is it so hard to color hair?) ;-;
Silly-Sketches.png
Just finished eventing a couple simple puzzles in RMMV, for my very first game "Sample Quest." Just messing around, throwing things together, and calling it a story XD On a non-RM note, got my hair cut today!
I feel the need to inform everyone on the forums NOT to go with Web Hosting Canada for your hosting needs. It is by far the worst customer service and just overall experience I have ever had with hosting and I am Canadian...
BCj
Got another eye surgery monday. Hope I'll recover quick and all's well. A bit tired of surgeries. On a happy note, working on the next chapter of Escalia so hope I can continue soon :)
Celebrating the arrival of autumn in the Northern Hemisphere :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kotfwing