How do I have a faceset image change in the middle of the game?

TenebrisCrow

The Kelphy Corp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Is there a way to replace an entire faceset with another? So if you wanted to change the gender of a character it would use a different faceset but keep the same messages?

Thank you.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yes and no.

you can change the images of an actor with the event command, but that does not affect the show text commands.

however there are some message plugins that add new textcodes to the engine, and those often include commands like "use face of actor n".
If you look to find one such plugin with that command and have your show text commands use that instead of manually setting the face, then any change done to the actor face will automatically appear in the text windows.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Actors have a setFaceImage function you can call to do this. It takes two parameters: the filename and the index.

So

$gameActors.actor(1).setFaceImage("Actor4", 7) will change actor 1's face image to the 8th face in the graphic Actor4.png.

Edit: as Andar said, you would need to use a plugin that allows you to show the face of a particular party member rather than a specific one. Otherwise you'd need a conditional branch that differentiates the actor's gender some other way.

TenebrisCrow

The Kelphy Corp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Actors have a setFaceImage function you can call to do this. It takes two parameters: the filename and the index.

So

$gameActors.actor(1).setFaceImage("Actor4", 7) will change actor 1's face image to the 8th face in the graphic Actor4.png.

Edit: as Andar said, you would need to use a plugin that allows you to show the face of a particular party member rather than a specific one. Otherwise you'd need a conditional branch that differentiates the actor's gender some other way.
Will that just change the actors face in menu's or the message face? Because I'm struggling to understand sorry if it changes message face.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Will that just change the actors face in menu's or the message face? Because I'm struggling to understand sorry if it changes message face.
So by default, in a message, the face graphic used is simply whichever one you chose in the "Show Message" command. It has no link to a particular character if you use it like that.

Some plugins, like VisuStella's Message Core, let you put text codes in messages that override this and use the face graphic of a particular actor or party member.

The code I gave you will change the actor's face in the menu, but won't affect any messages you've specified a graphic for. UNLESS you're using one of those plugins, in which case if you were showing an actor/party member face it'll change in the messages too.

TenebrisCrow

The Kelphy Corp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So by default, in a message, the face graphic used is simply whichever one you chose in the "Show Message" command. It has no link to a particular character if you use it like that.

Some plugins, like VisuStella's Message Core, let you put text codes in messages that override this and use the face graphic of a particular actor or party member.

The code I gave you will change the actor's face in the menu, but won't affect any messages you've specified a graphic for. UNLESS you're using one of those plugins, in which case if you were showing an actor/party member face it'll change in the messages too.

Ah thank you! I will have a look at that plugin. I appreciate the help!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Making his first game
This scene was suppose to be a test... but now, it's going in the game as official side/optional content. :kaosalute:

functionality(This is function demo not game demo)
1 The door of ABS map can open upon clearing all the monsters
2 Secret room/road arrow/lighting/whatever others can be shown upon clearing too
3 Boss HP bar and loot effect, loot jump and item name color as well as the pick-up animation effect
4 Back to town and "victory aftermath" screen for ABS maps/rooms
Playing one of the two RM2k3 games I was best known for back in the day, one I made in the Spring semester of my Freshmen year in college like 15 years ago, feeling all kinds of ways about it. I have not played this game in WELL over 10 years. I feel a million years old RN.
One of these days, I need to find/figure out how to replicate the Brave/Default system. Heheh...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frishu