How do I make a my own custom Battle Background?

Croco

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wanted to make a simple abstract background art similar too OFF. It'll make it easier for me to use fewer backgrounds to make my game a bit quicker.

But, how do I do it?

offs.png

Doktor_Q

I'm not a real doktor, but I am a real Q
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV's battle backgrounds are made of two layers, though you don't have to use both. In your game folder, the images are stored in /img/battlebacks1 and /img/battlebacks2, respectively. Any images you drop in there can be used As for actually making them, you can use any image editor you want, be it Photoshop, MS Paint, or whatnot.

Any image you use should probably be the same size as the game window or it'll look weird- if you have a plugin to change the window size, you can check the size there, if not just make something the same size as one of the existing backgrounds.

Croco

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV's battle backgrounds are made of two layers, though you don't have to use both. In your game folder, the images are stored in /img/battlebacks1 and /img/battlebacks2, respectively. Any images you drop in there can be used As for actually making them, you can use any image editor you want, be it Photoshop, MS Paint, or whatnot.

Any image you use should probably be the same size as the game window or it'll look weird- if you have a plugin to change the window size, you can check the size there, if not just make something the same size as one of the existing backgrounds.
What kind of plugin is that?

J-G

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Simple create an image the size of the resolution your using and place it in any battle background folder. Now if you want to give it depth then make a 2 part, one to look like a wall or whatever your using as atmosphere and place in proper folder and the one for the floor and place in proper folder.
Just remember to make the proper portion of each transparent.
To make it easier to do this, simply use any software that uses layers and place one image on one layer, then the other on a separate layer and start erasing what you don't need until it looks like what you want to achieve

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What kind of plugin is that?
Changing the screen size has effects on the window size if not playing in fullscreen mode, and effects the resolution and detail level if playing in fullscreen. There are several plugins that allow you to do that, but if you're satisfied with the default size then you shouldn't do that at it requires you to handle several things that are automatic if you don't change the screen size.

However as said that has nothing to do with creating battlebacks, it only means that you have to give them a different size if you do this - that is one of the many additional things required on manually changing screen size.

Croco

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Simple create an image the size of the resolution your using and place it in any battle background folder. Now if you want to give it depth then make a 2 part, one to look like a wall or whatever your using as atmosphere and place in proper folder and the one for the floor and place in proper folder.
Just remember to make the proper portion of each transparent.
To make it easier to do this, simply use any software that uses layers and place one image on one layer, then the other on a separate layer and start erasing what you don't need until it looks like what you want to achieve

All right! I'll just check on what's the image size of the orginal_BG, and then copy that size and decorate my abstract art to it.

Like that?

J-G

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, its just copying the size

Croco

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh jees. It's been a while since I upgraded my PC to a more powerful one.

also thank you. I'll try it!

Croco

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's my bg cause I feel like I haven't showed you my bg beforePride  BG battle.pngshell-as-legs1.png

When I put them both, The background (the first top) seems to cover up the ground and it doesn't show any vines on the battle screen.

Annotation 2020-01-16 135940.png

And the BG I made didn't appear in the battle mode.

Last edited:

J-G

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did you make sure they are in the correct folder and to make whatever is needed transparent? If not then the bottom part won't be visible

Croco

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did you make sure they are in the correct folder and to make whatever is needed transparent? If not then the bottom part won't be visible
I decided to drop the bottom and decided to use the top background similar OFF did.

But I tried putting it in BG2 folder and it's there, but when I started playing the game, it just shows the default green plain field

J-G

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can you provide screenshots of everything you did and where they are located please?

Croco

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can you provide screenshots of everything you did and where they are located please?

Annotation 2020-01-16 143755.png

Annotation 2020-01-16 135940.png

It looked "fine" when it was on preview, but when I started playing...

rpg help.png
It's not there.

Is it the wrong size of my bg? How do I resize it exactly like the defaults? How do I change the numbers?

J-G

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Click the image and at the bottom it should tell you the size. It should be 816 by 624 I think. Other then that I'm not sure why it's not showing. Have you tried on actual game and not just on battle preview

Croco

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Click the image and at the bottom it should tell you the size. It should be 816 by 624 I think. Other then that I'm not sure why it's not showing. Have you tried on actual game and not just on battle preview
I checked the image size. 1000 x 740

J-G

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you click the other background you should see there size. Try resizing to match and see if that helps

Ossra

Formerly Exhydra
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You will need to specify the battle back within the map properties. Right-click on the map that you are on, select 'Edit', checkmark 'Specify Battleback' (if necessary), click on the button beneath the 'Specify Battleback' text and then select which graphic you want to use.

Croco

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You will need to specify the battle back within the map properties. Right-click on the map that you are on, select 'Edit', checkmark 'Specify Battleback' (if necessary), click on the button beneath the 'Specify Battleback' text and then select which graphic you want to use.
bg help.png

It actually worked, although I need to resize the whole thing...

I know the pic size of the default bg size, but what software do I have to change the size to the exact number?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you don't need the exact number - all battlebacks are larger than needed to allow for screen shaking (if the screen shake were done with a picture that is only as large as the screen, you would see the picture borders as soon as the shake moves the picture).

That said, most people use GIMP or Photoshop for their image needs. For minor resizing you could also use a picture management program like ThumbsPlus or ACDsee, although those are not as good for image editing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Made Custom ENEMY Information Screen
I'm having such a hard time thinking of an interesting battle system. and not being a coder, certain things I wanna do seem a lot harder lol.
Created a character outline with some code. I have no use for this. I'm....bored.....
Having lots of fun using different PS brushes to add a lil' texture to the floors and walls in my maps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmbor