greensdream

"GREEN'S DREAM" developer page
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've got a character in my game who cannot remember their previous abilities. I'd like a skill that can recall one of a set number of random skills. Kind of like Tellah's "Recall" skill from Final Fantasy 4 or the "Mystery" skill from Space Funeral.

I'd like to only have one ability listed for the actor, yet I'd like for it to do one of four predetermined skills. Let's name this skill "Rouse Memory" for the sake of this thread, and I dunno, it will make the player do either "Fire," "Ice," "Earth," or "Wind."

Riku_Masamune

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You'd have to create a plugin that'd add that skill in, because even if you add a skill in the database, it opens a menu. But since you don't want the player to chose, it'd have to be a plugin... Though... if you just made it an ability you could: Make the spell and have it open a common event that would chose from variables to chose what to do on a certain variable chosen.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The best way would to use a "Metronome Skill" type of plugin, like this one.

Since you only need 4 skills to choose from, it would also be feasible to do this without a Plugin: Have your Rouse Memory skill do nothing except play a Common Event, and that Common Event would pick a random number 1 through 4, and if it's 1, the character uses the Fire Skill (via Force Action), if 2 they use the Ice Skill, etc.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
or you could simply have a mystery skill call a common event, in that common event use control variable to randomly select one other skill to be used in force action.

EDIT: ninja'ed

greensdream

"GREEN'S DREAM" developer page
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Since you only need 4 skills to choose from, it would also be feasible to do this without a Plugin: Have your Rouse Memory skill do nothing except play a Common Event, and that Common Event would pick a random number 1 through 4, and if it's 1, the character uses the Fire Skill (via Force Action), if 2 they use the Ice Skill, etc.
You're absolutely right, this is what I'm trying to accomplish, but Variables are one of the tougher concepts for me to wrap my head around. Since Variables are so open-ended, it's hard to find a tutorial that explains them in a way that applies to what I'm trying to accomplish...

EDIT: I figured it out! In "Control Variables," I Set the Rouse Memory Skill to a Random value of 1-4. Then I used four "Conditional Branch"es to Force Action depending on the value it picks. (I also made sure to reset the value back to 0 after the Skill is used.) Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 11.53.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 11.53.28 AM.png
    448 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You're absolutely right, this is what I'm trying to accomplish, but Variables are one of the tougher concepts for me to wrap my head around. Since Variables are so open-ended, it's hard to find a tutorial that explains them in a way that applies to what I'm trying to accomplish...

EDIT: I figured it out! In "Control Variables," I Set the Rouse Memory Skill to a Random value of 1-4. Then I used four "Conditional Branch"es to Force Action depending on the value it picks. (I also made sure to reset the value back to 0 after the Skill is used.) Thanks for all the help!
Yup, on first blush your eventing looks perfectly correct to me. Glad you got it working!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

SF_People1_3 added!
index.php

I haven't been on here in forever wow(missed my forum birthday T-T). Anyways, I'm dabbling in BGMs, here's something I'm actually willing to share.

Binge-watched 6 episodes of the Erased anime... And that means I've watched half of it?! Sigh...
I'm bad at base-building games (looking at other players created an aesthetically beautiful base compared to me), but IDK why I keep playing the game and seek more of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidusa121