grungewitch

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I want to make a realistic shopping part in my game, I want the player to go to different shelves in the store and pick things to buy. I am completely unsure of how to do this. I can explain more in detail exactly what I would like to achieve in part of my game but at this point am still unsure of how to even make this work.

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For classic settings you could display all items in shop as events, with a confirmation to outright buy it (posed as a question from the shopkeeper) or grab it to "pay at register" the latter would include a switch/variable flipping to add a price and item to be added once the player goes to the checkout.

In the case of shelves on a more modern setting having multiple items you would need a text explanation of whats on the shelf, their price and ask the player what to grab for their shopping cart/basket then adjust switches/variables as needed adding price and "to be added to inventory items" properly organized so when player pays for them the money gets deducted and the items added properly.

Its a tad more complicated on the long run than simply adding a shopkeeper with a list of sellable goods or the display items and buy example above as you will require variable/switch management to make your own shopping system, totally doable on the base maker though.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For an even more basic version than that: just put an event on each shelf in your shop. Make that event pop up its own shop processing with only the items you want to be on that shelf. Easy peasey.

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Hello welcome.
Will the player have to go through the cashier to pay at the end?

JRPG games in general are based on times before the industrial age, where this concept of the customer being able to touch products before purchase did not exist.
In this concept you want to remember a little GBC Zelda games:
Where the player took the desired item to the counter, but it was possible to trick the seller and rob the store, but the consequence was too bad. I just commented because it's really the only game I remember having this mechanism.

Another thing that would lose the sense of realism would be the ability to buy 99 of each item and get them all, and that number wouldn't even fit on a shelf.

Another thing would be that after the purchase you would have to wait a period of hours for the merchant to receive a new shipment of items.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Finally was able to record the rest of the game demo! I added some edits here and there, this is why it takes me so long to do stuff cuz I find a problem and have to fix it asap. x.x
Game: https://dj990j.itch.io/region-of-mythos
Databasing. Just with what I consider "bare minimum", I have listed over 200 skills. That's not all of it, and isn't even considering skills that only 1 class would realistically have. lol

It's a Spanish devlog don't get scared!.
Just read the forum rules just for kicks and rule 14 reminds me of this:
150.jpg
I'm in the process of converting all locks and intimidate/persuade dialogue options into D20 DC based success/fail (modified by player skill). Before, it required a certain flat amount you had to meet, but with rolls, it offers more freedom. For instance, you can repeatedly try to unlock a door instead of just not meeting the requirement to unlock it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yanis773