How do I make a spell that does random elemental damage?

Guyver07

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm trying to make a spell that does low power random elemental damage. Do i need a plugin or is there a way to randomize the damage type in MZ?

Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Create four (or however many) skills that are identical except for the element, and have the enemy choose randomly between them.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Create four (or however many) skills that are identical except for the element, and have the enemy choose randomly between them.
That's presuming this is for use by an enemy, not the player - the OP didn't say.

I'm trying to make a spell that does low power random elemental damage.
I Googled it and came across this thread which has a kind of janky but functional solution:
"Make multiple instances of your skill, all with the same name and the same stats, but different elements. Create a Common Event that is triggered by each of these spells. Set this Common Event (that is activated every time after any of the variations are used) to have the character forget all of the variations of the skill. Then have it choose one of the variations at random that the character learns. "

What that leaves out is that in order for the common event to know who is forgetting and learning the skill, you'll need to put a temporary state on the actor when they use the skill - have the common event look for the player in the party with that state, do the stuff it does above, then remove the state again.

So this is similar to what Aoi proposed, but with extra work to have it work for players.

Guyver07

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I meant a player spell (sorry for not specifying). It sounds like that will needlessly complicate it and might not be worth the effort. It's good to know though. The enemy skill might be useful later on though. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I think it's ready - Chapter Selection:
unknown.png
On another more gaming topic, I paid 20 bucks for a visual novel to emotionally destroy me. I may write an entry about that.
1638611395177.png
Reading about metaverses recently. I can totally imagine myself in the future, logging in with VR glasses to a virtual beach villa sitting in a virtual chair, with a virtual laptop facing the sea...coding 16-bit RM.
Mod name: "[Game name] Gameplay Overhaul"
What they actually mean: "Here is a mod that makes the game harder."
I decided to reinstall one of my most favourite game of all times, Gothic 2. Time to get back to Khorinis!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yumeowari