How do I make attack work?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by LUKElcs, Aug 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LUKElcs

LUKElcs Veteran Veteran

United States, Michigan, some place in Michigan
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am at a loss here. I simply want my characters to be able to attack. I would think
    that tutorial would exist somewhere on the internet.
    Search for it on forums, nothing.
    Search for it on youtube, nothing.
    Search for it on GOOGLE, and... Surprise, surprise: NOTHING!

Please help me.

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    What is your skill 1? Skill 1 is what is called when you use attack, so that has to be set up properly for that.

3. LUKElcs

LUKElcs Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    could you just point me to a tutorial? that'd be easier.
    basically, imagine you wiped all the skills, classes, and character clean and are starting
    from scratch, cuz that's what I did.

4. boikish

boikish Always trying to help :) Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  5. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Never wipe the default skills. There are notes in those skills that you are expected to read that tells you important things. For example, you cannot wipe the following:

Skill 1: That is for Attack
    Skill 2: That is for Guard
    State 1: That is for KO.

You would actually be better off creating another new project and copying the skills and states over from those, and then studying those to see how they work.

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There are reasons why the defaults exist - the fact that the game needs a skill #1 and #2 to be able to function is only one of them. Another example is that without a HIT%-Trait, the Hit rate is always zero and all physical skills will always miss.
    and you'll need some items on every database tab to be able to test the game early.

That is why the defaults exist, and why you should only replace them after you have something to replace them with and know what you're doing.

So your best course now is to start a new project (one that still has the defaults) and use that as a base for learning how the engine works.
    I wrote the starting point tutorial linked in my signature specially for new users to help them learn the basics as fast as possible - but that asap usually still takes a month or so depending on your free time.
    Because the RMs are easy to understand - but not effortless, you need to put in some hours of learning.

7. LUKElcs

LUKElcs Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Andar @boikish @bgillisp
    Thanks for the support. I've already done enough in the game (and don't know enough about
    the file sorting for MV, which would be a whole different adventure if I wanted to start a new project
    and copy all the stuff over) so I created a new project called... "the game where I look at stuff" so I can
    look at all the default stuff, and copy over anything I need. I don't think I cleared states or traits, but I could be wrong.
    Either way, this isn't truely my first RPG Maker game, just my first MV game, so I doubt it will be scrapped, and I really
    don't want to. (hey, the only game I've finished so far was my first, back when I used Fess on the 3DS)
    Whatever, basicly the issues been solved, thanks for helping. I had no idea such basic aspects were so
    tangable in this version, but I guess some games would need that kind of flexibility. too bad you can't just load
    the premade stuff, like in FESS, but I'll just remake them. Thank. :LZSwink:

8. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Glad it worked. Having that second project to just look at things is handy. I used it in my project to try ideas I was afraid might break my game first too, so it can be useful for more than just looking at things.

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

LUKElcs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.