How do I make customized non-generic puzzles?

Ahmed_SH

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
Greetings everyone.
Now this might seem like a vague question but I'm looking for your guidance
what I want is to make a custom puzzle that is programmable and somewhat different to the generic push buttons, pull levers, enter numbers puzzles
This feature I saw quite heavily in both RM2k3 and 2k and it was absolutely beautiful.. Though it disappeared in the following versions (at least in the games I played)

Ok, what am I talking about here? I'll show you some examples of what I'm looking to make, but not exactly something like that.
first we have the puzzles from the beautiful game Lavender

We also have Schlud (2k)

or even to go the extra mile and make something more fancy like a mini-game inside your game, just like in yume nikki

How are these done? are they scripted or programmed somehow? I searched all over the internet for those but didn't find any information, thank you in advance, have a nice day!

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My guess is that the majority of those are scripted.

Titanhex

Do-It-All
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Sorry Shaz but they aren't. A handful of these games like Lavendar are rm2k/3 which has no scripting.

Fortunately these are easy to do. Values are assigned to variables and altered by input from the player.

A lot of these are moving pictures or events that are being manipulated as images.
I have tutorials that illustrate how this is done with demo and a tutorial series that covers it on YouTube.

Ahmed_SH

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
Sorry Shaz but they aren't. A handful of these games like Lavendar are rm2k/3 which has no scripting.

Fortunately these are easy to do. Values are assigned to variables and altered by input from the player.

A lot of these are moving pictures or events that are being manipulated as images.
I have tutorials that illustrate how this is done with demo and a tutorial series that covers it on YouTube.

In which video exactly?
could you provide me with the link please?
thanks

Titanhex

Do-It-All
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/thex-tutorial-series-from-beginner-to-advanced.72794/

This is my entire thread with a playlist.

You want custom menu tutorials. Evented and picture.
However, you will probably have to do some precursor tutorials to get up to that point so take your time.

If I get the chance I'll provide the rmvx ace demos too, but won't be able to access them til Monday. To see how those work you will need that software. The MV demos I'm currently setting up for ******* access.

Ahmed_SH

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/thex-tutorial-series-from-beginner-to-advanced.72794/

This is my entire thread with a playlist.

You want custom menu tutorials. Evented and picture.
However, you will probably have to do some precursor tutorials to get up to that point so take your time.

If I get the chance I'll provide the rmvx ace demos too, but won't be able to access them til Monday. To see how those work you will need that software. The MV demos I'm currently setting up for ******* access.

Well this is not exactly what I was looking for but thank you :)

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A handful of these games like Lavendar are rm2k/3 which has no scripting
You're right - I completely overlooked that they were 2K/2K3 games.

Titanhex

Do-It-All
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
They might not be exactly but they are the foundations. Without the principles in the tutorials, you can't do these kinds of puzzles.

Ahmed_SH

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
bump, any ideas guys?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You've got ideas, and you've been given tutorials. If you need more help, you need to be more specific - what puzzle are you trying to make? What have you done to implement it? What troubles are you having with it? This forum is for "how do I ..." but you haven't actually said anything specific about what you're trying to do. If you want ideas for other non-generic puzzles, that belongs elsewhere.

Titanhex

Do-It-All
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
So, look at this minigame:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/te5zqhg1sy9dzvm/Focus Demo.exe?dl=0
Just start it by touching the hatch in the top right.

Completely Evented.

A lot of these puzzles turn the player into something else. Like a hand or reticule. They then make it so the event follows the hand when the player hits enter on top of it. Or the reticule shoots something out and kills the event it's on.
There's a lot of simple, small mechanics in these minigames.
Some of them wait for player input to become active. Some of them just use variables, or switches.

It's about understanding the engine. I cover a lot of those small things the engine can do in my tutorials. It's up to the player to figure out how to put them together to make something.
Because making 100 tutorials for 100 puzzles is silly when I can make 10 tutorials that each teach a person how to make 100 puzzles if they have the creativity to do so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

RPG Maker Ready Glowing Ball Animation By LVGames
Enjoy -No Credit Needed But Appreciated - https://lvgames.itch.io/glowing-ball-sprite-pixel-fx-rpg-maker-ready
Ugh....When you spend hours doing something and then end up scrapping the idea >.<
Random joke of the day: This morning a man wearing a face mask robbed a supermarket in the town center. So far the police has arrested 240 suspects.
Hosting competitions using your game is always so nerve wracking!!!
Social distancing is great, apart from trying to work from home while the guy up the road now has ample time and apparently the only way to fill it is to ride his dirt bike up and down our street all day :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nasavat