How do I make my own tilesets?

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by FLONKEZ, Jun 19, 2016.

1. FLONKEZ

FLONKEZ Warper Member

First Language:
    Swedish
    What is the easiest and best way for me to make my own tileset? What programs can I use? Some other tips and tricks on how to make it?

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There are tutorials here on how to make a tileset.

Photoshop, GIMP, Paint.net (NOT Microsoft Paint)

Export/copy the default tilesets to see the format and follow that format.  Learn what images belong in what tileset slots (animated water, ground, trees, walls, ceilings, buildings, roofs, etc) and make sure you put your tiles on the correct sheets for that slot.

3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You need to be careful of what you're talking about and not confuse two different things: tilesheets and tilesets.

Tilesets are defined in the database and consist of several tilesheets each, but from the context I'm assuming that you want to know how to make tilesheets.

There are six different formats for tilesheets (you can read about that in the help file), but all those formats can be done in any image program like GIMP, Photoshop and the like.

Make sure that the program you're using supports both layers and transparency (MS Paint does not) and has grid settings.

Autotiles are the hardest tiles to make, there are several tutorials about them in the official blog.

Edit: ninja'd

4. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

5. boomy

boomy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If you want to make individual tiles:

My tip is stick to simple pixel-art style graphics first. RTP-like graphics and realistic graphics are much harder to create for beginners.
    If you want to make your own tiles then [google image] search for "pixel art tree tutorial" or "pixel art grass tutorial"
    There are tons of resources on the web to help you with creating your own tiles.
    As for programs, I use GraphicsGale for pixel art. GIMP and Paint.net are more powerful free paint tools

6. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    My favorite program for pixel tile creation is Pixel Edit.  I recommend it a lot.  There's a free much buggier old version but the full isn't expensive at all.

If you're new to making tilesets I highly recommend editing and adding to an existing set first.  Tiles are way more work than they seem and it's better to have something to work with when you burn out.