How do I Register my Game?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello! I'm an ultimate noob. I've read that after you purchase an RPG Maker engine, you have to register the engine and the game you make with the company before legally selling it. However, I haven't seen anything on the official site that allows you to do so. I've purchased several engines, but all of them are on Steam. RM 2003, XP, VX Ace, and MV. I'm hoping to finish a demo for an MV game soon, with some assets used from VX Ace. Does anyone know where you're supposed to do the registering? I've heard that Steam does some of this automatically, but I'm not sure at all. Sorry if this seems like a stupid thing to ask about.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you purchased them on Steam, you're already registered.

If you purchase the standalone version, you'll get an option on the startup screen that allows you to enter your activation key.  But you don't need to worry about that.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
And I don't know who told you that you had to register the game you make.  That is totally untrue.
I thought I read it in a legal document that comes with the engine ... 

Anyhoo, so if I purchased an engine on Steam, then I'm already legally covered? I want to so everything as legally as humanly possible. I even made a credits list page of possible extra resources I MIGHT use before I even try to make an official credits page in the game.

(On an unrelated note, one of your games happens to be on my Steam wishlist! Yay! I might see about it in Xmas, maybe. It looks so superior to anything I could make)

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just take care with resources.  There are a number of sites that make resources available but they don't have the rights to share them, and they often don't provide credits or terms of use.  It's important, whether you're planning on making your game commercial or not (but especially if you are), that you make sure you know who the artists are and follow their terms.  At worst, you could be sued, or your game could be taken down, which would tarnish your reputation with players and distributors who may not want to take the risk with you again.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just take care with resources.  There are a number of sites that make resources available but they don't have the rights to share them, and they often don't provide credits or terms of use.  It's important, whether you're planning on making your game commercial or not (but especially if you are), that you make sure you know who the artists are and follow their terms.  At worst, you could be sued, or your game could be taken down, which would tarnish your reputation with players and distributors who may not want to take the risk with you again.
Thanks for the advice.

I read Terms of Services carefully, and I refuse to use anything if it doesn't have the most obvious Terms of Service for me to see that says commercial use is allowed. I wonder why some people like to post resources without giving Terms of Service.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Because people like to have access to lots of resources, and it makes them popular.  The more resources they can give people, the more popular their site will be.  Who cares that the resources weren't posted for sharing, or are a paid product?  These people have no regard for the resource creators, or for the game developers who use them.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ksjp17 @HappyDannyLovely

Yes, you read it in an official document - in the EULA of RM2003 (or RM2000), and only there - no later maker has that requirement

It has to do with the problem that for many years, only pirated translations of those old makers were available and the official, legal versions were only released 2015 or so.

And as a result they put the need to register the engine at a special email into those EULAs as a condition to release commercial games made with that engine.

But that applies only in case of those old makers and only for commercial use of them, no other maker so far requires that extra registration.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@ksjp17 @HappyDannyLovely

Yes, you read it in an official document - in the EULA of RM2003 (or RM2000), and only there - no later maker has that requirement

It has to do with the problem that for many years, only pirated translations of those old makers were available and the official, legal versions were only released 2015 or so.

And as a result they put the need to register the engine at a special email into those EULAs as a condition to release commercial games made with that engine.

But that applies only in case of those old makers and only for commercial use of them, no other maker so far requires that extra registration.
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Who loves the Final Fantasy series?~
Weather and time system twin release. Now with weather icons and possibility to add them in your custom clock!
Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders is finally being ported to PC. I loved playing that game on the original Xbox.
A friend told me to stop making nomnom or gulping noise when eating or drinking. Plot twist of my life. I thought people can't hear that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilfpower