How do I rotate complex images without blurring them...

CEO1234

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was experimenting with complicated and intricate patterns (either for Yanfly's doodads or just events) for my game. I wanted them to spin around at different speeds. The bigger ones would rotate slowly while the small ones would rotate quickly. After I finished a large pattern, to create its animation frames, I tried simply rotating it in Aseprite and noticed that it became completely unrecognizable. Then I tried using Gimp but it just became blurry. Then I tried using Pyxel Edit and it was distorted like how it was in Aseprite. These 3 software are what I currently have for editing and creating images. I want Photoshop, but I hear it's quite expensive.

Since the patterns I want are so complex, I don't think re-drawing them every single frame would be practical. But simply rotating them manually isn't working either. What cheap software (or even free) do you recommend I could use that won't have this devastating effect? Or perhaps I'm merely doing something wrong? Thanks!

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
gimp is one of them, or krita, but there was 2 other nice ones for free as well.
but rotating an image should blurr though, so have no idea.

Grim Fantasia

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As soon as you start rotating your image the pixels of the rotated image may no longer align with the pixels of the grid that gets presented to the screen. That means that some sort of interpolation has to kick in. No interpolation is perfect, especially if you have very few pixels to work with the results will always look ... rough.
Nearest Neighbor interpolation quickly results in unrecognizable images especially in the details of the image. Bilinear or Cubic interpolation results in blurriness if you have to few pixels.

Depending on the image I would suggest starting with nearest neighbor interpolation for the "pixel style" look and then continue doing some post-editing to get the final results that you want.

CEO1234

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've found a tutorial online and will have a look at that. Don't know how to find the nearest neighbor interpolation option in Gimp though (using Gimp 2). I feel like Gimp is the most promising one I have so I'll see what I can do. If anyone else has anymore advice that would be great but in the meantime I'll do some more digging myself about the issue.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
krita is closest to prohotoshop, and have better features than gimp and photoshop
together. but see what fits you and works for you.

some works flows in all photo editing programs are different, so find the more
comfortable one that suits your needs.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Isn't there a Rotate Picture command? If you use these images as pictures as a trial, and use the Rotate Picture command, does the distortion still happen? If it doesn't happen, then don't worry about rotating it outside of MV at all - just request a plugin to apply the Rotate Picture logic to event sprites and doodads.

CEO1234

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, it doesn't really rotate it the way I would like it to. I want it to spin from the center but it spins from the top left (or right I believe) and makes it seem like it's doing cartwheels. Hehehe... anyway I'll look into Krita.

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I want it to spin from the center but it spins from the top left (or right I believe) and makes it seem like it's doing cartwheels.
Note that the Show Picture and Move Picture commands have an Origin option: "Upper Left" or "Center". Rotation happens about the picture's origin. :)

CEO1234

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I have Krita now and perhaps I'll use that to try and create an animation. And the center rotation option worked for images. It may rotate properly, but no matter what coordinates I input, it always sits on the top left and the picture always follows me around (it's a pretty big image).

So using the pictures method isn't practical. Especially since mine are so big. Because the patterns are so big, I think making a doodad or event animation is also impractical. So perhaps I will make a plugin request like Shaz recommended. But that seems like a bit of a hefty request... I don't know if I want to pay anyone, but maybe I could do something in return. I wonder if a plugin already exists where I can use it to rotate large and complicated images without too much quality loss (for use in events and doodads though, that seems unlikely).

If no such plugin exists, I think requesting one for only regular events is more fair (since you'll need to study another plugin that you now need to pay for just to create the plugin). I mean, at least I think you need to pay for Yanfly's doodad plugin now. So, if anyone knows about such a plugin for rotating, please let me know. I'll start searching myself too and see what I can find.
--- ---

Alright, so the closest thing I could find was this plugin: https://atelierrgss.wordpress.com/rmv-character-motion/

But I don't know if it can rotate things 360 degrees. I also found another thread discussing this issue, but I don't know if it was ever solved:

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/rotating-events.87713/

They mentioned using something called a PIXI object, but that requires JS knowledge which I don't have yet. So it seems like I may need to request something after all.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Degica has discounts on Humble for games and older Makers. I don't know which A-train to choose. :-D
Hey, uh...refresh my memory. What do i do if I want a thread I made deleted?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
XenoCore