How Do I Safely Dissect Source Code of an RPG Maker: VX Ace Game to Check if It's a Virus

Rudostan

Descent Game Programmer/ Terrible Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
One game is rumoured to be a virus and that's why it got taken down from Game Jolt. I would like to check this out myself. Does having the file merely downloaded on computer safe? Is it only dangerous if I launch the game? What are common places for putting hostile scripts?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can download a game and there is only a risk of getting a virus when you run it.

Nobody here is going to tell you how to "dissect" code of someone else's game - that's hacking and you can't get help to do it here.

I don't know if it's as much of an issue now, but I know a LOT of VX Ace games (and XP, and probably VX as well) used to get flagged as having a virus years ago. It was almost always a false positive.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
highly depends on how the game is compiled.
if it's the full packed game, you can't open it from the outside, but if it's the non-compiled build, you can put those files over a new project file and open them with the editor, even if you don't have the original editor file.
it won't work 100%, but you should be able to read the scripts file and look at the code.

additionally you can download a standalone Ruby interpreter and read the files from there, if you know the code.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Almost all VX Ace games get flagged as a potential virus these days, at least for me. Highly annoying.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Variation two of my nameless protagonist- now with color!!
WIN_20220815_21_48_46_Pro.jpg
thoughts?
Fun question - how do you manage the scope of your projects? All of my projects seem to balloon until they pop and they are suddenly nonexistent!
no I did not just have to write a song three different times because my music software doesn't support tempo changes!!
I WILL defeat this demonic USB connection notification bug
ScreenShot_8_15_2022_6_22_24.png
Mike trying to dodge the Memory Pawns invading Bantam Street. I like how the filters I used on the map almost make it look like the street is wet in a sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MallowMal