How do I show a number of pictures in a sequence?

Raze334

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm new here. Just learning as I go.
I want to show 7 pictures, 1 at a time.
I don't understand why my event setup isn't working.
The first picture shows, then event #1 replays its audio in a loop. Event #1 picture does not return (which is good)
The first replay has the first picture in the sequence I want to show AND the level behind it. Here
The second and infinite replays show a black screen.

Event #1
Event #2

Without the pictures the events run smoothly. The first event plays just once, and the second event plays properly.
Adding in those pictures breaks the event flow.

Can anyone help?

ElCheffe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Could you post the complete script of the second event, please?

In addition, you should always add an ending condition to an autorun event. Easiest way would be to trigger a self switch as the last event command. Then create a second event page and mark the self switch checkbox on the left. Leave this event completely empty.
As a result your autorun event will start, run trough once, and afterwards terminate itself as the self switch is activated and the first event page will now be ignored.

9tkitsune

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
I don't know if I'm misunderstanding but - wouldn't it make things easier for you, if all pictures appeared on the " picture #1 " layer? instead of a different layer for each new picture...? ( I assume they are full screen ) so you don't have to "erase" each one...
And wow they each stay for 600 frames huh..? : o

I hope that can lead to a solution?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
instead of waits, you should have the pictures wait on player confirmation.
some people are faster or slower than others, and a fixed wait is a bad choice there.

just a sequence of
show picture
show text (invisible, no text, no brackground, just so that the player has to confirme the invisible text box with a action button)
erase picture
next picture sequence, repeat as needed.

Raze334

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't know if I'm misunderstanding but - wouldn't it make things easier for you, if all pictures appeared on the " picture #1 " layer? instead of a different layer for each new picture...? ( I assume they are full screen ) so you don't have to "erase" each one...
And wow they each stay for 600 frames huh..? : o

I hope that can lead to a solution?
Thanks for the tip! I made the layer changes and it's almost working now. The picture sequence is working. Unfortunately Event #1 is also replaying its audio in the background, and the level (that should appear AFTER all pictures are shown) is already loaded and shown at the same time as the picture sequence.
600 frames was just so the player has enough time to read the text, but that's not set in stone, it can be less.

Thanks again! One step closer.

Raze334

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
instead of waits, you should have the pictures wait on player confirmation.
some people are faster or slower than others, and a fixed wait is a bad choice there.

just a sequence of
show picture
show text (invisible, no text, no brackground, just so that the player has to confirme the invisible text box with a action button)
erase picture
next picture sequence, repeat as needed.
Agreed this is a much better solution, to give players as much time as they want to read the text in each picture. I just didn't know how to implement it. I wanted a "Press Enter to Continue" option but didn't know how, so I settled with wait times for the time being.

Thanks for the help, I'll remove the wait times and follow your direction for the picture sequence.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
and the level (that should appear AFTER all pictures are shown) is already loaded and shown at the same time as the picture sequence.
the most important rule of all cutscene is that they should be controlled by a single event.
splitting commands between different events almost always results in timing problems.

and yes, that even counts if you have multiple events pretending to be people - because you can remotely command them.

Raze334

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Could you post the complete script of the second event, please?

In addition, you should always add an ending condition to an autorun event. Easiest way would be to trigger a self switch as the last event command. Then create a second event page and mark the self switch checkbox on the left. Leave this event completely empty.
As a result your autorun event will start, run trough once, and afterwards terminate itself as the self switch is activated and the first event page will now be ignored.
I tried to add a self switch, but it doesn't do anything. The event replays its audio until the picture sequence is complete, then the correct flow is shown.

This only happens when I add the pictures. Without the pictures, Event #1 only plays once (even without a self switch) and Event #2 plays as expected.

Something about those pictures is causing the Event #1 audio to loop..

Raze334

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
the most important rule of all cutscene is that they should be controlled by a single event.
splitting commands between different events almost always results in timing problems.

and yes, that even counts if you have multiple events pretending to be people - because you can remotely command them.
Oh I see. So I should separate the picture sequence into its own event. That might work. I'll try it now.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Fire-Emblem Style Level Up System, Boost on Class Change, And Animated Arrows | RPG Maker News #115

Why keyboards don't sleep? Because they have two shifts.
I realized a while ago my game was toooo big in scope. even now I wonder am I trying to do too much by myself. and that's after completely changing the format of the game.
Last week at SLC. Cali awaits. TBH I love SLC more than SF.
Back home now. I had a good time, but I had a checkup this morning so I had to come home for that. Now I'm just waiting for my therapist meeting tomorrow...
Decided to work on Wishful Wanda today. Since it's a BFB spinoff game, I decided to make the Huang brothers
Easter eggs! I'm actually pitching this to the BFDI team, btw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sernyx