How do I transfer a player to a new map and immediately board a vehicle?

TakumaGao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Trying to make an ending sequence, and it's not quite working how I want it to...

1631477131905.png
Once the screen fades to white with Tint Screen, I'm trying to transfer the player to a dedicated credits screen. The credits screen is just a bunch of water that scrolls vertically, and I want to have the player be inside the Ship, traveling through the water, looping forever until the credits end.

1631477241397.png

This is the credits map. The player is transferred right on top of the ship.

1631477271873.png
This is the left event there. Credits dialog has not been implemented yet :p

1631477325555.png
This is the right event on that map.

So... What am I doing wrong? How do I accomplish this properly, so that when the screen returns from being white, you see the ship sailing upwards as the credits roll?

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The player needs to be on land and the boat next to him and the player needs to be facing the boat.
So it would be best to have the player get on a boat then transfer to the credits map.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just to tweak what Ronincator said, in case it's not obvious - that might involve an additional map that serves no purpose other than to have a block of land and a block of water.
While the screen is blacked out, you transfer the player and boat there in the correct positioning, board, then transfer the boat again to your credits screen and fade in.

Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Since this is for a cutscene, I think the simplest solution would be to make your character transparent (Character -> Change Transparency... -> ON), and create an event that looks like a ship. Then, make both the player character and the ship event move in the same direction.

For the ship event, simply make Autonomous Movement -> Type: -> Custom, set the route to Move Left and enable Repeat Movements.

Your credits event would start by setting the movement route for your character to Move Left with Repeat Movements. Make sure that Wait for Completion is turned off, or the credits themselves will never start (since the player is moving forever).

You'll need to turn Through ON for both the event and the player character, or else one of both may get stuck somewhere (like the water). Since you want the ship to move in the same direction forever, you'll want to make your map loop horizontally, and ensure that there's never an obstacle in the way of your ship (it doesn't matter for the player character, though, since they're supposed to be transparent).

Of course, the above is assuming you want the ship to move left. If you intend to have it move in any other direction, just choose the direction appropriately.

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Hello, try to put the player on the boat before transferring the map:
Code:
@>Fade out
@>Transfer Vehicle: Ship, [XXXX:Final Scene] (008,005)
@>Get on/off Vehicle
@>Wait: 25 fps
@>Transfer Player:[XXXX:Credits], Left, None
@>Fade in

If I have any inconsistencies in my code, I'm sorry, Steam's RmVXA opens in my operating system's non-English language.

Tip: Change the "Credits" event to "Autorun" instead of "Parallel Process".

Good luck

Syberduh

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I would put the board ship command in an autorun event in the new map instead of after your transfer event on the old map.

Like so:

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would put the board ship command in an autorun event in the new map instead of after your transfer event on the old map.
I won't say you're wrong - it's probably best practice to do this. But I've seen a number of threads claiming that event commands after transferring off a map will malfunction and, in my experience in my games, it's not the case. I have always had an event conclude all of its commands (including, recently, one involving a transfer and boarding a boat :wink: )

Your mileage may vary.

Golden Unicorn Gaming

Savior of Astoria
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Nolonar has this 100% right and it's the easiest way to do it. It's also the consistent way to lead into cutscenes. I did this a ton with my game, and it's exactly what you are trying to describe.

TakumaGao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Since this is for a cutscene, I think the simplest solution would be to make your character transparent (Character -> Change Transparency... -> ON), and create an event that looks like a ship. Then, make both the player character and the ship event move in the same direction.

For the ship event, simply make Autonomous Movement -> Type: -> Custom, set the route to Move Left and enable Repeat Movements.

Your credits event would start by setting the movement route for your character to Move Left with Repeat Movements. Make sure that Wait for Completion is turned off, or the credits themselves will never start (since the player is moving forever).

You'll need to turn Through ON for both the event and the player character, or else one of both may get stuck somewhere (like the water). Since you want the ship to move in the same direction forever, you'll want to make your map loop horizontally, and ensure that there's never an obstacle in the way of your ship (it doesn't matter for the player character, though, since they're supposed to be transparent).

Of course, the above is assuming you want the ship to move left. If you intend to have it move in any other direction, just choose the direction appropriately.

I can't get this nor the other one to work. The player character just doesn't move along with the ship. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong...

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But I've seen a number of threads claiming that event commands after transferring off a map will malfunction and, in my experience in my games, it's not the case.
That is because it depends on the event itself.

The problem with map events is that they do not exist when the map they're on is not loaded - and only the map the player is on is loaded. So any transfer will delete the events on the previous map, including the one that is currently running.
However the engine needs an update step to do that - the deletion does not happen inside the event/game interpreter itself.

So if the event contains a sequence after a transfer that causes even a single mapupdate, then all commands after that update vanish and are not processed. But if the event contains only a few direct commands, then the game interpreter can conclude it without problems.

EDIT: and trying to teach that difference to a newby is not easy, so it's better to advice against having commands after the transfer

I can't get this nor the other one to work.
There are a few things that have not yet been mentioned and that you might want to check:

1) the get off/on vehicle command does nothing but simulate the enter key required to enter a vehicle. It does NOT mystically make the player use the vehicle.
What I mean by that is that the command ONLY works if the player is in a valid position to get on the vehicle. For example he needs to face the vehicle - if he is facing the wrong direction the command will fail without message.

2) In some cases, too many parallels can make the timing go wrong and mess up the structure, especially if you don't have waits (in parallels, a wait command means "skip this event processing for x frames", allowing other processes to work better and reducing lag).

3) giving multiple set move commands will result in the move route constantly being overwritten - sometimes before it can be executed.
If you have a repeating move route, you only need to give that command once - not sixty times a second like your event above does.
Either make the repeat move route "wait for completion" or disable the parallel process after giving the set move command. Don't keep the double looping you have currently.

Last edited:

TakumaGao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think I got it working. What I did was change the actor's graphic to a ship, give them stepping animation, and transfer them to the credits map. Then I set up only one event, on autorun, which looped the player in an upwards movement route (no wait) and then displayed the credits.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It's a Spanish devlog don't get scared!.
Just read the forum rules just for kicks and rule 14 reminds me of this:
150.jpg
I'm in the process of converting all locks and intimidate/persuade dialogue options into D20 DC based success/fail (modified by player skill). Before, it required a certain flat amount you had to meet, but with rolls, it offers more freedom. For instance, you can repeatedly try to unlock a door instead of just not meeting the requirement to unlock it.
Since we get very close: If you want to enjoy the advent calendar as it is intended, wait til your date and the day in the URL line up, so you have the final day on actual christmas and not the day before... time zones ;3
1638170340913.png
Crossover Inn is getting very crowded, and I love it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nastyboydima