How do people partner up for projects on RPGM?

PKayge

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I am finishing up a game and a friend who's playing it says it inspired him to work with RPG Maker again. He wanted to partner up on a project and see if it would be more efficient getting two people to work on it together and also keeping each other motivated. If we both have the same engine on RPG Maker is there a way for both of us to use the engine to design separate parts of the game together?
I'm curious if anybody else has done something similar and how their view of working like this changed.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If they're truly separate parts, then you just work on it separately. You can occasionally upload your project to Google Drive or something, your partner downloads it, opens it, copies the parts you've changed into his project, sends you the new combined version.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Thank you.

ThomasBellissimo

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This sounds like it would be a fun project.

Switz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Divided Reigns was made by two of us. It very much requires A LOT of trust and patience. But what we did is we used Trello to break down the workload and who was responsible for what. One party could not begin working on something the other party was working on and hasnt marked it as ready for example.

As for sharing completed work, we used our website to upload our newest builds back and forth. Websites will only run you $20 to setup and then $5-$10 annually per year. However, Google Drive can do the same thing. BE CAREFUL when doing this so that your upload does not overwrite something your partner is doing. This happened a few times for us until we learned to only upload specific files and ALWAYS put a screenshot of the files in the upload on Trello so the other user could ensure none of the files would overwrite what the other was doing.

Below are some areas that we ran into that make the whole thing sound awful, but it was all lessons learned the hard way in hopes that you and your friend can avoid. Overall, our efforts ended well. We made a game we are both very proud of, became very good friends during the process (even if there were some days we were not on good terms), and more importantly - as with EVERY SINGLE developer who has touched RPG Maker knows - we kept eachother motivated to keep developing because now it was no longer your own work that would be lost down the memory hole of uncompleted games, but it is also their hard work also. That gives you a much higher reason to not quit, keep pushing, and dont let the other down.

Tips:
Break down roles and stick to them

For example, in Divided Reigns, I was the lead visual guy and my partner was the lead story developer. I handled all the artwork, character creations, commissions, mapping and animations. While he was in charge of all of the dialogue, eventing, battle system and script work. We communicated any time we had to cross grey boundaries like installing a new plugin one of us needed.

Keep to your roles! Everything will start all hunky-dory, but as time and years go on - that 20th time you or he changed something of yours and you or they felt it wasnt the same quality as you had it - causes friction. You will need to change some of the stuff the other has done, but communicate it. Give him/her the option of changing it or allowing you to produce a "placeholder" or a "inspirational attempt" at it so the other can spruce it up. But at the end of the day, you will need a final decision maker for parts of that game. Again, I suggest whoever's role that part of the game was for should end up having the final say. If you aren't flexible and it always has to be your way, it will cause severe issues. As you can expect we had a bit of a roadblock with this that built up over time and came to a head one day. We patched things up and began communicating much more again like at the start of development and it made everything right. We became good friends again and learned to work together better than before. Just keep this in mind because your setup (he approached you in collaborating) sounds exactly like how we ended up working together.

Compliment eachother often
Sort of the reasons above, but understand that both of you are pouring your soul into this project. Their latest update might not be exactly what you had envisioned, but it was their best effort. Never ever tell them it was bad. Instead tell them that you wish to modify it and to see if what you have to show makes sense to look at revising what they did.

Go ahead and assign event 0-2000 to one person and 2000-4000 to the other
Trust me lol. A lot of my maps were extremly tight so I had enons of unders/overs/etc events on the regular. Multiple heights, transparencies - just a thousand reasons I always needed a ton of events in my mapping. Nothing kicks you down more than realizing after three or four updates down the road that the awesome crazy map you did a few months ago is now a garbled mess because the other reused your events. Heres why - when you only send select files such as events.json - it doesnt carry over the names that you named the event. So all the other sees is a blank space and thinks its free. It took us way too many years to Barney style it and just assign me to only 2000+ to avoid that from occurring anymore.

If you dedicate one person as the visual person like we did
Not only did I do the maps, but I also did the battlebacks. However, my partner did the actual battle system. So, often times he would get ahead of himself in the story and already have a certain monster art in mind for a part of the game I havent created yet. Be sure that your visual guy knows EXACTLY what type of battlers you plan on using. This will help them greatly when they are designing the environments.

Finally, don't rush eachother or focus on a release date
Avoid talking about release dates until the game is DONE. Depending on game length, set up a very healthy time frame for a solid Beta testing to occur. About halfway through Beta Testing, you should be in a place finally to look at a release date 3-4 months away. Why so long?

I'm assuming the game will be commercial. There is SOOOO much involved after the game is finished. Never rush. You have your trailers to consider, a demo to deploy, store and advertising artwork, polish, and tons and tons of advertising. We unfortunately crammed all of this into just two months, which was incredibly stressful. (Our final launch day trailer was finished and compressed just 2 hours before release :LZYshock:). You should be feeling 100% on release day, not putting your finishing touches on it just hours before lmao! But I do got to admit, we did it. Barely lol.

lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yes human, that could work! It's a great idea for one human to do assets and the other to-

wait...

*rereads post*

Two game makers doing the game make at the same time?! Are you mad?!?!

*stares outside of window*

Some people are going to burn the world before I do.

I need a team mate.

PKayge

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Switz

That was a lot of documentation and I don't think I read one thing I disagree with :D I had not thought about things like assigning one person events 0-2000 that's definitely big brain. I'm bookmarking this post and will be revisiting it when/if we get started. Thank you so much for all of that glorious input!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm working with Excel today, and I just hate VBA so much. It's like the designers said "How can we make a programming language that works as obtusely and inefficiently as possible?"
Beep-Beep-Motha-facka.gif

Just finished and uploaded the delivery truck base/sprite sheet. I've been steadily replacing the default assets with early modern alternatives. The air-ship for a biplane, horse-drawn wagon for a delivery truck, and next a sailboat for a steam-powered passenger liner (think of the SS Olympic and RMS Titanic).
I caught a shiny magikarp on pokemonGO today AND finally saw Detective Pikachu and it was so cute and I'm still so hype AHHHHH!!!
one of the coolest things I've learned from the forums is the ability to give yourself a hitbox. I have a move you can do on the fields. shoulder tackle. thanks to the forums, that tackle triggers self A switches on some events. NPC's and the environment now react to the tackle. awesome.
I really liked how this one turned out! :kaopride:
WYqMPf6.png

Character (Yes, this is a character): Nibiru the Primal Being from Yugioh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarasyring