How do remote devs collaborate with RMMV?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by professorbeej, Mar 17, 2019.

1. professorbeej

professorbeej Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey, folks!

My co-author and I are working on an MV game based around our Steampunk novels Nimbus and Stratus. The problem is that we live a considerable distance from one another now, so being able to collaborate side-by-side like we did with the books isn't possible.

I was thinking that we use Github to do it, each working on a different branch and then merging with the Master when we get ready to pull a new version locally.

I know for sure this will work when we are dealing with plugins and JS scripting, but is this the best route for managing the entire project?

2. NinjaKittyProductions

NinjaKittyProductions Professional Murder Hobos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Github is good to use for this. So is Google Drive for sharing. I would also suggest Discord or other communication tool for sharing screenshots and better communication.

Bonkers likes this.
  3. professorbeej

professorbeej Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, we text and call and all that constantly about it. We tend to use Drive for our documents and whatnot. I was thinking about Girhub for the project files and making sure the maps and JSON was up to date on both our sides as we work on separate elements.

4. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can also use discord as a hub for calls, pinning messages to file sharing services, and doing quality assurances. I've done this now with several projects and it's been a life saver on finding files after moving to other parts of production. Trello is another good collab tool, but takes more time invested.