professorbeej

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, folks!

My co-author and I are working on an MV game based around our Steampunk novels Nimbus and Stratus. The problem is that we live a considerable distance from one another now, so being able to collaborate side-by-side like we did with the books isn't possible.

I was thinking that we use Github to do it, each working on a different branch and then merging with the Master when we get ready to pull a new version locally.

I know for sure this will work when we are dealing with plugins and JS scripting, but is this the best route for managing the entire project?

NinjaKittyProductions

Professional Murder Hobos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Github is good to use for this. So is Google Drive for sharing. I would also suggest Discord or other communication tool for sharing screenshots and better communication.

professorbeej

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Github is good to use for this. So is Google Drive for sharing. I would also suggest Discord or other communication tool for sharing screenshots and better communication.

Yeah, we text and call and all that constantly about it. We tend to use Drive for our documents and whatnot. I was thinking about Girhub for the project files and making sure the maps and JSON was up to date on both our sides as we work on separate elements.

Bonkers

I haven't seen you since the plague.
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can also use discord as a hub for calls, pinning messages to file sharing services, and doing quality assurances. I've done this now with several projects and it's been a life saver on finding files after moving to other parts of production. Trello is another good collab tool, but takes more time invested.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The new cards and what they do:

(I am clearly not a youtuber... Haha)
Just for the record you CAN use the "Exclude unused files" successfully to trim a project down seriously even if you're doing calls to various assets via plugins and such. BUT you need to do a full playtest of pretty much every option to ensure you did get every one of those other assets added in. Then I dumped the assets into a fresh copy of the project and yay it was like 400 Meg......
party time.png
If you've played Knight Shift Chapter 1 this image'll mean something to you. If not, that's also fine!
Here's a medical question for ya: Why do I start lightly coughing after I drink coffee?
Well, someone "reviewed" my game. Didn't credit me anywhere in the video and spent 2 minutes insulting it. Going to ignore that and move on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNTeon