How do the sprites in generators work?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by captainette777, Apr 29, 2018.

1. captainette777

captainette777 Mad Scientist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Let me clarify--

I see people upload sprite bases alot. I hear that they're supposed to be used as templates for sprite artists to draw on and edit as
    they please--for example, tall sprites. Though I wonder if it's possible to add new sprite types into the generator, I just don't understand how or if it's even possible. I remember seeing someone post a set of tall sprites, but saying it's not to be added to the generator, only to be edited by sprite artists. This makes me wonder if there are things like tall sprites, animal people, etc that can be added to the generator.

I'm sorry if this comes out garbled, I can clarify even more if needed. Basically, I'm asking if it's possible to add custom sprite bases like tall sprites and such directly to the generator.

Sauteed_Onion likes this.
  2. Grunwave

Grunwave Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    First thing I did, when I got a hold of MV, was import as many generator parts as I could find. I even made a couple custom ones.

That was over a year ago. It is a riddle of sorts, but you can figure it out with some work. If I get some time soon, I will try to go through and explain it in detail.

I assume this is what you mean at least?

captainette777 and Sauteed_Onion like this.
  3. SmashArtist

SmashArtist Lazy Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's a video that shows how you can add custom pieces to the generator. Hypothetically you could make an entirely custom generator, but watch out when you update your engine, it will remove all custom parts I'm pretty sure.

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The problem here is that all parts of a generator need to fit to one single template for the generator to work.
    You can exchange sets of a single template (basically male, female and child are three different sets), but you can not mix parts that are for different templates.

That is the reason why most nude templates are for use by artists only - not because they're special but because they're missing the hundreds of different clothing and face parts neccessary for a generator to work with them.

captainette777 and Sauteed_Onion like this.
  5. Grunwave

Grunwave Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

Yeah that Tutorial should be a great start for you. Maybe ask questions after watching and applying the info, and then 'we' can help you further. :MV1: