mahan

no lack of courage!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok, after a lot of incidents of corrupted game files and frustrations XD

I want to ask the community on how you protect and backup your files..

currently I am using woratana's backup script but it just backup my DATA files when I run my project..

because in unknown reasons or maybe my project already have a lot of resources (maybe something strange running on may dev laptop) my RPG Maker VX ace became unresponsive when I run. when I run my project I always need to take 10 to 20 secs before it start.

Can you recommend a way or tool on how you can PROTECT and PRESERVE your hours of lovable work? XD

Last edited by a moderator:

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
just how many resources do you have in that anyway? my start-up times for Ace during my laptop's okay days are quite consistent...

anyway, I just normally put a back up copy on my external drive + another one on Skydrive...

Dr.Yami

。◕‿◕。
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
Other
dropbox and github xD

mahan

no lack of courage!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
here is a list XD

Data  - 25MB

Graphics - 252MB

Audio  - 180MB

I think 10~20% of my resources are useless except of course for my Data. Well I can't remove them because I am not sure if an event is using it somewhere on my maps.

I am thinking of creating a background script(maybe node js or python or c#.net) that will copy my Data files and backup when I modified it while doing dev work XD

mahan

no lack of courage!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
dropbox and github xD
Hey Yami!!! XD

I am looking for a cloud service that I can select what folder in my computer will be synchronized, google drive and skydrive doesn't suit for me :(

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'd just rely on my own that auto back ups like what ur planning to do and just use the cloud based one for like daily or weekly back ups...

btw, why won't GD and SD work? you can always put your project folder inside the SD folder so it auto backs it up to the cloud... though I won't really rely on that especially when your problem is that sometimes it gets corrupted.. doing an autosync into a cloud server might result to the corrupted file getting synched...

mahan

no lack of courage!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Engr Shana, Yeah that's right... even corrupted files will be synced... :(

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
which is why you might be better off with personal back ups...

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've gone down the personal backup route.  Every day to an external hard drive (this covers not just RM related things but many others as well) and a USB memory stick once a week for the game I'm working on.  I've got a decent backup/restore program as I don't want to rely on the Windows one, and it enables me to be very selective about what I do.

Dark_Metamorphosis

What a horrible night to have a curse.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Dropbox with several saved maps (just in case something goes wrong) I have 5 maps so far with added date so I always now which one is the most recent.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Not exactly super-technical or anything, but after I'm done working, I back up my project folder to a flash drive as well as copy it over through Homegroup to my other laptop.  Might take a few minutes each day, but it's worth not having to worry about losing progress.  

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just going to leave this here because a lot of people here don't seem to understand the scope of what is going on:
My book/game tackles racism alot so I've been watching the news and social media absorbing everything as unbiasedly as I can for research but as a proud Caribbean black man my emotions are a whirlwind right now.
I discovered the new English word "Secular religion" today It is an oxymoron word. Now, I wonder how many English words create per year? According to Global Language Monitor, around 5,400 new words are created every year; it's only the 1,000 or so deemed to be sufficiently widespread use that makes it into print. [I think it probably slangs or combines words] :kaoluv:
Is it normal that I love a game that I can't even play due to how bad I'm at it?
Anyone have advice for recruiting friends to bugtest with you? I had some buddies volunteer without me asking, and we agreed on dates and times... and they all just flaked...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lehamme