How do you choose a tile size, does it even matter?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rukiri, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    For the most part for things like cliffs, rocks, etc it doesn't as you usually will repeat some tiles to get a desired height but then you have trees which for the most part have 1 size but the base of the tree could possibly be extended.

Tiles are something I just try and avoid and would just hire out someone to do a few tiles and I'd handle the rest like buildings or interior stuff. But, I decided I wanted to do absolutely everything this go around and can't come to a decision on how large some objects in my game should be.

*I did not actually create the tiles you see, only the character sprite.
    *Character sprites are usually 32x66 or 32x32 for children(mostly).

Attached Files:

2. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I think consistency is important. Extreme example which I have seen - if your trees are twice the height of your sprites, then don't do houses one tile high. Without attention to the relative size between objects/buildings/whatever, then maps can look a mess.

I think personal preference comes in here in a major way. For example, I do things like reduce the size of some objects - why should a bucket or a jar be the same size as my sprite? This helps make some other things look larger without actually having to increase their size. I never use the default size trees, but always taller ones. But there is a variety of trees. Some will be 4 tiles high, some more, because all trees are not the same height. I never use doors only one tile high (you can always see the sprite crashing its head against the wall above it) but 1.5 tiles high for ordinary houses and 2 tiles high for more imposing buildings. It's lots of little things like that which need to be thought of together rather than as an isolated instance.

kaukusaki likes this.
  4. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I usually start to make the tiles first and then make the sprites about half way in, so for me deciding which tile size to use is dependant more on what I want to make and which engine I want to use than it is on what the sprites look like. I'm like Kes, I like to make my doors 1.5 tiles high. I also like to have my sprites about 1x1.5 tiles in size.

Most tiles are going to be a multiple of 8. 8x8 is super tiny, I've only seen it done a a way to break down a larger tile into more interesting sub parts or as an experiment in smallness. 16x16 is the standard size for a lot of console RPG games and some retro inspired engines, it's really quite nice to work in. You have to resize them to make them work in most of the engines, they only work by default in 2k and 2k3, but if they're pixel tiles they resize quite well. I like to use it when making a more cartoony style, when using restrictive palettes, or when I want to build something quickly. 24x24 is an unusual size for tiles but when working in pixels it makes for a nice compromise between enough room to have fun with details but still small enough to make it easier for pixel sizes. It's really only usable at double size in MV, the other engines can't use that size. I've never personally used it due to that reason. 32x32 is the top size I'll go for pixel styles. It's really great for having lots of room to make for fun details but any more than that is too much work per tile. It's the average tile size in XP, VX and Ace, plus the average size in a lot of non-RM engines. I like to use this larger size for more serious art styles, less cartoony, more moody, although any size can be done cartoony. I've also made cartoony tiles at this size. 48x48 is the default for MV and is another strange one. I've never seen anyone do a pixel set at this size, it's just too big, and I've never seen another engine that uses it as a default. It's actually pretty great for non-pixel tiles, especially if the style is simple. There isn't a lot of room for highly detailed, you could only get things crisp by going back to pixel art, but it is a great size for subtleties, like gradients. I haven't done a lot in this size, since it's no good for pixels, but when I get around to making some non-pixel tiles this is likely the size I'll use. Beyond that the other sizes I've seen are 64x64 or 128x128, but never in RPG Maker. I don't even know if MV would be able to handle bigger and I know the earlier ones can't. Those ones are really great for non-pixel styles though, lots of room and painted tiles don't have the same problems with being bigger that pixel tiles do.

Any time you use a non-standard size in RM you're going to run in to some difficulties. For example, using 16x16 tiles in MV and trying to use matching icons requires you to make the icons even smaller than you would in Ace. Due to a quirk of division, the icons can only be 10x10 in size originally. You also have to replace all the defaults, including things like text, visual effects, and battle backgrounds. Any visual generated by the engine, like the gages showing what the HP is at and so on, have to be altered to be a size divisible by 3. It's all doable, especially if you have the skills to make a good game, but it's an extra level of customization that you may not be up for.

For the size sprite you're using you'll want to do either 32x32 or 48x48. I think either one could be made to work with the sprite you have, 32x32 would probably be slightly easier, but the other size tiles won't fit the sprite. So I guess it depends on what engine you're using. If you use 32x32 put the door frame outsize the door tiles, if it's 48x48 put the door frame inside.

kaukusaki and Harrumi like this.
  5. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Pick your character, draw a door, and make your tile size the width of the door; make sure arms aren't clipped off.

Harrumi likes this.
  6. Harrumi

Harrumi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    From your screen shot I think that the your character sprite looks good. I personally enjoy using paint shop pro to edit my tilesets, I do it like I'm parallax mapping but I have my grid on to 48*48 for the default mv settings.... The grid is amazing, and snap to grid is god sent. :)

kaukusaki likes this.