How do you codified your world rule of the reality as reminders for yourself?

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello everyone and I hope you are staying safe.

I think I forgot to codified some rules for how my world operates as reminders to myself. I am not written on the stone in my world. Lol. It is my problem, do not worry.
:kaoblush::kaohi:I do not talk about the governance of your city or your fantasy nation. I refer to your RPG world(s) work. You don't have to tell players every rules. It is your choice. The rules just act as reminders for yourself.

[Just simple rules for simple reminder]
1. Do your worlds magics exist?
1.1 When someone uses magic, is there free or there is a price to pay?
1.2 Do you world have technologies?
2. If someone dies, can he/she be revival?
3.Do you stick with your core logic of your world or you just make the rules along the way?
4. Do you make a reference sheet?
5. Are your follow your core rules of the world logic constantly or you just follow the rules when you feel like it which allows anomaly?
6. Do you create an exception clause of logic for your main characters? Why or why not?
7. Do you play favoritism with characters that you like for whatever reasons maybe?
8. Do your worlds mostly brutal or civil?
9. Do you write down general rules of world so you do not forget?

Thank you for your insightful and your patience of my intense/annoying line of questions.

Last edited:

AfroKat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Personally I feel like I unless the rules matter and are needed for the story then you don't need rules or to go in-depth with them. A simple some people are born with greater magic potency, or you have to make a pact with a spirit. Or undergo training at an academy for mental power is enough.

Ex: like 90% of games. In FFX the rules don't matter. But the rules on being a summoner does.

Ex: in Full Metal Alchemist the rules HEAVILY matter and is the focal point of the entire story and how to break the rules.

But on one story if you use your soul as magic it can amplify your spell by 100x bit it causes your body to magically burn and you fade to ash with nothing able to stop it. Why does this matter? You see it in the beginning with a mayor protectijg his village establishing the rules and boundaries. And then your useless party member.dies because she cant normally use magic and the entire game felt like a burden. But she sacrifices her life and soil to save the party burning and dying in the process.

Black Clover is also an interesting take of it. That certain people just have **** magic capabilities or really good magic. And a book just chooses them and gives them powers. So their only limit is what random bs the author says it is, and they can make you OP with good spells or crappy with no spells and there is no limit or MP bar or anything so it might as well not have rules.

Also Takes of vesperia Spoilers ahead.

The world produces mana (magic), and the people use blastia to convert Mana into Aer (basically magic+electricity). And Everytime you use Aer it drains Mana from the world. The Crystals of the world then produce Mana. Nice and easy flow. Some Blastia however use alot of mana causing the world to be imbalanced with the. Crystals needed to work super overtime. Then a special person can use Aer without Blastia but it drains like 30x more Mana then normal making the Crystals work mega.overtime and eventually break/fizzle out. So the MCs eventually realize this and make spirits who can generate Mana / convert Aer super crazy efficient. And after a few spirits all Mana issues are solved, but for reasons I forget all Blastia break. So no water/power/combat skills yatta yatta. So there's another example of setting rules so that it matter plotwise. Imagine they tell you all that about the formula and how the world works. And nothing comes of it. People still use Blastia and the Crystals just produce Mana. Life goes on.

Last edited:

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa
Primarily Uses
RMMV
True, explanation of your world's rules, law, or mechanic only worth mentioned if it has part in your story. If you mention it, at some point you'll have to show it, proof it, explain it, and make you dig your own grave. Otherwise it will become a flaw.
For example, have you ever trying to explain how your character can have unlimited inventory without being burdened? No, right? Because it's not relevant to the story. And if you do explain it, you will have to take responsibility for it.

In my world, mana and magic do exist. But never explained how it works in detail because they are supposed to be kept secret. It's kind of unwritten rule to not reveal this secret. In truth, ALL people can do magic without any limitation if only they know the trick. And that's what this unwritten rule among magician does. To prevent the seed of chaos. This is the state of the world now. Normal people will just thought those who can do magic are just born with it.

1. Yes, there's magic and no cause there's no exact cost. The other limitation will be the knowledge.
2. Yes, in varied ways. Most of the time they become something else.
3. The only logic is magic exist and they have unlimited potential, but magician can't have their tricks to be revealed even to the player / reader. So anything could happen and I could get out without making explanation.
4. ....
5. The world does have core rules, but although I don't need to worry bout explaining the matter I prefer to stick to it.
6. My red hair purple cloth main character do have his original magic trick passed through generation. So does some other characters.
7. I treat all my characters equally.
8. Brutal in civil ways.
9. Not because "in case I forgot", but cause I do want to realizing it.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kuro DCupu, thank you for responding to me.
I am sorry for being unclear. I meant for a reminder for yourself, not for showing for players. It is just reminder for myself. Do you think it is important to keeping myself consistent?

That is true if you explain something is your responsibility. I agree with you.

@AfroKat, thank you for responding back to me.
Personally I feel like I unless the rules matter and are needed for the story then you don't need rules or to go in-depth with them. A simple some people are born with greater magic potency, or you have to make a pact with a spirit. Or undergo training at an academy for mental power is enough.
Ex: like 90% of games. In FFX the rules don't matter. But the rules on being a summoner does.
Thank you for your confirmation. I agree that magic can just exist without explanation if it doesn't important to the plot. I agree to create a simple to just reminders for yourself, so when you change something instantaneously you will have to answer to players why things just changed now. I agree if world operation is to stay with little. Players will get the basic without explanation.

Thank you AfroKat for providing examples.

Ex: in Full Metal Alchemist the rules HEAVILY matter and is the focal point of the entire story and how to break the rules.
That is true if my world is full of alchemists:kaopride:. I agree with you that most of RPG games, the alchemists are used their soul to open the gate of knowledge. They use chemistry like ordinary people.

Black Clover is also an interesting take of it. That certain people just have **** magic capabilities or really good magic. And a book just chooses them and gives them powers. So their only limit is what random bs the author says it is, and they can make you OP with good spells or crappy with no spells and there is no limit or MP bar or anything so it might as well not have rules.
You see the creator creates a rule that a magic book chooses its own user. I just take about the simple rule to the legal rule or a constitution. That would be very difficult to author to apply, I agree with you.

So no water/power/combat skills yatta yatta. So there's another example of setting rules so that it matter plotwise. Imagine they tell you all that about the formula and how the world works. And nothing comes of it. People still use Blastia and the Crystals just produce Mana. Life goes on.
I agree it is not a requirement, but I forget easily. I just want to create a reference. Do you think it ok?

Last edited:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm half logical, half artistic. Although most of the time, my logical self often takes over.

Talk specifically about story and lore, I used to follow the rules I made, then try to tell the reader about such rules because it feels like a waste otherwise. However, telling the world is not fun. It is either text dump or contributes nothing to the story. I had to rewrite the story I wrote over time. And now, I choose instead of "following rules", I choose to "follow guidelines" (artistic self kicks in). The world I shape is a guideline and I try to spark "a sense of wonder". I have a general idea of how the world works, then I improvise from there, no hard rules to follow. I don't have a clear reason why things are happening, it just happens. That opens up a headcanon of "Maybe, this is how things happen"

After all, a lore dump of world-building probably not important in the current project I'm working on even though I really want to tell them.

EDIT:
Relevant thread

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TheoAllen, thank you for your insight.

I'm half logical, half artistic. Although most of the time, my logical self often takes over.
I am just joking. Are you have a split personality? Who am I talking to the logical or the artistic?

It is either text dump or contributes nothing to the story.
I think we are not that. Many of us had a conversation about that. We have a constant conversation about it like a chant on the holy scripture of RPG.

I choose instead of "following rules", I choose to "follow guidelines" (artistic self kicks in). The world I shape is a guideline and I try to spark "a sense of wonder". I have a general idea of how the world works, then I improvise from there, no hard rules to follow.
Ha ha ha, I understand where you are going. Sorry if I am being unclear. Just a memory reminding, not to show the players. So I do not contradict myself by accident. It just a general set of rules to minding the general environment of the world. You have experienced more than me. I do not want to dig my own grave. Do you think it is a good practice?

After all, a lore dump of world-building probably not important in the current project I'm working on even though I really want to tell them.
Thank you for let me know your experience.

True, explanation of your world's rules, law, or mechanic only worth mentioned if it has part in your story. If you mention it, at some point you'll have to show it, proof it, explain it, and make you dig your own grave. Otherwise it will become a flaw.
That is funny. I used the same idiom "you dig your own grave" as you.

In my world, mana and magic do exist. But never explained how it works in detail because they are supposed to be kept secret. It's kind of unwritten rule to not reveal this secret. In truth, ALL people can do magic without any limitation if only they know the trick. And that's what this unwritten rule among magician does. To prevent the seed of chaos. This is the state of the world now. Normal people will just thought those who can do magic are just born with it.
Thank you for informing me about how you approach this.

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'll just answer 1.2 and 2 for now:

1.2: Yes. My world is undergoing a technology revolution and has figured out some things now like electricity and plumbing even, though they use magic to aid it too.

2: No. You can heal someone with magic as long as they are still alive, but if you aren't fast enough to get to them and they die, they are dead.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I am just joking. Are you have a split personality? Who am I talking to the logical or the artistic?
Both

Ha ha ha, I understand where you are going. Sorry if I am being unclear. Just a memory reminding, not to show the players. So I do not contradict myself by accident. It just a general set of rules to minding the general environment of the world. You have experienced more than me. I do not want to dig my own grave. Do you think it is a good practice?
When this happened, you have two choices
  • Rewrite how things work so that it follows the story you make
  • Rewrite the story
I mean, you don't tell this to your reader so feel free to change. After all, it just "guidelines".

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TheoAllen, ok, I get what you are saying now. Thanks.

3. The only logic is magic exist and they have unlimited potential, but magician can't have their tricks to be revealed even to the player / reader. So anything could happen and I could get out without making explanation.
In your game, you don't have a great magic revealer.

5. The world does have core rules, but although I don't need to worry bout explaining the matter I prefer to stick to it.
Thank you. That is what I try to say.

6. My red hair purple cloth main character do have his original magic trick passed through generation. So does some other characters.
That sounds fun.

9. Not because "in case I forgot", but cause I do want to realizing it.
That is a funny oxymoron.

@bgillisp, thank you for answering the questions.

2: No. You can heal someone with magic as long as they are still alive, but if you aren't fast enough to get to them and they die, they are dead.
When someone dies, are they die die or they become undead? Are their friends or their family members try to take their brains and put in the ground? Then, put the water on the brain and wait for tomorrow for progress. [Plants vs. Zombies]

Last edited:

Zliryu

Ryu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kupotepo I rly like the questions you are asking. Kinda reminding me to write these things down. A lot of these questions is not what the consumer/player/reader/fan needs to know, but we as world builders should have this written down somewhere.

Yes, it plays a crucial role in Ervenfell.

High price if not careful. Everyone can use magic and every race has a different mana amount. If that amount is used up, it starts to take the life energy, killing the user and disintegrating the body to dust. Can only be restored with sleep or with extremely rare potions that require a soul to be made. Also ties to emotions, which can end up with the users death or empowerment of the spell. Not many people choose to be mage users, as the only indication that you used up your mana is a nose, ears or eyes bleed when it starts to drain your life energy.

Absolutely, a lost race which went to war against the Gods and lost. The technology they left behind is too complex for the people who are alive, and always guarded by death traps.

No. Death is permanent as the souls are either trapped on the moons/planets that power the Gods or they go to the great unknown.

3.Do you stick with your core logic of your world or you just make the rules along the way?
Core it is, but that doesn't mean that we as creators can't, well, create a way around that.

4. Are you going to say it is subjective?
All I'm saying is that we can create certain things to go around the core of things.

5. Are your follow your core rules of the world logic constantly or you just follow the rules when you feel like it which allows anomaly?
I added an anomaly from the get go, Cosmic Magic. It is present in everyone on Ervenfell, but all the who people achieved more, were more powerful, did more in their lifetime, had more of it in them. There was only one person, a Human, who had an insane amount of it and learned how to use it. He became a God.
This is in a way the magic version of willpower and ambition in people.

6. Do you create an exception clause of logic for your main characters? Why or why not?
Read above. Usually my characters are driven by something, mostly emotions (hatred, fear, pride are the top ones I use) or a sense of duty.

7. Do you play favoritism with characters that you like for whatever reasons maybe?
Not really. They have their flaws and virtues. Take my self insert character Ryu from the game in my signature. His whole character is based on me, on my most negative of days, when I don't care about anyone or anything and just want to complete the task I've taken to do that day. That's a fast way to lose friends, trust me, and is definitely a flaw. Him being an Ilirian (most powerful magicians) doesn't really add to the virtues, as that race's philosophy is to protect and care for others. The only virtues is just that task he has taken, killing and locking up Abominations, one could consider it as doing the greater good, but just like in the game (optional), he will kill anyone who stands between him and completing this task.

Even in the most civil of societies there is brutality. It also depends. For Zaemons who's culture is following the rule of the strongest, it's not brutal to incinerate someone with a higher standing to increase in rank/standing/status, it's just their way of life and seen as a normal everyday thing, while it is seen as cruel by humans, dwarves, woodelves etc.

You just reminded me that I should xD

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Since my game is a bit different from most rpg games (it's a detective game set in an alternative Victorian/early Industrial age) I think it'll be fun to answer these :

No it does not.
Well that is void by nr1.
yes heavily. New technologies are popping up left and right due to the setting but to some they are seen as miraculous.
No.
Core but with some room to wiggle
I think every story is subjective in it's core so...
Same as 3
Not for the main character but yes I do allow for some exception - or at least the illusion of it - to add some spice to the story
No
Both. The whole idea is there is brutallity even amongst the most civil xD
Yes.

Now I do not explain the rules/logic of the world to the player unless it is necesarry. Lore sprinkled around does explain some of it but this is optional for the player to discover if they want.

In my world there is no magic and no magical creatures however there are ppl in my game that believe they are there, it does exist. So there will be npc's that believe in werewolves, that belive in ghosts and believe in talking to spirits. And to them this is real. So in a way there is magic in my game by proxy it just doesnt really exist... And it is great fun to write xD

for example : there is a case that happens during a sceance. The attending ppl will belive the murderer is a ghost and will provide 'proof' of this. It is up to the player to debunk this, accept this, etc. The reality is that there are no ghosts but the precieved reality might be differfent.

Shikamon

The Dragonslayer
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
1. Do your world magic exist?
Exist as like sciences in Our world.
Every creature have their own magic energy [Mana] capacity, so to cast Magic, they have to use their own [Mana] as a price.
Depends on what you define as technology, If you mean like something sci-fi technology then nope. Just regular medieval technology. some advanced technology only belongs to the ancient civilization which is buried underground and lost.
Only the higher beings (gods, spirits) can do a full revival, for others its too risky because there's a high chance he/she becomes undead instead. But some mages can do [Soul Manipulation] magic which is considered as a lost technique.
Kinda make rules when I only really need it.
Yes ?
Not really follow it blindly.
My main characters always become special cases because of how the world rule can be bent on him/her on a higher being's will.
I treat them as tool devices for the story.
It's the world with monsters and magic, of course, it somewhat brutal but not that blatantly bloody and depressing.
some of the rules, yes.

ave36

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Yes, magic is what makes Terra Firma exist as a flat world in a sea of World Ether surrounded by floating islands.

Usually, the price is Erg, which is Terra Firman fancy lore speak for MP. Mortal magic users have limited amounts of Erg. Some types of magic, such as blood magic, have a different price to pay. Mortals can function just fine without Erg, but magical beings, faeries and spirits all die at 0 Erg.

Yes, and this is the main theme of the game: conflict between technology and magic.

There is Clinical Death, which is fancy speak for the game's KO state, and there's dead death. The dead souls depart to Sheol, the plane of rest, and cases when someone was released from Sheol as a living person (not as a "class B licensed haunting"; Liche, the lord of Sheol, is such a bureaucrat) are very, very few. Revi and Exrevi spells only cure Clinical Death, not dead death. "And that's, Your Highness, is why they couldn't revive the flower girl in your favourite novel!" (actual quote from the game).

I initially made a Lore Dump file on Terra Firma before I started to make the game. It sort of evolved in the process.

I don't get the question.

It always allows exceptions for exceptional people, such is the narrative logic. Nels Crimmon and the daughter of the Hidden King were released from Sheol in the First Age of Darkness. Oscar and Mira are going to be released from Sheol on Disc 3. They are exceptional people, so there'll be exceptions.

Yes, see above.

It's not really favoritism, because there were similar exceptions for historical personages ages before.

It's a brutal BBEG in a civil world. Terra Firma is accustomed to people playing by the rules, and Reaves Gerrard is not going to play by the rules.

See above, I had a lore dump file. But it is horribly deprecated now.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ave36, thank you for your input and your time.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Everytime I need to write dialogues I find myself writing new music pieces... what kind of trick is this?!
Me Being Dumb spending hrs trying to figure out Irenas Visual Novel busts plugin..lol. I'm probably missing something stupid and obvious xDD

let the journey begin >w>
X.X ok... I guess I'll just have to think about 48x48 a little differently. Its not "room for more work"..."its room for more detail!...yay"
Alexa, play Buck-Tick - Dress
Worst part about doing a plugin based on an existing system: figuring out the best way for developers to set up the data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraufen