Carduus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a wonderful little table of weapon types on one axis and armor types on another, with digits of 1 to 9 in each cell to show things like that chain mail resists piercing, plate mail resists slashing, but plate mail is way too conductive of heat to be much use around plasma weaponry. I'm now thinking about how I'm going to import this logic into RPG Maker, and am afraid I'll have to do insanely nested if statements to pull it off. It seems like there ought to be a logical way to do this. External call to an Excel table? Making an array in the weapon text field? Kind of interested in if you have had a similar problem, and how you solved it.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why and where would you place the if statements? in the damage formula? that solution only works for one or two if-commands as the place in the damage formula is limited.

Instead, define the different damage types as elements and give each armor the feature to have reduced (or increased) elemental damage rates against that type of damage.

Each weapon can only be of one element (so a sword can do slashing damage, but not both slashing and piercing), but that would only require you to be carefull with the weapon design structure.

And then let the engine handle the rest automatically without any if statements.

Carduus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But I have more than four (vulnerable, resistant, immune, absorb) levels of armor.....hrm. Maybe you're right and I'm overthinking it.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
absorb needs either a script or a tricky damage formula.

Other than that: elemental rates are percentages.

0% damage means immune (this is multiplicative)

anything between 1% and 99% means reduced damage = resistant

anything above 100% means increased damage = vulnerable

just choose numbers you're comfortable with

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Wrong subforum - implementation questions usually go in the appropriate Maker's "Support" subforum (such as VX Ace Help) because the answer will be different for every Maker.  You should specify what Maker you're asking about, so your thread can be moved.

In general, I'd parrot what Andar said - you can use Elements to set up armor resistances, and I think you can safely use them to include Weapons in this system as well (anything with the "Normal Attack" element should take whatever you have specified as your weapon's Attack Element in its Features box).  But this is only how it's done in the last few versions of RPG Maker - you'd have trouble setting it up perfectly in RMXP, for example.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Based on the info under your avatar...

I've moved this thread to RPGMaker MV. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Carduus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was looking for overall game theory, as there are a lot of ways to set this sort of thing up that have vastly different results. Not 'tell-me-how-to-do-resistances-in-MV'. But I guess you moved it after everyone was finished commenting, so no harm, no foul.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Have you ever been truly comfortable? This weekend I experienced it for the first time in my 33 years on this planet. Try to get comfy, friends.
Every once in a while I check to see if my planned game titles are taken or trademarked. Still okay. I plan to take my time for the sake of quality, but at the same time it feels like a race against some hidden dev out there who also plans to publish or register the same title.
Who else here likes frogs? I sure do like them squishy beings! :rwink:

froggy.png
Only the goggles are imported ... not the eyes
a lot of my maps and battlebacks are me redrawing base rpg maker mv stuff to match with my own artwork... sometimes it comes out ok lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RhemeChan