How do you disable Pharmacology or Recovery bonus from applying to certain items used (such as food)?

TheDrifter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Let's say you have a project where you have two items:
a healing Potion that restores 100 HP, and a tasty loaf of Bread that restores 50 HP.

Question 1: How do I make it so that a Chemist / Apothecary type character (who has a 200% Pharmacology rate) will heal his wounded friend by 200 HP when using the Potion on him, but only 50 HP like normal when using the Bread?

Also, let's pretend that the Chemist character is allergic to gluten for instance, but adores spicy food...

Question 2: Is there a way to make it so that the Bread cannot be used on him**, but the Spicy Curry restores twice as much HP as normal?

**if too complicated, perhaps it could deal damage instead, cause Poison, cause a debuff like -Defense, or simply restore less to no HP

Would a plugin be required for these two cases, or is there another method I'm not seeing?
Thank you very much for your help!

Darth Equus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
For question one: Assign an element to the bread, make it cause 50 points of damage, but make the targets absorb such element, maybe?

Question two: Make the chemist vulnerable to the bread's element . For the curry, not sure.

EDIT: Give the curry another element, and make everyone else take damage to that element with 50% resistance, but the chemist absorbs it. So let's say it causes 200 points of damage, the rest of the party will take 100 damage from eating it, while the chemist heals 200 HP.

Last edited:

TheDrifter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sounds like a great solution! I'll try it out. Only issue I'm worried about are items that restore MP and/or TP in addition to HP.

Normally, I use the Effects section instead of the Damage section to set how much an item recovers HP/MP/TP. The damage section can only be set to recover either HP or MP, so it's kind of limited for that.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you can also use damage coding.
it is a lot trickier and limited by the length of the damage formula, but basically you can use a damage formula like
if b.id=3 then 200 else 50
or any other javascript code.

Please check the forum topic on how to use damage formula coding to learn the exact syntax and what else you can do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I made an RPG Discord bot and it FINALLY got accepted on top.gg and is already trending!! <3
1st of March 2014 I joined and it has been a great experience for 6 whole years. The only thing I can say is a huge thank you to ALL members of this forum.
Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!!!
Now irinea just blocked me in discord
Just finished making a character selector at the beginning of the game that allows the player to pick gender and skin tone. I couldn't be more pleased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DerKruste