KrimsonKatt

The Endless
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So in my project I have a bunch of assets that I think I'm not using. However, I'm afraid I actually AM using some of the assets I would delete, which would cause my game to crash. Now I know that in later version of MV there is a feature that supposedly strips down your project to only use the files you actually used. However, there are certain plugins I'm using (mainly ones from SRD like HUD maker) that don't work well with that feature, so I pretty much have to manually delete the files that I'm not using. However, of what I know of there is no easy way to tell what assets you're actually using what what assets you're not, so can someone please link me a plugin, software, or some sort of tip I don't know about to tell what files I am and am not using? Thanks.

Rugman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is it possible to just use the feature that removes unused assets and just manually put your plugin’s assets back in the correct folder after export? Seems like that’d be the easiest way.

KrimsonKatt

The Endless
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Rugman The problem is is that I'm not 100% sure what assets is exactly being removed. If I just miss one thing, the whole game breaks.

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One option would be to deploy your game, checking 'Exclude unused files'.

Then you can review the various image and audio folders to see what's being used.

Edit: Oh, I think think this is what @Rugman was getting at.

What's being removed shouldn't matter, in that only assets not used by the game are removed. What's left after you deploy with exclude unused is everything that is being used, and nothing that isn't.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's not really the case, as KrimsonKatt stated. I've experienced the same problem, where the assets referenced by some plugins and code are not recognized by MV as "being used" - it really only knows you're using something if it's referenced in a database entry, I think.

So it's a bit tedious, but you only need to do it once - use MV's "exclude unused files," then boot/play your game until it crashes. Look at the error, see which file you need to put back, and do so. Repeat until the game runs properly, and then pare down the folders in your project folder to match.

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it really only knows you're using something if it's referenced in a database entry, I think.

Ahhhh, yes, plugin requirement files. Good call, thank you.

It's true that if you exclude unused, the SumRndmDde/hud folder full of HUD images isn't included, and needs to be added back manually.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And I believe anything else that's referenced by plugins/code but not the database...so, say, Yanfly's battle engine that has you specify casting animations, Ramza's parrying, any animations or images you call by scripting...

I might be mistaken as to some of the specifics, but I remember when I first did a deployment excluding unused, it borked a ton of things that I had to add back in manually.

SoftCloud

Aspiring Game Alchemist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As stated, the best solution would be finding SMRD's HUD folder and other things and just pasting the folders over. If you remember which graphics from the HUD used just past those over. Personally, when I've had to manually pop things into the deployed game I don't have patience to pick through everything. Usually tired after having to delete .sai files that I saved in the game folder out of convenience.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The worst feeling in the world is going for a walk on a nice summer day, seeing an ice cream truck, and realizing you don't have any money with you :(
Mike running through an area that's influenced by his thoughts, thus his drawings are infused into the land.
We're playing Omori by OMOCAT starting at 2pm est :D
Hi there! Do you actively use your Itch.io account? How do you use it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Draker95