How do you "execute" and "make" your RPG maker game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lonewulf123, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Lonewulf123

Lonewulf123 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Enlish
    This is something that I've been thinking about for a while and I'm curious on how the rest of the community handles and creates their projects.

You've created you game idea. You have your concept, your game design document, and all the details are hashed and planned out. The only thing left to do is to make the game. How and in what order do you accomplish this?

Do you knock out the database first? Doing a big portion of the database before moving on to mapping and programming? Or do you handle mapping and the graphical and programming and eventing portions first? Do you event and database as needed?

I'm just curious how other people have handled this. In many of my previous projects I've tried data basing as much as possible before moving on to implement the story events and such. I don't know if this is the most efficient way however. Databasing isn't the funnest thing in he world, and sometimes it makes me less enthusiastic about the project.

What are your thoughts?

2. CleanWater

CleanWater Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    Pt-BR
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I just do things carelessly. :biggrin:

After everything is finished I organize the database as needed. :smile:

Lonewulf123 likes this.
  3. jweav8705

jweav8705 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
  4. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    There are several threads in this particular forum which contain a lot of advice/opinion on this subject which you might want to check out in order to get a wide range of thought.
    https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...and-want-advice-on-how-to-stay-focused.80588/
    https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/deciding-on-the-scope-for-a-first-game.80884/
    https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/order-of-work-how-to-go-about-game-making.81016/
    https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/organizing-your-tasks.80478/
    https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...e-your-main-focus-in-developing-a-game.79963/
    https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/good-starting-point.79713/

and lots, lots more. I suggest you set aside some time and go through the titles of threads here and open up the ones which interest you. For example, you are wondering about whether to have a dark or light-hearted game? There's a thread which discusses that. Long and linear or short and varied? That's been discussed too.

Lonewulf123 likes this.
  5. Lonewulf123

First Language:
    Enlish
    Thanks for the replies guys. Those links look really handy! Especially the ones @Kes posted.

I've read the yanfly comics before, but I tend to disagree with how he plans certain things.

I just was looking to open discussion with the people here on what they do, and how they handle things, but if there are other topics for that then I apologize for spamming the forum.

6. KingKraken

KingKraken Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For me I always want to get the most out of my projects. Sadly because I'm more of an artist as far as visuals go, my organization can be pretty disorganized at best. That being said here's my process simplified.

1. Conceptualize the game. What kind of features I want it to have, what themes I want to portray and so on.
    2. At-least get a general idea of the narrative down. Atleast with this portion done, I can work on a playable narrative. While I work on everything else
    3. Do the art, database inputs and eventing as I go.

From an animation background, it's super important that the story is complete before moving onto anything else. Which I kind of agree for making games as well. But when your working alone, finding your own "flow" is pretty important too.

Lonewulf123 likes this.
  7. Lornsteyn

Lornsteyn Sleepy Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Currently I just map for my game, because I dont have a real story, only a idea, right now, but i know how I want my maps.
    If I got my story together, the first thing I usually do is setting up the database.
    Its really hard to get ready for a project.:kaoswt:

Lonewulf123 likes this.
  8. Lonewulf123

First Language:
    Enlish
    It really is! At least for me, once I get over that hurdle the process gets much smoother.

9. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    When I started out, I began at a fun part of the game, which was about 20 - 30 minutes into the game, and just made that section. From there, I went forward, using placeholder art and database and monsters. Then once more of the story was set, I went back and made a true intro for the game to lead up to where I had initially begun.

Once I had enough of the story to make a go of it, then I did the rest. I took weeks at times to do all the skills. Or to do the database. Or to set up the monsters.

However, one thing I didn't do early on was art and sound. I left everything RTP placeholders until I knew I had enough of the game that I was very likely to finish. This way I didn't waste money on an idea that was not going to see the light of day.

Lonewulf123 likes this.