How do you feel about LGBT characters in games?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JosephSeraph, Dec 10, 2015.

?

How comfortable do you feel about LGBT characters in games?

1. I would be thrilled! I wish there were more.

56 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. I would be positive to it, as long as it didn't take too much spot.

31 vote(s)
    25.2%
  3. I'd tolerate it / be neutral.

36 vote(s)
    29.3%
  4. It would make me feel uncomfortable.

5 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. It goes against my morals or beliefs.

10 vote(s)
    8.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrawberrySmiles

StrawberrySmiles The Talking Fruit Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This almost makes me want to work on one of my projects featuring a bisexual character. D:

Oh man, I'm terrible at omitting sex stuff. :(

In Dragon Age Inquisition I hated that my female character couldn't romance Dorian (he's cool and funny), but I got over it. Now she'll romance Sera. I would have went for girls in earlier games, but my BF's parents lived with us...

There needs to be more diversity in everything!

Brillenpinguin and byronclaude like this.
  2. astra_not

astra_not not astra Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm completely neutral towards having LGBT characters, but I hate when they're thrown in just to pander to people crying for more diversity in games. A character's sexuality should not be their defining trait. I hate shallow characters more than anything.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
    RetroBoy and byronclaude like this.
  3. Aoi Ninami

Aoi Ninami Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The poll results for this topic show that 40% would be thrilled to see more LGTB characters in games, and 90% would at least be accepting. Granted, there's a selection bias in that LGTB people are more likely to be drawn in by the topic title, but those brackets still almost certainly include many straight players who are open to inclusion of gay relationships. For myself, I'm happy for the main and supporting characters to be any kind of people you want, as long as the characters and their story are interesting. After all, my main character is a 12-year-old Japanese girl who shoots fireballs, fights demons and has to negotiate peace between her two best friends to stop one of them eating the other.

"Write what you know" is complete horsefeathers. My real life isn't interesting enough to be an RPG. That's why I enjoy spending time inventing characters and stories, and reading/playing other people's creations.

4. Helladen

Helladen Deviant Designer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Sure, RPG Maker is a niche perspective though. I know a lot of people who hate gay people, even people I live with. ;) And no I am not religious. Although, I feel that if you have really deep gay moments, even straight moments in a game that go too far it will definitely harm your characters. Love stories are always better when it stays on the surface without going in deep. This is just my opinion though some people like to watch sex and deep romantic scenes.

Alexander Amnell and byronclaude like this.
  5. byronclaude

byronclaude Master of all things... (except the things I am no Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I agree!  This not only applies to deep romance and sex...  but other deep ideas/actions.  I think it is fun and exciting to:  raise a question.

Are these two falling for each other?  What exactly is going on with charX and charY ???  Something is up with them but I can't prove it yet.

....by raising a question and leaving the answer cryptic (or necessary for the player to 'delve' if they want deeper answers) you add playful intrigue!   :)

I think that allowing a player to delve for deeper answers could be a cool optional side-feature...  but as for the main storyline, simply raising questions is a lot more fun (and mischievous) than providing all the intimate answers.  It awakens and excites the imagination  B)

6. Column

Column Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Engrish
    how dare you bring the sanctity of Xenogears into question. lol.

But see, thats the point.We need to stop acting like there are different audiences. Aren't the "gay audience" just part of the "general audience" too? I dont think anyone makes games "for" this group, or "for" that group.. i highly doubt anyone sits there and says "im going to make a game specifically for straight white people" or "im going to make a game specifically for trans latinos".. we just say "im going to make a game, i hope its good and i hope everyone (inclusively EVERYONE) likes it". 

This. I was thinking about this last night but didnt want to make another post. People like to compare the struggles of the lgbt community to those of blacks and womens rights groups of the past. But lets not forget, it took years, generations even for those groups to have the same rights and representation as "everyone else". It takes time. But getting angry and raging and demanding every artist include a representation of what you feel is an under represented group isnt going to help. There ARE good models of the lgbtcommunity in gaming in todays industry, maybe not as many as some people would like to see, but a helluva lot more then there were say five or ten years ago. And in five or ten years from now, theres no telling what the gaming industry will look like, or who will be clammoring for "acceptance and representation".

I also like what Byron said about omitting sex or relationships of any kind. i dont see why every character has to hook up with someone. We promote entirely too much sex in general, be it hetero or homo, in todays media. Call me old fashioned, but every now and then i like to see a story where the hero saves the world and focuses on saving the world, not shagging every girl or even a particular girl a long the way. Tooting my own horn, themain of my project doesnt "hook up" with anyone during the course of the game. And thats fine too, because he has plenty of other stuff to worry a bout.

7. Helladen

Helladen Deviant Designer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is true for a lot of serious game makers. If you put in a gay lead character, you will attract a lot of gay gamers. This is marketing basics.

8. Column

Column Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Engrish
    True enough, but since gay gamers make up such a small percent of the gaming market, big name game companies aren't really trying too hard to appeal to them. Why make a game that will make a tiny percent of your market happy when those same resources could be spent making a game that will appeal to a much much larger audiance? It's a harsh truth but a truth.

9. Clangeddin

Clangeddin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    As if straight males were not appealed by gay females. :guffaw:

Mihel and LootHunter like this.
  10. Chrispy

Chrispy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I don't mind relationships being in pretty much any game. Sure, the main character is pretty concerned with saving all of existence or whatever, but, that makes for a pretty dull main character if that's his only reason for existing.

11. LootHunter

LootHunter Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    And vice versa (at least in Japan Yaoi novels are aimed at female audience).

But you are completely wrong. There is no such thing as "general audience". And not only in regard of sexual prefs, but in any other prefs. Like some people like fantasy, others sci-fi, and there are those, who want a game be about "real world". Of cause, you can try to appeal to the largest audience possible, but still you can't feed grindy jRPG to those who want strategy or puzzle game.

The same goes for characters. We all know that female characters with big tits are put into a game to attract straight teenage males. And the hard truth is that gay male characters just won't work the same way. Of cause that doesn't mean that you shouldn't put them there - there are a lot of niche games out there (like strategy games from Paradox, which are too complex for most audience).

12. JosephSeraph

JosephSeraph White Mage Restaff

First Language:
    Portuguese
    [​IMG]

I'd love to be able to see this in a game, while having it be 2 guys or 2 girls w/e without anybody complaining or saying its pandering

(well everybody complains about FF8 anyways even though it is the second best final fantasy but hey it seems people aren't very into romance. I am. A lot. And I cried lots with FF8.)

13. Column

Column Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Engrish
    FF8 had a decent story, it just had the worst combat system of any FF game eeeever... until 13 came out. Squall/Rinoas relationship was tolerable (to me, at least) because it actually felt like an integral part of the story. In FF7,i liked the cloud/aerith bits, but hated how afterwards tofa just sort of stepped in and "was his gf again".. it felt like it was just there to be there, just so the main character would have a "gf". THATS what i hate seeing in games. I didnt FEEL towards cloud x tifa what i felt towards other characters. Take the series i draw from, the Shadow Hearts games. In 1 and 2 you can really FEEL how yuri cares about Alice. You smile when he smiles, you cry when he cries. but in SH3, when Johny becomes the MC, the Johny/Shania relationship doesnt feel nearly as fleshed out or important. I wouldnt mind guyxguy, or girlxgirl, or guyxambiguous android, or girlxtransguygirl AS LONG as their relationship FELT like a relationship and not just two character that were hooked up because "hey look we have a gay couple". Does that make sense? (i should also mention that FF12 had one of my favorite cast of characters and one reason was because they never tried to "hook" anyone up. Vaan and Penelo had the whole "brother sister" thing going on,Ashe was just Ashe and Bashe was too busy trying to serve king and country to chase tail. Balthe and Fran.. meh, we know he was hitting that, but the game never made them out to be a "thing".)

Alexander Amnell and LootHunter like this.
  14. Chrispy

Chrispy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    realistically, If you want to wait for a day when nobody complains, you're going to be waiting until you're the last person on earth, that way, no one has a different opinion from yours, so everything you think is automatically the best opinion because no other opinions exist. That, or Aliens turn us into a slave race by implanting parasites in our brains so we all think and believe the exact same way.

15. Natural

Natural 恭司 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    There is now 8 pages on this subject. Apparently LGBT games must be getting popular Lol. 

16. Mama_B

Mama_B Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I hated Rinoa.  I didn't like Tifa either.  When it came to the relationships that Final Fantasy shipped out, I was much more pleased with Tidus and Yuna.  I liked how their relationship progressed into development.  With Squall and Rinoa, it was like she was forcing him into becoming her boyfriend and he never struck me as being passive enough to accept it, but lo and behold he did.  I loved the game (second in favorites behind VII), combat system aside, but I did not like that.

But, I'm a total Laguna fan so there may be some bias.

Mihel and Cryranos like this.
  17. Frozen_Phoenix

Frozen_Phoenix Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That would be pretty gay

18. Super Shy Gamer Girl

Super Shy Gamer Girl Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    You know, to me personally, the best part of a game is the characters themselves and what they bring to the story. I honestly don't see a point or need to even specify a characters sexual preferences, orientation, self gender classification unless it's important to the character and Plot of the story. Such as a LBGT rights activist may be more outspoken and obvious about such things, they're murdered for it and the player has to figure out who and why.

Honestly it should all depend on the dynamic and world you've set up if it should be any type of focal point at all. I see it as simply a part of a characters personality and through that even if in a small way, part of the story. That's how this should be looked at more so then anything else. What is the story that's being told and who are the characters and what parts do they play.

I could care less what people might say on terms of 'pandering' to a crowd. If I have a character who happens to be gay, or bi, or straight, or into BDSM, or likes to suspend from their ankles upside down in latex (Though I think that'd give you a headache after a while *ponders*), I don't care what that characters interests are, if they have them, and it happens to be portrayed by them in the story or referenced, then that's what's going to happen. I'm not going to worry about anyone accusing me to pandering to any crowd for any reason because your going to get people who do that no matter what you do.

I'm new to the game developing aspect of things, but I'm not new to the writing and character development at all. The best stories I have written with people have always boiled down to the characters themselves and the substance that they have, as well as how true to that character a person is willing to be. Sometimes orientation comes up and it plays a deep role in the story, other times for all anyone may know everyone is Asexual because that never comes up. Focus on your over all plot whatever it may be, but focus most on what is real for your characters. View them as real people with real thoughts, feelings, hopes and dreams. Sexual orientation is part of who we are, it influences what we do, how we react, and how we think even on specific topics. But we do not go up to someone when we meet them and go 'Hey, My name is Rae and I'm straight. How're you?' or 'Hi, Nice to meet you I'm Jennifer and I like women.' We don't bring it up. We don't make it a focus and that's important when you think about your characters that your creating. Well generally speaking, I mean you could have that be a personality aspect in a character obviously but you want that to be part of who they are rather then just something you have them do to point out some aspect you want people to know but is completely out of character for them to do. 

You HAVE to look at other aspects of the personality to know if they'll be outspoken with it or not, but remember that most people straight or otherwise, don't go out of their way to advertise such things in real life. So unless your world is specifically set up to where the general population is like that, or the society standards differ from our own, your not going to have those obvious portrayals unless they're in a relationship with another character already, or show interest in the player depending on the gender they choose if that's an option in the game. Otherwise there is no connection made to the characters for anyone, and then you are simply pandering to a specific audience or trying to 'people please' people and the whole thing will feel empty and fake of real emotion. (Least to me it would)

I suppose the biggest thing I'm trying to portray with this is that it shouldn't be a focus UNLESS that's part of the characters personality, because then your making a big deal out of something that shouldn't be made such a big deal out of. I have characters of various orientations, likes, and dislikes. Even if it may not come out obvious outright to others or be obvious what their sexual preferences are, whatever it is, will always be a part of them as a character. Diversity creates a rich playing field and a lot of dynamic, but focusing to much on a specific label can ruin the point of a story as well. Let the characters simply be who they are, and focus on the plot of the story whatever it may be. Have various orientations and genders and all of that, but don't go out of your way to make a point to make it obvious to the audience in ways that hold no value to the characters themselves (AKA 'Hi! I'm such and such and I'm transexual').

So even if you DO have a gay character in a story, for example, remember it may not actually even come to light that they are in fact gay. People are always assuming that any character (Or person for that matter) that isn't obviously specified otherwise is automatically straight, and that's just not the case.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2016
  19. Fernyfer775

Fernyfer775 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    In my Demon Hunter game, there is a gay couple who show up from time to time to help out the main character. Their sexuality did not define who they were as characters in the game, but instead just added a bit of flavor to their personalities. With that said, clearly I don't mind or feel negatively about LGBT characters in games, in fact, I appreciate the diversity.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2016
  20. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    The trick is not to write gay characters or a gay relationship, rather, to write characters and relationships that happen to be gay. There's no special writing or circumstances that need to be done to bring about a gay relationship. It doesn't need to be pushed forward any more or less than a heterosexual one. Basically, if at the end of the day you could swap one of the characters to be a hetero couple without the script changing in any way, you're doing it right.

AwesomeCool likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.