RMVXA How do you feel about playing comedic projects?

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have about 3 or so projects I have been working on. Collector is the main one, but I have also been working on two fantasy ones.

One of the fantasy projects is made for laughs. It's not serious at all, and is not going to be long in game time. It's very dialogue heavy, and will probably just have a basic combat system, since that isn't the focus.

I'm just curious if I should even release it. A couple of my friends find it really funny, but I'm not sure if others will enjoy a stripped down game that's mostly narrative in nature.

The plot follows Feanlin, an Elf from the Forest of Elves. His bladder fails him after a drinking session, much to his embarrassment and great misfortune. Because of this, he gets cursed by a tree spirit to suffer through weird events, and his goal is to remove the curse, if possible.

Right now it only has 15 minutes of gameplay.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To answer this, I'll just point out that my game releases thus far are Steve, which is an RPG about a zombie who appears human from one angle of his charset due to artist laziness and so is chosen to fight for the undead revolution; Catchphrase: the Text Adventure; and Sidhe Quest. :p

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
comedic games can be great, can be poor, can be cringe in both good and bad ways, can be offensive, critical, intelligent or shallow, beautiful or ugly, original or derivative, low or high effort, pretentious or humble, and so many things. So i don't have any one opinion.

I just, personally, have a bad cringe reaction to "dark" humor, offensive games.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Humour is highly subjective. I have no problem with comedy in games (or any form of media to be fair), or with a game that focuses solely on comedy. I find a lot of things funny, everything from silly words to gallows humours. I haven't come across a joke or comedic scenario I personally find offensive or taboo, but I have come across a few poorly told jokes.

With a purely comedic game, I believe it's important to make it clear early on that things will be silly and shouldn't be taken seriously. I don't mean with a disclaimer or some such nonsense, but with early dialogue and actions. Oh, and try not to shift the tone too often or too drastically.

I think your lil' game description sounds quite funny and light-hearted. :)

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Comedic games are similar to story-driven games.
They don't rely on complex battle systems or character progression (leveling up, skilling etc.).

Instead they have to shine with dialogue, story, a believable and lively world and good characters.
And in some cases intricate puzzles or other forms of non-combat gameplay mechanics.

In that sense, comedic and story-driven games are a lot more difficult to maintain in that you have to ensure constant fun for the player without continous gameplay.

That is because you have to be consistent and persistent throughout the entire game to keep things interesting, which is easier to achieve if you have more gameplay elements and natural character progression like in classic RPG's.

TL;DR
Comedic games can either be extremely funny or extremely boring.

It is pretty difficult to go the middle road if your game relies entirely on being funny since you won't play a game that offers nothing except being moderately funny.

Last edited:

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@The Stranger To give you a hint, the humor is off the wall and absurdist. I might post some examples after work.

@ScorchedGround I definitely get where you are coming from. I admit I haven't put much effort in the game systems yet, since I've just been focused on writing the story.

woootbm

Super Sand Legend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If the work is already done, you might as well release it. Depending on how that goes, that'll be a good indicator for future projects.

I'm gonna be a hypocrite here and say that I generally advise against comedy games (not that Oni Sellsword is a comedy, but it has attempts at humor here and there). Particularly in RPG Maker games, which generally rely on in-jokes, memes, and puns. This kind of low brow humor has its audience, of course. It just does nothing to lower that "trash RPG Maker game" stigma.

If you've determined you actually have a talent for it, then by all means. I can count the number of "comedy games" I actually found funny on zero hands. If you've seen me around, you probably know me to be a humorless automaton. And that's true. But like anyone else I get a chuckle from humor in games when it isn't in your face and trying super hard. We all laughed the first time Commander Shepard deemed two different stores to be his favorite on the Citadel just to get a tiny discount.

lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Do not fear the release mortal, for if it is rejected your altar will only grow through its newly formed calluses. You shall use this pain of loneliness to transform into a being with a greater anatomy for artistry. Your wings will suffocate all who have hurt you and the dark one will praise your name in its skirt and unholy pom poms as you feast upon the cellulose of the recently fallen live streamed in front of trillions that shall sing along to every song and cadence worthy of performing which is all of them.

Good day mammal, may this post stab your fear in regards to the opinions of your fellow creatures.

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I only like comedic games when the characters are likable!

Making the characters act like capricious, sociopathic a**holes is rarely funny, and even if you're good enough to make it funny (South Park proves it can be pulled off, whereas most of FOX's animation proves how rare that feat is), it tends to be hurt by its own format in a video game where the player is supposed to bond with the character(s) they are helping to succeed but can't get invested in their success because the character(s) is entirely unworthy of sympathy.

The first Disgaea game, in my opinion, is the best example of a comedy game done right.

Conflictx3

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can say in my time I have played rpg maker games that were funny and set out to be so, but more times than not, ppl who aren't naturally funny try to make comedic rpgs and come out super cringey so I usually avoid it.

To be honest my entire life I've been the funny guy, in school, at family gatherings, at work, I'm always the funny to the point I've had ppl come up to me when their sad and tell me to make them laugh, with that said I'm MORTIFIED by the idea of making jokes in my own game,why? Cuz I get the mechanics of being funny and theres alot at play.

First off my favorite go to styles of joking are dark humor and stupidity/miscommunication (character not understanding something or making the wrong assumption based on what they personally know). Dark humor is fairly easy, you make light of a morbid or taboo situation but you have to know how to not offend sensitive parties. However the later, stupidity/miscommunication, jokes ironically require alot of wit, clever wording and impeccable timing to really hit so I'll talk a bit more about that since alot of games attempt these. See for a stupidity joke to work you have to pander to the audience's intelligence by going by what they know. In a real world setting that's not too hard, if your audience are a bunch of american high schoolers your not going to make references about the stock market you'll base your material around music (maybe the old teacher cant do the young dance moves or mispronounces the famous artists name), relationships (the extremes boys go through o get a girls attention), sex (their first time so their doing things their friends told them totally works in bed), etc.

But when your in a fantasy world now its hard because you have to make your characters Believable. they live in that world so their jokes would relate to that world, thus the dev has to give you enough lore about that world and culture that the joke lands on the audience. We all know jokes have a setup and a punchline and in fantasy the setup is CRUCIAL.

I personally hate being whisked off to a distant land in rpg maker for the characters to make generic jokes like a character being fat or being physically beaten up by the muscle-y cute girl because she's not interested, this is weak to me,

in real life being overweight unfortunately has a negative connotation, but why in your fantasy world? I'd be more amused if overweight men or even better overweight women were HIGHLY desirable in your game and went against the norm, a clever comedic writer could make it funny and empowering to the plus size community if done right. The stupidity/miscommunication jokes could come from a character being uninterested in a real world attractive girl, much like drax in guardians of the galaxy 2 when he though the girl had a crush on him. Actually drax in general is a great character for what I mean as a perfect character of stupidity/miscommunication in a fantasy as he info dumps about why he is the way he is moments before doing or saying something outlandish.

To go deeper with marvel, For another good example i love Thor from the avengers movies. He plays to his lore and has a lot of stupidity jokes based on his lack of understanding earth and cultural difference. In Thor's first movie he meets agent Phil Coulson from agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and when they befriend eachother Thor refers to him as "Son of Coul" <---- that's funny to me because in Norwegian/Viking culture (the culture thats home to Thor, Loki mythology) a person named ____son is usually the son of the former name. For example in the show vikings the main character is ragnar, and his son is Bjorn RAGNARsson aka the son of Ragnar. Thor mistook the name Coulson, a common american name for son of coul. That's a great stupidity/miscommunication joke.

Long story short I wouldnt say DONT try it. We all start somewhere and maybe you'll knock it out the park but for me I'd personally be weary of ANY rpg maker project based in comedy unless I heard great reviews.

Last edited:

kyonides

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
In my very personal case I hate when the entire game is a comedy. It makes me feel it's lame from the very beginning. I see games are a mix of several things not just comedy. It may contain sadness or doubts, anxiety, angst, fears, missions, even interesting findings if we're talking about a mystery game.
Who would love to keep playing a game where Aluxes or Alex is always an idiot? We already know that so what's next? :p
I also think Ralph and Harold are morons as well. :D

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I will say that purely comedic games themselves are okay with me, as long as the game
is not all too long. Because comedy alone can only carry you so far.

So in my opinion, comedy games should either be relatively short
or coupled with other themes and genres.

And don't forget that comedy games also need some kind of gameplay.
Telling one joke after another is probably not enough to hook the player for long.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I am starting to enjoy writing. I never thought I would enjoy it since my dyslexia was holding me back so much.
Thanks to the community here :)
For those interested chapter 2 and 3 are available to read here:
I'm having a fun time working with the MZ RTP. The waterfall hasn't changed, though, so I'm wondering if they didn't make a new one or if they forgot to put it in...

good progress on the typescript Definitions files almost done all the Manager and yet I still have to do the Battle Manager...who is seriously so much data lol
Are the export options for MZ known yet?
I thought they were supposed to be my friends T_T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RegularManGuy