RMMV How do you feel about your game looking back?

Discussion in 'Indie Game Maker (IGMC 2017)' started by Nicola, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Nicola

Nicola Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi everyone!

As there's been lots of discussion on other people's games, I thought it'd be nice to have a thread where people talk about their own games, looking back at what you've accomplished and how you feel about it now since having feedback.

A few questions I've come up with:

What would you change about your game?

What are you most proud of?

Do you think you'll be in the top 3?

What have you learnt when making your game?

And finally

What is your favourite game you've played so far and why?

For me, I've learnt an absolute ton as I only bought MV a couple of weeks before the contest started and I'd never really made a game properly before. I had used VX for silly things but never anything serious. I've learnt that I can actually make a game people enjoy which means the world to me, and that I can get an idea and make it happen fairly quickly.

What I'd change about my game is all the silly passability errors people have kindly noted, I literally can't believe I didn't notice some of them! I'd definitely change the font and spend more time on the art. I think if I did the contest again I would've made a shorter game with more detail, rather than a longer one with less. I don't think I'll get anywhere near the top 3 as I feel I was too inexperienced.

My favourite game so far is difficult, it's a toss up between Quidget the wonderwiener and Starfall. Quidget has stunning artwork and is so smooth and shiny! The humour won't be for everyone but I do think it works for the type of game it is. Starfall is just one of those games where you think 'how the heck did he do this in Rpg maker??' well, that's what it made me think. It's an amazing accomplishment in itself and is also very fun.

I hope you all enjoy reflecting on your own work :)

Zelgadis85, Frogboy, Dalph and 3 others like this.
  2. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph (RM Mafia Boss)™ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would make the gameplay more complex and add more cool graphic effects here and there but you know how it is with deadlines and real life. You gotta compromise somewhere if you want to get things done in time.

The fact that it's finished and mostly bug-free (as far as I know).

Nah, there are much better entries out there but I'm still proud of my work and that I was able to finish and deliver in time. Finishing a game is already a huge accomplishment.

That you have to learn how to compromise somewhere if you want to get things done in time, especially during contests. I also learned that being overambituos is never a good thing.

I don't think I played enough to be able to judge yet but I'll do it soon.

3. Lihinel

Lihinel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    My feelings so far:

Everything and nothing, its a shiny pile of trash. So bad, it's good.

The plot twist at the end.

Top 3 least downloaded games? Yep, I am a runner up for that.

I learned that my overlay map script doesn't work with encrypted games, so I'll have to rewrite the script for my main project.

Zelgadis85 and Nicola like this.
  4. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Currently our submission is survival horror SCP like game (you can view it from the link in my siggy). But I already have a dream that maybe someday I'd add a little flavor of battle system. Like a top down shooting, because it seems to suit well with the genre

[​IMG]

Lol no, but at least we made something for this event

Not really learn anything. But at least I got my sense of scripting back since it was quite rusty. Being the main scripter of the project refreshed my skill good enough

Haven't played much the submission since most of their size are beyond my limit / tolerance. If only people would mind of trying to compress the game as small as they can, like throwing unused assets (or just use Midi if using VXAce and below), i'd probably playing them

Zelgadis85, Dezue and Nicola like this.
  5. Dezue

Dezue Peninja Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's a pretty cool idea! I'm looking forward to seeing how you experienced your games and the jam [​IMG]

We would (and will) definitely add a bit more variety to the gameplay - right now, Quidget is pretty streamlined with the Electric Igor, we have some ideas however how to make things more interesting.
    Also, we will add secrets and the Sextended Edition content, but that wouldn't have been appropriate for the contest anyway [​IMG]

I'm most proud of @Oni Giri and how hard she worked during the short contest timeframe. We started a bit late, had a small alpha techdemo release* during development and then she got sick during the last few days.
    But she still powered through like a boss [​IMG]

Mainly managing production time and keeping a game scope that is doable and enjoyable at the same time.
    Also, we tried out several tools for writing, animating and so on. That was fun :)

I'm pretty new to RPG Maker games and the community in general, so, for me, playing every game has been very enjoyable so far!
    I do have some that I liked a lot, but those in question already know because I sent (or will send) them a little comment on their itch pages ;)

Thanks for asking, @Nicola!

* Of our main project in development: Peninja - The Funky Sexy Love Ninja RPG

Zelgadis85, Allan Bays and Nicola like this.
  6. Rinober

Rinober Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That's a nice idea for a thread! No learning without reflection :rhappy:

I would definitely like to add more content (random events, more gameplay mechanics) and might do so in the future.

Having submitted a playable game. I've never made a game in such a short time period.

Now that I've seen some of the other entries - I think no. But there's always some space for dreams :kaoblush:

I'm able to cut down on my game and still make something out of it that makes sense, after noticing I'm late already. In general, I've learnt to handle a time limit. I was surprised I couldn't do everything I wanted to, but at the same time was surprised by how I dealt with the situation without panicking. That's a good feeling! I think everyone who submitted an enjoyable game can be proud of themselves!

I have only played about 8 so far. My favorite would be Moop. It has a retro feeling to it that I love (usually I'm not that type of gamer). I feel like a child with a GameBoy in his hands again when playing it.
    But there are still many games to go, so this judgment might be too early and not fair for all the others which I haven't played yet.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    Dezue, Zelgadis85, Allan Bays and 2 others like this.
  7. Plueschkatze

Plueschkatze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    More gameplay elements. I'd love to get the original questioning idea we had in there.

Our teamwork! And all the small things that maybe noone noticed. Also the amazing behaviors hiddenone did and the amount of custom art we got done! Wouldn't have thought that I could do that much (tileset) assets within 2 weeks. (Some of them didn't even make it into the game, ha ha!)

Most likely not! The lack of additional gameplay elements might be just a neckbreaker for us :)
    There are also toooo many amazing entries! <3 I just hope that one of my personal favs will make it to the top, tho I still have to play through a lot of them.

I improved a lot in general workflow and also it's been a joy to spend so much time in-engine again, I learned a few new tricks from the collaboration and seeing how others handle eventing. Would love to do that again.
    Also that I should care about time-management even more than I already do.
    And... that I should not overwork myself to much, avoid stress if possible and take care of my health.
    Which I'd advice to everyone.

I actually only tested 2 games and played one from start until end. So I can't answer by now. I just don't have enough freetime to play all the games I downloaded D:

8. Nicola

Nicola Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    These are all brilliant replies. Thank you all for taking the time to answer. It's really nice seeing how everyone else feels about the whole experience :) definitely many similar feelings to my own!

9. Jesse - PVGames

Jesse - PVGames Game and Graphics Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English

I am giving serious thought on expanding the game into an actual game, in which case I would definitely take all the feedback I have gotten into consideration, especially in terms of QOL improvements. I would also really sit down and write out a good story for the game and focus more on a core set of characters. I was mostly winging it since I started the contest late and never used the software before, so I had some obstacles to overcome.

I was pretty proud overall of the combat system and how it worked. It needed some polish and refinement and balance, but it is very close to what I envisioned. I never really dug that deeply into the damage formula box before, so I am pretty proud with some of the effects I was able to come up with.

Probably not, but I don't enter these contests to win, I do it because it is fun, challenging, and it can benefit the community.

Considering I literally never made a single thing with MV before, I learned a ton. I purchased MV back when it was released and poked around a little so I would know the size of templates and such, but didn't even make a small project with it. Thankfully there are a lot of great people in this community that were able to help and a lot of great documentation all over these forums and others with useful information that got me up to speed very quickly.

Hard to say, I have enjoyed them all in different ways so far. But, if I haaaaad to pick something, I would probably go with Quidget due to how polished and refined it is and how consistent the humor happens to be. I'd also lean towards Lucie, I always enjoy a good horror one-off. But I also have not played the vast majority of games available, so my experience thus far is limited.

Zelgadis85, Allan Bays, Dalph and 2 others like this.
  10. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Blaaaah!!! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Less of a linear game play, fixed a few typos. I would have also loved to improve the battle system a little more.

Making a playable game with no real bugs and that a few people really enjoyed it.
    I doubt it. There's some really great games, but anything is possible.
    Not to over shoot my goals. I think in retrospect that my ambitions exceeded the time frame, I cut so much out of the game and condensed so much that I could have polished what I had even more.

I'm still playing through them, so its too early to tell.

Zelgadis85 likes this.
  11. beenbaba

beenbaba Slowly getting there Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'd create proper animations for all of the enemies, increase the story content with a couple more cut scenes and finish animating things I didn't have time for, like waterfalls and swaying grass etc.

Well, it was my first time actually doing pixel art of that level and for an entire game (I'd only done edit/icons/small pieces before), so I'm pretty happy with how everything turned out, especially within the month time frame.

I don't think so, there are some amazing entries and platformers aren't for everyone.

Loads of things to do with pixel art, platforming games in general and how to work on a game with someone else

The Golden Pearl, executed extremely well, I love it

Also, we're glad you like Starfall :D

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  12. chalkdust

chalkdust Resource Staff Restaff

First Language:
    English

Mostly, I would speed up the pace of the early game a bit. I also want to redesign one of the mazes that has gotten poor feedback. I'm going to add a quest journal as well. A few other little issues have already been patched for the next update.

The originality of the main characters.

Maybe. Out of 250+ entries I've seen maybe a dozen or so that are realistic contenders for the top 3. I can only hope that I'm one of those.

Development would be much better with a team. I spent the first day or two setting up my scripts, almost three weeks mapping and tinkering with tilesets, and my last week or so frantically eventing the story. Mapping in particular isn't a strength of mine so that's something I would prefer a skilled teammate to cover.

Can't narrow it down to one but Moop, Abyssal Shrine: Nevermelt, Dear Edwin, Azure Isle, and Monstruct are solid contenders.

13. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Mainly adjusting some numbers, some battles nerfs and buffs here and there...

I was able to finish and upload the game I planned out without any game crashing bug (I think) in time!

Nah. I think the top will be filled with games for the casual crowd. I'm not into making those :< Even if people don't flavor them.

I learned how to use RM battle system as this was my first game featuring that. And also became faster in the eventing area :<

The Azure Isle. Haven't personally played it myself, but seen a LP. For me it's very likely it will place on top. The system and graphic aspect is very well polished, and has a nice story.

14. rondchild

rondchild Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesia
    Enhance the battle system
    Add new content (new dungeon and 2 mini games)
    Add some cutscene
    Add some CG
    Add new sprite
    Add anime cutscene

Create a whole graphics in 30 days!
    I can't believe it!

And The music in our game is make me crazy... I love it so much! <3
    The cutscene feels good =w=a

I just believe it...but there's some glitch on end of game =A=a

Make a game with efficient and effective. I think we can make a good game in 3 month..NOW!

Don't play too much.. I can't decide it.

15. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

If I could, I'd make tons of custom art and music but I knew I'd never have time for that. There's a few minor things that I'd like to tidy up but Eremiel actually turned out better than I imagined it would when I first started on the project.

It's kind of hard to explain. It's not really one aspect of my game but more how it turned out as a cohesive whole. How all of these individual pieces that for almost three weeks were just unconnected and then those pieces came together. I'm not so much proud, more fascinated by the magic that happens when everything clicks into place.

The odds are very low but not as low as most. I don't have custom graphics or sound and my project was a one man show but if the rules are followed, the judges are required to spend a full hour playing my game. This means that they will get to play and experience the entire thing: not just the game play or the story or setting, but the cohesive whole I talked about a moment ago. I was careful to scope and craft my game so that they would get a full, complete and hopefully satisfying experience. I believe this gives me a shot even if it's not a great one.

I learned how to make a pretty decent action game primarily with just 3 plug-ins. I used more than that overall but those 3 were all that were really needed to pull it off. I made a very rudimentary one in a previous project as a mini-game sort of thing but I didn't know for certain if I'd be able to pull off a full game around this idea or if the end result would be fun.

Way too soon to say. I'll never get to play them all and I still have many of the most popular entries to try out still.

16. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    1. More custom art and the game UI.
    2. Battle balancing. Oh the time! The time! So should've spent more time on this! Like I said elsewhere, totally my fault. But it is what it is.

That we as a team did the best job we could given the time constraints. I mean, everyone just worked so hard and made amazing stuff. I mean Hammerpants wrote pages and pages like almost a novella (a lot which we cut due to time constraints. :kaocry: ). Miss Nile: heartstopping maps. Adds so much to the mood. I just love em! Richter's custom sprites you guys should play the game just for them. (but you gotta figure out the right fusion combos first. :kaohi:) Cuckoo made the awesome Summoning System! Never seen before in RPG Maker before! Completely custom! I mean we didn't have time to pretty it up with good UI, but it still works great.

Yes. :kaojoy: Hahaha! Come on @Nicola this is an unfair question. Some of us entered with the intention of doing our best. And we can say whatever we want here anyway as I understand the judges are not allowed to look at forums during judging period. I must say, that no matter what happens or whatever people think of our game, I personally think our team made an awesome game. You should try it.

Alright, honestly there are plenty of excellent entries and competition is fierce! So may the best man, woman, or team win. First, a shame about Soultel. That game so would've won if the bugs got cleared out in time. As it is, it's got awesome potential but just too many errors. I look forward to seeing it complete. Actually, Nicola, I think you have an excellent shot in the top 3. Your game is so cute!!! Plus it's got lovely music. And I totally disagree with @Plueschkatze , Dear Edwin is SOOOO going into the top 3. It'll be weird if it isn't.

First, we learned a lot about working together as a team. That although we may have different opinions, everyone is trying to make the best game possible. I just happen to be the dictator calling the shots this time, so if the game doesn't do well, all blame is mine.

Second, actually I learned quite a lot from the other entries enter here. Lots of best practices that we can integrate into our future development. Radical action sequences from Cumulus, strafing in Sample09, 'How to Integrate Big Jugs Tastefully Into a Game' from Quidget, the neat interact indicators in Abyssal Shine, Riviera style from Azure Isle, and some of the stuff they did in Darkness of Hope: I didn't even know you can do that in RPG Maker! I could go on and on. And there's still a lot of games I haven't played yet. It's been really helpful!

You mean besides our own? :kaoblush:Like the question above, this too is an unfair question. :kaojoy:

Seriously, I personally really liked Life's Forfeit. It's a nice game of black comedy. Recommended.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  17. Nicola

Nicola Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for all of the recent answers since my last post! It's all so interesting.

@watermark Thank you especially for your comments to me and I agree not all my questions are fair haha. It's completely up to everyone what they'd like to answer, I think more to see how well people think they've done. As there was no judging criteria I feel like really it's impossible to tell.

I also feel like I've learnt so much from other people's games and I think like 'Omg, why the heck didn't I think to do that??' it's definitely motivating me already to start a new project in the near future.

18. Kuro DCupu

Kuro DCupu Responsible for Kitten Mita development Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Overhaul the Battle Mechanic.

The writing... the struggle to explain something big and complex in simple and interesting way is pretty challenging.

Yes, because lotsa people still judge book by its cover.

Red Bull is bad for your health.

What is your favorite game you've played so far and why?
    Hmm, I can't mention it here. This might sounds insulting to people that work hard for their game, but I like those casual looks-like "lazy" game. How they are able to explain the big line in a few stroke.

19. Ennacrima

Ennacrima Artist Member

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Since I'm the artist, I would change the art. To be honest, it's a good art, but during the contest I suffered the restrains of using a tileset. My idea was to recreate a chinese antique paint. I found out it was impossible to coordinate that with a tileset restriction.
    If I could go back in time, I would spend the first two weeks studing Jotun and his graphic tricks, instead of smash my head on a screen out of frustration. XD
    There are many things that can be improved, but the art is the quicker one, so it's a shame for me. ><

The battle system (and the character moves). The whole idea of create a battle system as a rhythm game was... worring. A lot of technical issue was on the road, but I'm proud of how many of them have been defeated! To my eyes, that's a sorcery from our coders!
    (And I'm in love with the main character design! It's just cool to see him do Stuff with the right timing. XD)

UHM. A lot less project, this year, but the amount of good project is always there. I'm satisfied with my project, I think it have a solid gameplay, but the previous years we achieved a prize thanks to the special categories. This year there are no prize categories, so I think is a lot harder for everyone.

I seriously need to STUDY MORE. I must get rid of some technical obstacles that force me to lower my graphic quality. Basically, ignorance about how to achieve certain things in a videogame. That's my role and I must overcome to my limits, otherwise I'm chopping my team future.
    This is the rant of an artist, so expect a lot of exagerated self-criticism. If you check my game and you like it... you can hate this speech. I need it, though, to improve myself. >.<

Shame on me. As soon the contest deadline ended, I had to get back to work. I do videogame graphics as a job, so I had no time. To be honest, my body battery was also empty, so I decided to forget the contest for at least a week. XD
    Only feedback and blog posts was on the task list.
    I'm peeling my team mates comments to know what's out there, for the day when I'll get some free time again. :p

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  20. richter_h

richter_h Eh? Sweetroll? Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    • Sprite aesthetics, because RMMV RTP sprite style deserves more justice and a little bit more generous color shading. Like, come on, four color levels gave me a little itch (I'm working with five levels anyway)
    • Some scenarios, some narratives, some samples to write on, you name it. I'm fan of writing some sort of sci-fi stuff; spicing things up won't hurt so much...
    • A taste of working on sprites in default RMMV formats. Was a hell of a ride, but glad I managed to get used with it.
    • The working concept of the sp00ky stuffs which coincidentally created in the time of Halloween. Also, just nailed the horror ambience... Mmmm.
    I hope so. But who knows?

1. RMMV sprites are nice, but turns kinda meh after taking a second glance; they deserve more justice not only in shapes, but in colors.
    2. Looks like I need to reevaluate my spriting technique for future works.
    3. I need to consider my English writing. Most of the contexts weren't delivered well.
    4. No regret in reading much SCP articles so far...
    Hm. Don't know which one is the favorite save for the projects I was involved, lol
    But there are some notable projects worth a note: MOOP, Quidget the Wonderwiener... Should take some time to play them later.