RMMV How do you feel about your game looking back?

Discussion in 'Indie Game Maker (IGMC 2017)' started by Nicola, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Llareian

Llareian Jack of All Trades, Master of None Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm very happy that I finished a game -- my FIRST finished game -- and did it in a month, to boot. It's pretty funny to me though that it's not really a game I'd love to play. It's more of an experiment than a game, I guess you could say.

What would you change about your game?

This is a hard one for me. I don't know what I would change -- I think it did what it was supposed to do and I only ever intended to create it for IGMC. Well, I'd have liked to have put in a more elaborate ending/resolution scene. I had always hoped to but ran out of time. And I'd have toned down my color filter. (That's gotten comments so far.) If I get more feedback, I'll probably come up with something more.

What are you most proud of?
    Finishing a game!

Do you think you'll be in the top 3?
    Haha, heck no, but that was never one of my goals.

What have you learnt when making your game?
    I learned a lot about how to event cutscenes. I've always worked so much on the game basics and kept changing projects that I haven't done a lot of cutscenes. I really enjoy them, though! It's also surprising that after 9 months with the program, I found that I had no idea that half the stuff in the event commands was even there! I think I learned a little about combat balance, but I feel like I have much farther to go in this area.

What is your favourite game you've played so far and why?
    I've only managed to play four so far, so I don't think it would be entirely fair of me to comment at this point. There are a bunch I'm looking forward to playing now that my November travels are over.

2. PKLpikachu

PKLpikachu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'd put in more custom assets that I made myself. Mostly graphics and maybe a few sound bites here and there.

Getting most of the game mechanics working, especially the party members following the player in the map in the Graveyard area.

Nah, there are WAY better games that were entered into the contest.

Mostly the basics of 2k3 and the strengths and the limitations of the program. I mostly work with Ace, so it was nice to see the similarities and differences between the two versions as well.

The Azure Isle is definitely my fave. Nothing too complicated with its story or its gameplay. Its graphics and sound are aesthetically pleasing, and I just want more of it!

Zelgadis85, Kokoro Hane and Nicola like this.
  3. psenough

psenough Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

Been keeping a todo list for a final version, will probably work on it during xmas holidays:
    - ghost encounters less frequently
    - use medicine to lower encounter rate or something
    - fix unable to sell herbs bug
    - be able to buy special item to unlock plot line
    - flashback of youth in ruins
    - flashback of boat going to academy
    - each herb should be only once collectable
    - get special reward for collecting all herbs
    - game over more explicit
    - flashback of tower access
    - proper young battle skills (spells not available in battle)
    - remove banner walking on walls accesses back of castle, or turn it into an easter egg

The concept of the game worked well i think, i'm happy about that. It's not your typical RPG, which was my main aim getting into it.

No way. So many good entries around.

How RPGMaker works and what are it's limitations, which was my main aim with entering the competition.

Lot of interesting gems around, i only checked like 10% of the releases, but the most solid so far have been:
    - Final Winter
    - YOMOTSU
    - MOOP
    - Once upon a Spirit

Zelgadis85 and Nicola like this.
  4. Kokoro Hane

Kokoro Hane Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I definitely would fix some of the audio issues and add more music. There's also a few minor, non-game breaking errors that need to be fixed. I also want to add one new area, as well as a tent town I forgot to add lol. I also wanted to have some small side-quests and more object interaction and secret areas, but time contrains.... And of course, put ALL the voice acted lines in for the cutscenes rather than the sprinkling I have now (again , I ended up in a bind near the end). I'm hoping to do just that after the contest is over for Version 2!

First of all, the game's story. I wasn't sure it would be as good as my first RPG comedy, but the more I wrote it the more it grew on me and I appreciated it for what it was. I loved each character and how they would interact with each other, as well as some turn of events. It was also the first time I had a really obnoxious, arrogant Heroine as I tend to write male supporting characters like that, so it was fun to write (and voice) such a female character... at least in a story I'd released. Felt nice and fresh and hilarious! Secondly, I was actually able to manage making 3 endings (one I am especially proud of). Lastly, my friends Inkhana and Calbhach did a splendid job with the cover art! It looks gorgeous, I did NOT expect them to go all out! All of my teammates who could participate really came through for me! It means the world~

Haha... nope, I highly doubt it. I'm even iffy on getting People's Choice, though it is possible if people like so bad it's good, even with its unintentional trainwreck flaws. Ya never know. Optimism! I am confident I was able to get people to laugh, which I want~

I learned I totally should have started writing as soon as I found this jam. I entered late, but I only had about 8 days left when I finally started (I entered when there was twice that time), which is why things got a bit messy. I also learned how frustrating MV is to use in comparison to Ace... there are many cool POSITIVE features that are better than Ace (like the character generator, for example) and then not so good things (How do you make a script comment? I can't use certain plugins otherwise... why doesn't it support .mp3? That really put me in a bind at the end....) I do love MV and intend to use it, but not for voice-heavy games that rely on fully voiced cutscenes due to not having a good software to mass convert to high quality .ogg (I will not do so one by one....) All in all, I feel this was a great experience. I learned how to better prepare next time, I know MV a little better, etc.

Ooh, that is a tough one! So far it's betweem "Maker of Dreams" and "NPC Town". Check those entries out!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  5. hadecynn

hadecynn Monstructor Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There are two ways to answer this question. If we're talking about fixing bugs, adding more features, further balancing, then obviously there's an endless list of things to improve and optimize. But if we're talking about the big picture in terms of direction, concept, theme, etc. then nothing. I had a strong vision and plan on what I think would win me the contest, I executed it to the best of my abilities, and I'm very satisfied with what I made. It's not perfect, it's not for everyone, but it is exactly what I wanted to enter into this contest.

Everything. The fact that I made my first game, that I did this as a one-man team, that I was able to accomplish the vision I had for this contest entry.

If my assumptions about the judging rubric and style is correct, yes.

How much I love making games.

The Golden Globe. I think it's one of the few games that are well-balanced in every aspect from gameplay to aesthetics to polish.

6. Jaiden

Jaiden RMXP Fiend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    In regards to the entry, quite a lot, and I'm in the process of doing so. The goal was to have an entire town full of quests, a fully functional "dungeon" and lots of combat, but I was crippled by time. At the very least, I would have loved to have made sure all of the bugs were squashed so my incomplete result was a perfectly polished one. I'm glad to be inspired to finish the project, though!

My mapping, cutscene choreographing, and my menus. Those are the things I put the most time and effort into and I think they help set my game apart a little bit.

HECKIN' NO WAY. It's too incomplete. If I actually met my goal...maybe a chance...

I think the importance of coming up with some sort of a product a few days before the deadline so there is plenty of time to review. Also, last minute changes are horribly dangerous. I edited my project up to 15 minutes before the deadline, and potentially caused more bugs as a result.

I actually really enjoyed The Azure Isle by Jake Sauvage. I really liked the exploration system, dialog, and environment. It gave me a nostalgic, GameBoy Advance-esque feeling.

7. Lucy Fox

Lucy Fox Chosen Undead Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    • using MV, cause bigger screen resolution
    • building in mouse controls (cause in the end it's more or less a point n click)
    • putting more effort into some of the sprites
    • making a satisfying ending >.>
    Mhm... probably the style of the spirit world. And especially the head in the basement. (I'm so bad at anatomy! >.>) Also the atmosphere turned out to be quite nice... (at least that's what players are telling me over and over xD )

Lol, never xD There is literally nothing that makes it stand out compared to other games. (Maybe the artstyle and the setting, but that clearly isn't enough to be even recognized.)

What have you learned when making your game?
    Not to have visitors for a week when you have to hit a deadline! >.>
    And never ever paint your maps when you are the slowest human being on earth!
    Also not entering gamejams when you are still feel very burned out and haven't recovered fully from a bad depressive state >.>

Definitely Moop, tightly followed by Midnight Train to nowhere and Star Child.

8. LittleLynx

LittleLynx Warper Member

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I guess after looooong considering I have the answers for the questions. xD

Nothing basic but many details and I would add a lot. FaceSets, a few more cutscenes and I would add more endings and add a few things to the gameplay to make it more deep and interesting.
    Sure, we all only had one month to finish the game, but it still feels very raw and unfinished to me.

Definitly the maps and character sprites! °^°

At first I thought so. But after I got word that there's a really nasty bug, I do not even think I'm getting any significant placement. ^^ '
    That I still love the RMXP more than the VxAce. xD But it was really nice to work with it instead of the XP.
    I used the knowledge that I was able to collect so far. But I can not say if it was just the right thing, or if that was exactly what had thwarted me.

And finally

Definitly "Once Upon a Spirit" from Lucy Fox. I really ADORE her games to death and this one is something new and different from her but still with her very own touch. The story is tragic but so nice and interesting and the gameplay really creative. I just love it.

But there are MANY other awesome games submitted which I really like and which I would recommend to my friends.

Zelgadis85, Nicola and Lucy Fox like this.
  9. luizcubas

luizcubas Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Pt-BR
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'd add more story and create different layout of dungeons and fix that ugly bug that make the game crash in some computers :(

The battlesystem and the upgrade skill system was really hard to develop in such short time, I'm glad that people have fun playing with it.

Nope.

I really learned a lot of new tricks with Javascript studying how the MV engine works behind the stage, how the class Window works and how some Yanfly plugins works.

There is a lot of games to play, still, my favorite for now it's Dear Edwin, the music, the art and the story are so amazing.

Zelgadis85, Nicola and Gabrelik like this.
  10. Gigglemoo

Gigglemoo Member Title Veteran

Everything could've used more development time. Note to self: Find out about the IGMC earlier next year.

Making an experience that's really polarizing. Everyone is interpreting it in different ways. Some people think it's garbage and shut it off in minutes. A lets play thought it was a dull, very personal story and it made them uncomfortable commenting on it. Others have said it's interesting or really nails how depression feels. The description alone had an ex sending me worried messages :) This is something I've never been good at.

Hellz to the no. I do hope we see a similar game in the results. There's quite a few entries dealing with difficult mental illness topics.

People don't like to play depressy games. :) Less ended up being more with my topic. I cut all non-walking gameplay out when it was starting to make the game interesting to play & distracting from the theme.

Zelgadis85, Nicola and Allan Bays like this.
  11. Gabrelik

Gabrelik Almighty Maker of Sandwiches Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    We just didn't really get to finish it. :guffaw: Honestly, we were so ambitious, and wanted to do so many things. I really wish we could have gotten more interactive elements into the game, such as clue finding and more environmental storytelling. The next installment should really pop with these additions.

The way our group really came together. We didn't always agree on which direction to take, but it was always simple to unify and compromise. We worked through roadblocks with an ease and comfort that I don't think many teams get to share. Especially for a first project. I am looking forward to many more titles released under Lazy Bum Studios. :rock-left:B):rock-right:

I have my doubts. What we ended up creating was a blast, and an absolutely amazing experience. I stand by it with all that I am, but that being said, it is really more of an interactive novel than a game. There are so many wonderful entries, and a huge outpouring of talent was present for this event. Some of these projects are intensely creative and I love them to death. I don't expect us to make the top 3, but I'm extremely grateful for (as of today) almost 700 downloads and so many top notch reviews. It let's us know that what we did is at least on the right track. :D

I learned quite a bit in the field of pixelart from one of my teammates, and I was happy to do a bit of work in the engine. I spend most of my time these days working on resources, so it is a rare thing when I get to event. It was nice, and a welcome change. I also had the opportunity to dust off an old love of writing. What I learned most, however, is how much can truly be accomplished in such a short time, especially if you have a great group of people.

What is your favorite game you've played so far and why?
    So far, I'm a big fan of Legend of Protey for the creativity and concepts, but there are some close contenders. I still have yet to play a few that are high on my list, but I'm getting there.

Also...I just noticed that this guy looks like Mr. Satan from DBZ: :mrsatan::mrsatan::mrsatan::mrsatan::mrsatan::mrsatan:

Zelgadis85, Nicola, Kyuukon and 2 others like this.
  12. Allan Bays

Allan Bays Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Aside from the laundry list of things I've already changed I want to go back and redo all of my early maps. I want to add more D&D adventure elements to the game like traps, hidden doors, and puzzles. I would also love to get SmRndmDde's summon core to work properly along side yanfly's battle core and animation sequences.

I am most proud of myself. I finally took the plung, and found my starting point. I am so eager to start new projects now but I want to finish this one first. Since I work full time and go to college I just don't have time for side projects. I also know that seeing this through to the end will lay the rest of the groundwork I need to know for making a game from start to finish.

Naw, but that was never my goal. Of course I made my game to the best of my ability, but I'm so new at this. I was only out for constructive criticism and tutoring from more experienced developers.

I can not even begin to quantify how much I know now vs. what I knew at the start of this. I have so much more to learn, but I learned so much so fast I don't even feel like the same person. But more than just what I've learned are the skills I've already had that have laid dormant for so long, until now that this community and contest brought it all back out. And finally, this has inspired me to try my hardest in my computer science classes so I can better understand the real coding.

I'm torn between two great games on this. I really liked Understood because it hit close to home, and it was very good at getting it's point across. I also enjoyed Lucie a lot, but I'm a sucker for a good horror RPG.

just1witness, Zelgadis85 and Nicola like this.
  13. Zelgadis85

Zelgadis85 IGMC 17 Entrant Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Oh, there's a big list of changes I've gathered from feedback so far. One thing in particular would be adding a real ending to my game. I also wish to extend the game length by a lot, as it can be completed in ten minutes.

The fact that I actually finished a game for the contest, and in less than two weeks (I entered really late). It might be a pile of trash (at least according to Indrah, but I was kinda expecting that the moment I asked her to check the game).

No way. And if I end up there, I'll question the sanity of the judges. The game might not be the worst out there, but there are dozens of better entries.

The need to plan efficiently. I scrapped my first game project after four days into the contest and added it as a bonus. Also a protip for all devs: make a checklist of features that are absolutely necessary for your games and one for things you'd like to include, first work off the first list and afterwords spend your energy bug fixing and hopefully working off things from the second list.

Out of the games I've played so far... I personally liked Dungeon Down by @luizcubas and A Conga's Tale by @Nicola. Many good games other than these two are out there as well, but none have struck gold like they did (so far).

Nicola, Dezue and luizcubas like this.
  14. Nicola

Nicola Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you @Zelgadis85, I very much appreciate yours and everyone else's honesty and I'm also over the moon that you like A Conga's Tale so much. It can be hard when others don't like your game, but I feel like even this topic is evidence that there is a wide variance of what people like. Almost everyone has given a different answer to what their favourites are. What one person might consider to be not enjoyable, another person might love! Everyone has clearly put effort into their own games so I think everyone should feel proud of their accomplishments, even if they seem minor I think creating any kind of game in a few weeks is amazing.

15. Roden124

Roden124 Villager Member

First Language:
    English

Funnily enough, the game on display is the changed production. Considering that I barely uploaded this revision at the last second, overturning the original premise was the right call to make. I just wasn't feeling the direction the game was going in, and I feel like players wouldn't have either, so I scrapped a fair amount of crucial time and effort to make something palatable for everybody. Other than a few oversights (which I've corrected and attached to the game page,) I achieved what I set out to do. Can it be improved? Of course! I could spend a year on it if I choose, but for less than a whole month's work, I'm satisfied. I will go back to my game later, but for now, I'm taking a big break from it. :kaoswt:

I was able to show off most (but definitely not all!) of my resources in a natural way, so now I can really focus on making future IGMC entries especially tight. If I'm suddenly transported to another universe to fulfill the prophecy of legend, the tales of which will surely inspire a successful series of Young Adult novels and assorted merchandise, at least I was able to get my assets out in the world, leaving no regrets
    when I sacrifice myself to save a planet.

If the judges value confidence:
    Absolutely, yes. Given the right opportunity, the property as established can stand to make Degica a lucrative mountain of money with just a little bit of refinement and marketing.

If the judges value humility: My maw always said, "Life's about the journey, now finish yer potaters," and I'm inclined to agree.
    When me and my paw would go fishin' around the family farm, he too said,
    "My son, you do what your heart desires and you will make it big in this world."
    He was actually talking to our golden mutt Skips McCree, but I have since applied this wisdom to my own perspective.
    Money isn't everything, life is.
    My grampapaw and my grammamaw made a nickelodeon motion picture film in 1909 with nothin' but straw and a can-do attitude,
    an' they had the time of their lives because of all the happy memories and friends they made along the way.
    No matter what happens, I've already placed first in the top 3 of my heart.

I've learnt that, when making a game in the timespan of a month, your starting idea should be as small as possible. Only expand when you have at least a week of idle thumbs ahead of you, or use that remaining time to make another entry!

Please forgive me! I haven't played any yet, but I've been meaning to. Assume I like everything!:kaohi:

Nicola and Zelgadis85 like this.
  16. The Mighty Palm

The Mighty Palm Resident Palm Tree Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Guess I'll join in, my entry was The Golden Pearl.

• About the game itself? VERY LITTLE. If there was anything I could have changed that I felt needed it, I would've done it. Things I would have loved to change like the super basic combat that I added because people kept requesting it, I can't change because there's no good way to make action-type combat in VX ACE (at least not that I was able to use, because non-commercial scripts are a thing that exist). Not having a dash button? Had to be that way because dashing caused some game-breaking issues that couldn't be worked around and the maps are super small anyway. I wanted to replace my music with the music from the 8-bit collection pack, but couldn't because VX Ace doesn't encrypt the audio and distributing the music would violate it's terms and I'dve been in deep doody. One thing I WILL change is that the default music volume is too loud. it was supposed to be 80, but it's set to 100 instead. Something I personally forgot to change as I've got sensitive hearing so my sound is always really really low, and didn't know it was still that loud until it was too late.

• Something not gameplay related I would have changed is that I would have made my special thanks list so much longer. Simply putting "everyone on so-and-so" doesn't have the same weight as individual thanking everyone that took time to play and analyze my game, even when they were working hard at their own projects. They deserve better recognition than I gave them, and after the judging is over, that will be the first thing I fix. That, and all the bugs people found post-submission-date.
    • Completion! Making a game in a month is hard. Hard as a goats face. There is so very little time to do so much stuff. So I'm proud of setting my decisions overall, because I managed to finish AND have time to take feedback and make changes.
    • I'm most proud of everyone else. Good job guys ; u ;
    • Would I like to be? Of course.
    • Do I think I will? I'm not too confident.
    • Do I even have a chance? Yes, but it depends on the judging criteria.
    • That live-streaming is the most popular form of reviewing, and I made a game that is supposed to be taken slow and therfore very boring to watch someone else play. If I ever enter another IGMC, I'll keep this in mind.
    • That people can be really great and it feels good when someone tells you they genuinely enjoyed something you made.
    • The nitty gritty of copyright laws.
    • I haven't played many, but Monstruct was one I played and enjoyed just because it did something unique and creative in the 30 day time limit. Was it perfect? No, but it could be really really good once it has had more time and love devoted to it.
    • EDIT: Now that I've played it: Palleta. It held my attention the whole way through! Short and sweet, and with a lovely aesthetic, it had very simple gameplay that was enjoyable and easy to get into. Probably gets my vote.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  17. schlitty

schlitty Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, I've noticed at least one annoying spelling error despite my many proofreads... So there's that! Haha. I'm actually pretty content with what I managed in a month. But if there has to be some things; I do wish I had the chance to get more original art into it because the gameplay is so "one note" the whole way. Specifically facesets and tilesets. Just didn't have the time to learn tilesets well and I gave up too quickly on figuring out a style for the facesets within my capabilities. Just took the easier way out and used Game Character Hub, which was plenty interesting and useful to learn. But I really wanted different facial reactions and stuff depending on where conversations went as my game is purely conversations. Which to that point, some sort of other gameplay feature probably would have kept things remotely interesting. !!EDIT!!: One other nitpick that dawned on me; I probably could have done a much much better job conveying the setting is well in the future.

Being content with myself and what I managed to create. That I actually did it and that I'm content with what it is vs the initial dreams and visions is a cool feeling. I've always had dozens and dozens and dozens of stories and ideas that would work as this or that. But they never get told because I always find a way not to tell them! This is the first time I actually did it. And I didn't let the roadblocks along the month, which were many, grow into an excuse to quit. And there were at least two real low lows where packing it in seemed like the best option. But in the end I learned RPG Maker VX Ace from the ground up and somehow made my story work within it. Felt neat to just do that and then to feel content on top of it.

No. Every game I've played has been more complex in so many different ways than mine. I don't think I even scratched the surface of what I've now seen RPG Maker can do. But top 3 was never on my radar or my goal. I just wanted to enter.

What have you learned when making your game?

I was new to it all so I learned tons starting from the very basics. Spent the first week just watching and reading RPG Maker VX Ace tutorials while writing the story and learning other software on the side. Not a day went by where I didn't learn how to get past a new problem I hadn't even fathomed. Game, story, and style were constantly evolving as I learned more. Was a really neat learning experience.

I've only played around 20 games of the games but the stand out for me so far is The Sculptor. Its a fairly generic horror story. Think something along the lines of the Saw movie series. I'm not even a fan of the horror genre so I wasn't feeling it at all going in. But it was Halloween-timed game jam so I figured why not! Was well worth it. I found the puzzles and progression very well thought out and put together. And with the countdown timer in the game ticking away adding some pressure I was fumbling around early on. Eventually realizing the puzzles had some real thought to them I got much much more engaged. I like puzzles and problem solving and The Sculptor delivered. Once I got in the right mindset I started knocking them out and progressing. It all felt clever enough and constructed well each step. And most importantly it was satisfying to progress in and beat. Fun times.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  18. MikomiKisomi

MikomiKisomi Actual Witch Miko Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My entry was That Which Binds Us, which is linked in my signature.

The walking sprites. All the graphics were hand-drawn, including the walking sprites. It was my first time using that custom base that I made, and I realized halfway through making sprites that I hated it. It's extremely small (albeit bigger than default RTP sprites) and was just not the size I wanted. I was also rushed for time (I entered with 10 days to spare as a solo dev, rip me) so I couldn't spend a lot of time making sprites, resulting in some (like Byron's) coming out bad or just simply wrong (his is shorter than the MC's, Evalise's, even though he should obviously be taller).

Probably the concept and characters. I'm happy with the story and how it has come out so far (despite just being a demo- I will work towards a full release after judging is over) and most people agree.

Does anyone seriously think their entry is the best of the best? :p Ha, no, not for me. I can only hope that people will like my entry and I'll have met new people because of this event.

It takes a loooot longer than I anticipated to put copy text into RPGM and change pictures. My entry was a visual novel, so I had bust sprites for every dialogue conversation, and like a typical VN, they change whenever someone is talking. I didn't realize how long it takes to copy and paste dialogue from my script into RPGM, which is why I was only able to submit a demo even though the entire dialogue script was finished (8k words).

19. AtlasAtrium

AtlasAtrium I don't know anything ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Along with InazumatheLightning, we made Star Child!

Oh boy. . . everything, I guess? I was so focused on fitting the game's story into the hour limit that I felt like everything suffered in some way as a result, perhaps it would've been better off if I stuck with the pace I typically have my games at! Characters definitely could've been more interesting or had more fun interactions, everyone was so goal oriented that I didn't get a chance to develop them at all. I felt like I had a strong concept to work with but I didn't really make use of its potential story-wise so that's a bit of a bummer and the combat I know was pretty unintuitive to some people because you kinda start out with everything right away.

The ending, maybe? I think I did a good job concluding the story, but other than that I enjoyed working on the battle system a lot!

Eh, I considered it might be a possibility at first but seeing everyone's favorite picks and reading over some feedback, I'm starting to think I had my hopes up too much ^^;

MV hates me

A Conga's Tale was a delight to play! After about 50 or so entries, it's still easily my favorite one haha.

Zelgadis85, Dezue and Nicola like this.
  20. Talonos

Talonos Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ours is Final Winter:

- There's a chest in map 1-2 that, by the time you are able to access it, has junk in it you'd not care about. I'd axe it.
    - RNG protection: If you get two consecutive runs with no additional progress, you get a guaranteed artifact on the floor before the one you're stuck on.
    - Make the slime in room 1-2's middle section look upward occasionally so he's avoidable.
    - Remove a spider in map 1-3.
    - Remove the chest behind the scorpions in the second room of map 2-1; before being given the option to not shield dash in exchange for treasure, they should be fully onboarded to the use of shield dash.
    - If the player fails to use shield dash by the fourth room or so in map 2-1, remind them again that "hey this is useful and you really should be using it to avoid combats!"
    - Slightly faster crystal growth; you should hit level 1 in most attributes by the end of your second run.

All these things are minor, but that's because I'm assuming this question means "What would have you done differently in your month." If you're asking "What would you change if you had all the time in the world," then OH BOY there's so much stuff that could use additional polish! (Final four levels, ending, the town in general, more cutscenes describing the curse/light entity, etc.)

Combat. It's quick and snappy. Also the dungeon map design, esp. map 3-2 and 4-2. Making a good map whose flow changes significantly depending on what traversal abilities you have was a fun challenge. Also the title art. Holy cow our artist rocked that.

Not sure. Top 20, yes. Where in the top 20 we place depends on a lot of random chance; tastes of the individual judges, whether the judges trigger the crashes in some of the more popular games, whether the judges "grok" the shield dash ability in our or fail to understand how it can shave whole minutes off your run, etc.

How to manage a team. Github, code merging, how the Json map format works. Scoping.

Happy Slappy. It had a shot at winning, but it needed to be more serious about its parody. Its core mechanic was highly engaging. With a little more polish, I think it could have placed, but sadly it had stuff out of place, like a formation menu that you could never use, item slots that were never used, etc. It thought it was a low effort joke entry; it was wrong. It was good, and properly scoped! I wish the author had made it a high effort joke entry.