Xenwarrior5

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm trying to make a sci-fi game where you go to different planets by boarding your ship, then manually flying it to your destination. I've already got it set up so that the ship is sailing on invisible water tiles (it's specifically the ship and not the airship so that there can be random encounters), but I need to make it so that when you board your ship while on a planet, it transfers you to the space map while sailing on your ship.

Xenwarrior5

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It looks like this is possible by using the event command "get on/off vehicle", but the player has to spawn adjacent to the boat or ship, rather than on top of it.

And it's easy enough to use screen fades & tints to hide the player walking onto the ship (or just make them invisible on the map transfer), so I guess that's the thread solved.

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wouldn't recommend it but... Just tell the player: "Get in the vehicle or I will beat you and your family!" That should do it.

Oh wait... You mean in the game? :p I knew that.

On the second page of the commands, there is a command for that. Before this command you can add a moveroute to move the player wowards the vehicle first.
1643309057079.png

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It looks like this is possible by using the event command "get on/off vehicle", but the player has to spawn adjacent to the boat or ship, rather than on top of it.

And it's easy enough to use screen fades & tints to hide the player walking onto the ship (or just make them invisible on the map transfer), so I guess that's the thread solved.
Oh... You want the player to be visible on top of the boat? Or do I misunderstand the question? Hmmm... Then you need to edit the graphics. There is no default option to show the player actually in the boat. When the player is in the boat, the player is invisible.

Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Wouldn't it be simpler to just change the player's appearance to that of the spaceship?

As long as you don't intend to have the player walk on the surface of the planet, I see no need to use vehicles at all.

Tj_Silverfang

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The best way I know is to create a transfer event that goes from surface map to space map and use the ship picture as the icon.

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wouldn't it be simpler to just change the player's appearance to that of the spaceship?

As long as you don't intend to have the player walk on the surface of the planet, I see no need to use vehicles at all.
Not entirely... See, with airships, you can fly over objects. I wouldn't know how to do that with a playing character.

Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Not entirely... See, with airships, you can fly over objects. I wouldn't know how to do that with a playing character.

That's true, but:
  • OP isn't using an airship anyway.
    I've already got it set up so that the ship is sailing on invisible water tiles (it's specifically the ship and not the airship so that there can be random encounters)

• This is supposed to be a space map, so there is no "up" in space. There are also no objects in space except maybe for asteroids or other spaceships. If you're going to put in the effort to add asteroids/spaceships in a space map, wouldn't you expect the player to dodge them instead of flying "over" them?

• The player character isn't even supposed to be on this map (from what I understand), so you could just set all tiles to be passable, if necessary.

• Making the player "fly over" things is as simple as using a Set Movement Route event and set "Through" to ON.

But maybe I just misunderstood the question.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

@Xenwarrior5 & @JohnDoeNews , please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can use the "Edit" function on your posts to add additional information you've forgotten or respond to multiple people. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But maybe I just misunderstood the question.
Nah, I think I just misunderstood you instead. :p I thought you meant vehicle events were obsolete in general. :p

(Edit: Mlogan, Oh... What happened is while I wrote one, the other message came trough as well. I thought that one was posted after mine, but I guess I that wasn't the case. )

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So the Fire alarm went off 3 times in less then a half hour on my building. But my cat is so use to it going off he doesn't even run behind the couch anymore. He is just like, "This again?"
It has been brought to my attention that the name of my main robot protagonist in bio-Synthetica (R3-M1) is a Star Wars character LOL Woops. Always Google search names. The new name of my robot is now K0-R1. :kaophew:
I'm considering making my own battlers from scratch, it seems like a daunting task, but I like the look of it so much...A_Miriam3.png
I picked up running again after a long time and managed to get from 2.25km to 7km in two weeks :3 Time to get rid of those covid kilos!
Have you ever wondered what the lives of the NPC's are like in your hero's story? Come an find out with us as we play, "A Story Beside" by Wayward Prophet :LZSexcite:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francis187