iskillzi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello, all my friends are saying that before I start getting into making maps a whole lot I need to create a storyline, so I'm just wondering what's an efficient way to plan it out and write it down?

Do you use something like a flowchart, notepad, some other writing program?

isakbladh

Isakbladh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
just write it down on a paper if you like to, doesn't matter.

I have my story planned out in mind!

So be sure to have a good story before starting to create the actuall game, also make the head charaters have their own story that you can tell bit by bit trough the game!

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
First, I start with an overall concept.

From there, I determine what this means for the game world.  Then, I try to write out an outline of the major plot points to lead up to the Grand Finale.  Basically, I say "Where do I want the player to start?" and "Where do I want the player to end up?"  Then, I make a first pass at figuring out a logical series of events which lead from start to finish.

Then, as I write the game, I see those quickly diverge, and revise constantly.  Maybe when I draw out a map, I'm inspired to add a nifty tower.  If I want one, I ask myself "Why is this tower there, in-universe?"  Unless the entire game is taking place in someone's demented mind, there needs to be a good reason why, for example, a large tower or castle would be sitting where it is.  Those are gigantic amounts of labor and expense to build, much moreso in the classic fantasy setting.  But even today you wouldn't see someone just saying "Eh, I want to put a castle there."

Unless that person is an eccentric billionaire, that is.

Basically, I have an idea of where I want to go, then as I actually start making the game, drawing the maps, I let that idea shift and change significantly.  In my current game, I'm finding huge amounts of change as I say "No, that won't work, I'll try this."

iskillzi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the ideas guys, these help a lot.

MRColourblock

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I get my ideas rather spontaneous but sometimes I sit down an think about my next step but either way I write all my ideas down. But most of the time, I get my ideas when working on a map. (btw. the shower is a great place to get ideas :p  )

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Making progress. And simplifying.
jV7qfoy.gif
Not sure why I'm a jack of all trades , master of none... Sigh. Album out 06/03/2022 on all ur favorite platforms. 10 tracks.
Hmm... Mushrooms, maybe they're not poisonous...
unknown.png
Hi, I'm a new and upcoming Indie Developer, and I could really use some help when it comes to system programming. Explorers can only go so far before needing a map, you know?
I made a comic strip with the characters of my game.Flor en la cola eng.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kingpi731