How do you go about deciding Stats (Players/Enemies)

overlordmikey

BroCo. Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It's something that's been on my mind so I thought I'd get people's takes on it. There doesn't really seem to be a right way to do this so it's nice to hear from others.

One way I've tried to create a way of "balancing" stats is to pick a base number like hypothetically "200" and then disperse that number among the stats (Except HP and MP which are then decided by a different math formula like combining ATK and DEF then multiplying it by 10 for HP.) so a characters base stats might look like:

Patty Lv 1
HP 500
MP 250
Attack 25
Defense 25
M.Attack 25
M. Defense 25
Agility 25
Luck 75

Then every level characters gain a base amount like "10" spread out into the stats.

Patty Lv 2
HP 500 -> 530
MP 250 -> 260
Attack 25 + 1
Defense 25 + 2
M.Attack 25 + 1
M. Defense 25 +1
Agility 25 + 2
Luck 75 + 3

I use a similar logic for enemies.

No sure if this is a great method, but it makes stating characters and enemies a lot easier in theory (not always in practice). Anyway I'm still pretty green over-all so I'm bound not to always do the smartest of things.

How do you go about stating your characters and enemies?

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Starting stats for attack and defence in the low double digits (10's-20's) and then multiply those by like ~20 at level 99. The HP stat is around twice the number of the attack and defence stats. MP is a near flat curve, since the combat system is based around constantly gaining back MP in combat to keep on using Skills, adding more MP to character pools doesn't do a whole lot... The number for max MP is based on the costs of the skills, and generally a little over twice the amount of MP needed to cast a cheaper skill twice in a row without MP regen.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
To be honest, there is nothing wrong with the number. All that matters is how is your damage formula. +1 can be trivial or a game-changer depends if you plan to use a.atk * 4 or a.atk * 0.5, and how much HP does the enemy have. Those are just a few of many factors.

Speaking of the enemy, I usually have a rule of thumb that if an enemy is supposed to be fought at a certain level (and with certain equipment), I made sure that particular enemy dies within a few hits of a normal attack. The HP/Def numbers can be anything. Likewise, the enemy should defeat the player with x times hit (usually more than how many hits that the player required to defeat them).

This works for fast-paced battles that you can recover HP more quickly (as well as lose them). For resources sapping types of battles (in which, encounters are basically there to exhaust your resources over many battles), it may have a different formula that I'm not familiar with.

Last edited:

overlordmikey

BroCo. Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
All that matters is how is your damage formula. +1 can be trivial or a game-changer depends if you plan to use a.atk * 4 or a.atk * 0.5, and how much HP does the enemy have. Those are just a few of many factors.
Ya know I've seen it mentioned a few times, but what does the + 1 do exactly in this case, just ensure the attack always does a bonus extra point of damage. I probably sound so dumb right now.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
with the RM database relying on the damage formula for every skill, individually, it doesn't matter what values you use.
if you want them to matter, establish a common formula first, and send every calculation through it.
that way, if you find an enemy too strong or too weak, it's definitely a fault with the stats selection you picked for it, because you can still fight hand-to-hand before you add skills.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think what's important is to make the value of each stat roughly equal. This is especially true when it comes to offensive vs defensive stats. As in, a point of ATK should be worth about as much as a point of DEF, and so on. For enemies, I also use the method you described, where X number of stats are spread around the 6 primary stats. Specifically, I have the stats add up to a total of 90. This averages out to 15 for each stat. This is due to my use of Yanfly's Enemy Level plugin, which allows scaling the stats you set by level. So I typically make each stat range from 10-20, w/ 15 being "average". A monster w/ 18-20 in ATK for instance, would hit like a truck. For players, I allow more freedom due to having a stat allocation system. If you're looking for hard numbers, I have characters start out at lv1 w/ stats in the single digits. They'll quickly get to the "teens" within the 1st few levels and by lv50 (max) a character's stats will typically range from 70 - 230. The actual stat spread really depends on build and gear. But yea, it's imperative to figure out, first and foremost, what each of your stats does.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's probably counter-intuitive, but here's how I've done it:

Characters
15 Point distribution of stats for first 3.
17 Point distribution of stats for next 2.
18 Point distribution of stats for next 1.
20 Point distribution of stats for next 2.
22 Point distribution of stats for last 1.

Every 5 points into a stat equals 1. So, 15 Points to distribute is about 75 points. I do not split up the stats into anything EXCEPT multiples of 5. This is to make initial balancing easier for characters you just obtained.

The first 3 characters you obtain have the lowest stat distribution because they will be with you the longest. They will have the most "direct upgrades" to their stats. The last character gets 22 points because they will be with you the least amount of time and they've got to make up some ground somewhere.

Likewise, I also have a system in place to handle "stats gains before you get the characters". Because my Level Ups don't distribute stat points at all, this is also easy to manage. Player gets an item to raise Attack by 1, they use it on anyone they like. Using this item also increases a variable by that amount. That variable then activates right as you obtain the new party member to distribute the stats accordingly. This variable is also "divided" by current amount of party members.

Put simply, if you have the Attack Variable up to 300, and you're picking up your fourth party member, then 300 is divided by 3 to give the new character 100 Attack on top of their base stat.

Enemies
Enemies are meant to kill each character in 5 hits. Characters are meant to kill each monster in about 4 hits. I tweak monster stats until that happens. I have a spreadsheet of everything players are meant to have access to at any given point in the game and a "total stat spread" for each character. Balancing is the "on average" between two extremes (if players have the weakest equipment and minimal amount of stat points possible or if players have the best equipment and maximum amount of stat points possible). This "average" isn't a hard number either. Clever players can break that number (and they will... and they SHOULD). Players that are struggling will have issues killing things in 4 hits and will be using a lot of consumables to heal up.

So, if character A has 20 HP and 15 Defense, then Monster B should have around 19 Attack to drain the 4 HP necessary each round to kill a character. If Character A's attack is 25, and Monster B has 20 HP, then Monster B's Defense should be about 20 to ensure 4 hits to die.

These stats do not account for "Skill Usage" in combat either. They are straight up attack damage. Skills do a lot more damage, but consume a good sized chunk of MP to pull off (even for Monsters).

Balance
Honestly, Balance is whatever you decide it should be. It will be highly variable on the type of game you're creating. I'm creating a "difficult" game where every stat point matters and where using skills and strategy are how you will win. So, my formulas are rather simple and I'm restrictive on what stats I give out and how many. Every fight is meant to teach you something. You are meant to take a while to kill enemies on your first encounter of them and then blow them away very quickly and easily once you figure out how to do so. My dungeons are only about whittling away the resources of players who don't learn very quickly.

Most standard RPG's, on the other hand, have their dungeons as a "gauntlet" to whittle down your resources over the course of the thing over time. So, their balancing is about fighting a ton of enemies all at once and making you expend items and MP to end fights quickly. Or, gradually whittle down your HP over the course of three dozen fights to make you use some of your resources.

Balance is basically about you communicating to the player what your game is like and how you want them to be playing it.

G-G-Games

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I find it aesthetically pleasing for stats to be in the same ballpark and be similarly useful to the player when comparing offense and defense, as @Frostorm mentions. If imbalances occur due to the damage formula selected, perhaps increases in HP and/or differences in equipment costs can mitigate them.
Example 1 (Level-up):
+1 Attack results in +4 damage*​
+1 Defense results in -2 damage taken*​
+10 HP will make it so a character fighting themself would go down in 5 hits​
(assuming that stats are proportional to the growth during the level up)​
Example 2 (new equipment):
weapon gives +10 Attack (+40 damage*)​
armor gives +10 Defense (-20 damage*)​
could have armor also grant +100 HP to make its benefit "equal" to the weapon's​
could instead make the weapon cost twice as much since the weapon is "better"​
*using the default damage formula for the Attack skill in MV (a.atk * 4 - b.def * 2)​
For my most recent project, I made enemies' attack and defense values close to what I expected the characters' to be when they were encountered. That way I could easily predict how much HP to give enemies and how easily characters would survive prior to using the Battle Test for fine-tuning.

Predicting character's stats was mostly based upon their equipment since I had character stats (other than HP/MP) only scale by +1/+2 with level 1 stats of about 50, while an equipment upgrade made a change of about +50. Rather than distinguish various characters by their stat growth rates, I made their level 1 stats different: +10 for their strengths and -10 for their weaknesses.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm making Toilet in Wonderland 2. and tell vinny about it lol
WE ARE THE BORG. YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS WILL BE ADDED TO OUR OWN. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.
D2R save files are so broken. how was the beta test better then the full release. blizzard's last hope crashed and burned.
they're getting no more chances from me.
Anyone going to talk about Chris Pratt Mario?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biscoitovelho