AeroPergold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I need help dealing with being burnt out on making RPG Maker projects. I just cancelled my current project "Anterograde Fantasy" because of dealing with The Caretaker and his music as the themes of his music are references and built within AF, but long story short, I'm no longer making it and in need of a new project idea.

But here's the thing. I have no idea what to make next. I felt like I tried everything that wacky and unique such as Nazi Germany invading a land of talking ponies or the creator of the Touhou Project games getting kidnapped by the CEO of Commodore and being saved by the guy who made the ZX Spectrum. I even made a fangame about furries set on the Island of Sodor! But I feel like I've run out of ideas and want to know how the people on this forum deal with creative burn out. What I might do is play some RPGs and hopefully inspire myself to make something.

Idk, what do you guys think?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
one common method is to have two or three different types of projects and switch between them if you're tired of one type.
for example game making, story writing or something like that, and having slightly different projects for those (for example if one has a classic fantasy project, do a science fiction or urban fantasy in the other.

the key is to return to the older projects after a pause, not starting new ones every time.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When near a burnout I personally just go play other games or do something else entirely, listening to music usually also helps me a lot (but then Im weird).
Mostly tho I'll make sure I am having fun.

More often then not this will result in me making a small thing or giving feedback on other projects which usually will lead to relighting that fire for my own projects. I never however delete my projects when feeling burned out... usually that leads to regrets.

However I never try to be original or unique and just make whatever I feel like making so the pressure is less from the start I guess.

Anyway that's my two cents xD

AeroPergold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
one common method is to have two or three different types of projects and switch between them if you're tired of one type.
for example game making, story writing or something like that, and having slightly different projects for those (for example if one has a classic fantasy project, do a science fiction or urban fantasy in the other.

the key is to return to the older projects after a pause, not starting new ones every time.
I usually work on one project at a time since I don't want to overload myself. I always have a few ideas on hand but sometimes I don't feel as interested in some of them.

TrentL111

Archmage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I make short goals for myself, like "finish this dungeon," or "get past this cutscene." Once I do so, I'll take a break for a week or so, then come back fully energized and ready to work. Play other games, work out, etc. Anything helps, and once you feel that desire to return building within you, you'll be good.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree with @Andar its good to add things that are distinctly differently. Like my first project was a sci-fi fantasy and my current is urban fantasy. Trying out genres you haven't tried before could also freshen things up. For example maybe you could make a 1 to 2 map horror game or platformer(I hear rpg maker isn't the best engine for this). Alternatively you could try a different hobby all together like composing music or art.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I usually work on one project at a time since I don't want to overload myself. I always have a few ideas on hand but sometimes I don't feel as interested in some of them.
you don't work at the different projects at the same time.
you let the other project gather dust for months while working on the current one, until you get stuck with the current one and change back to the old one for several months. and only change back again when you are tired of the old one again.

Walldeaf

The Event-Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi AeroPergold,

This happens to all of us.
I created a game like 3 years ago, and never finished it.
Untill 2 months ago when I suddenly picked it up again and completed it.
Just small tiny details added and it was done.

Sometimes when I run out of inspiration I surf the internet and stuff.
Take a look here. It may also inspire you.
It also depends on what kind of a game you are making.
Do you have only quests in it, or use sidequest?
Make those quests worthwile, like when you need to get something,
have another person NPC also need then to save their town, go with them to their town,
Help them, so you get your quest item, and saved a town, then return to the questgiver.
Something like that.
Feel acomplished.

That's kinda it.

If you need a break, we all do sometimes.
I'm starting a new project, bought MV, made 4 chars and 4 names, and now....
Well, it will come to me....when the time is right.
Parrallel universes? Who knows, different times? Who knows?

AeroPergold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Finnuval
When near a burnout I personally just go play other games or do something else entirely, listening to music usually also helps me a lot (but then Im weird).
Mostly tho I'll make sure I am having fun.

More often then not this will result in me making a small thing or giving feedback on other projects which usually will lead to relighting that fire for my own projects. I never however delete my projects when feeling burned out... usually that leads to regrets.

However I never try to be original or unique and just make whatever I feel like making so the pressure is less from the start I guess.

Anyway that's my two cents xD
@Trentl111 I make short goals for myself, like "finish this dungeon," or "get past this cutscene." Once I do so, I'll take a break for a week or so, then come back fully energized and ready to work. Play other games, work out, etc. Anything helps, and once you feel that desire to return building within you, you'll be good.
@Walldeaf
This happens to all of us.
I created a game like 3 years ago, and never finished it.
Untill 2 months ago when I suddenly picked it up again and completed it.
Just small tiny details added and it was done.

Sometimes when I run out of inspiration I surf the internet and stuff.
Take a look here. It may also inspire you.
It also depends on what kind of a game you are making.
Do you have only quests in it, or use sidequest?
Make those quests worthwile, like when you need to get something,
have another person NPC also need then to save their town, go with them to their town,
Help them, so you get your quest item, and saved a town, then return to the questgiver.
Something like that.
Feel acomplished.

That's kinda it.

If you need a break, we all do sometimes.
I'm starting a new project, bought MV, made 4 chars and 4 names, and now....
Well, it will come to me....when the time is right.
Parrallel universes? Who knows, different times? Who knows?
These are all fantastic ideas and I will use them all as I think these are really good strategies on helping deal with burn out. I had a project in the background so I could resume work on that. But I will listen to music, play some games, and in due time I will overcome this. Thank you everyone with your support! :)

Walldeaf

The Event-Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
but then Im weird
Haha, aren't we all ?

I forgot to mention, but I also play other rpgs from this site.
Currently I'm playing "Origin Hunt". That story line is even better then my game, lol.
That helps me alot too, just having fun.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just take a break and then get back to it when I have motivation/inspiration to work on it again. That's all there really is to it, for me.

Rodak

Dang Hippy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Math
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
To deal with burn out I usually do things which I cannot discuss here because they would violate the Terms Of Use on this particular forum :LZSevil:

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Play games. Other RPG Maker games are good, too. That helps you get inspiration and come up with new ideas.
However, be cautious about putting your project on hold for too long. That passion to complete your game might eventually die and you end up abandoning it, start a new project, and repeat.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm pretty sure I went hiatus regularly for like x months of not giving af about RPG Maker only to realize that the next day would be a new year already, not that I finished something big by doing it after come back to RPG Maker, but that is how I do it :p

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Play games. Other RPG Maker games are good, too. That helps you get inspiration and come up with new ideas.
However, be cautious about putting your project on hold for too long. That passion to complete your game might eventually die and you end up abandoning it, start a new project, and repeat.
I agree. I took a break from my main game and worked on a game jam game and now the inspiration to work on my main game returned.

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How do you want to deal with a burn out?
1. Do you want a burn out to never happen?
2. Do you want the strength to keep at game making, while suffering through a burn out?
3. Or do you want it go away when it does happen?

Answering each:
For 1-> I make games, because I find it meaningful, morally good, and spiritual. (Yes, game making is spiritual for me.) So I'm motivated to do it out of duty, and higher purpose. (And not because I want to escape from reality, or that I want to be creative, or that I get paid for it.)

If you don't want burn out in the first place. Then make working on your project something you 'have' to do, on a deeper, internal level. Something... sacred.
That way, you become masochistic with burn out.
You will feel like you must be accomplishing a lot because it's hurting, and you start to take pleasure and motivation from it. :LZSjoy:

For 2-> My project will fail, if I don't complete it in a particular timeline. Because it deals with & comments on current global events.
If I don't get it out sooner, and global conditions change. My game will be irrelevant, and dead on arrival.
So I don't have time to rest. I have to work on it, and fast.

So to get the strength to suffer through a burn out, and keep working. You need a deadline of sort.
Nothing better than a deadline baked into the core concept of the game. (<- This is just a throwaway dialogue. I'm sure there are better ways to set deadlines. :LZSlol:)

For 3-> When you notice a burn out. Back off, take rest.
Preferably, do a fun & unserious mini/side-game inside of your main project. Something loosely associated with your project.
That way, you're still technically on your same project. You're having fun.
And if you end up making something decent, you can include it in your main game.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Apparently my method is script for several years and never work on my game. Needless to say, I'm rediculously anxious to get to point where I can actually make my game.

ZenVirZan

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Apparently my method is script for several years and never work on my game. Needless to say, I'm rediculously anxious to get to point where I can actually make my game.
This is me: spending thousands of hours writing scripts for a game that's never even started

AoDLegacy

Fantasy Fanatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Burn out is a huge problem for me. Generally speaking, my brain needs stimulation to keep at its peak. If I work on the same thing constantly, even if it's challenging, it wears me thin. Alternate projects are important for freshening the mind.

Sometimes though, you just need to pull the plug and relax for a week or a few days. Find that right balance of self care and going too far. Play some games, draw, read, something to rest your mind. Heck, if what revives you is family, that too can be a great source of renewal. Just seek out something that gives you deep comfort and unwind.

A good idea though is to know yourself and be preventative, not reactionary. The more time you spend managing yourself and not reacting to a crisis by ignoring the issue, the better.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Another unnamed character, and probably last one for now.
She's a dragon girl inspired by fafnir dragon. as always, name suggestion is welcomed.
Dragon_Girl.jpg

Dragon_Girl_1.png
Hmm.... So I can use my quick ports of QPlugins, but QMovement breaks MZ's save system. Or I can use the Luna port of the QPlugins whose QMap breaks MZ's save system. I can't decide I want to fix one of those, or just make a new save system. The new one would look so much better.. I'm kind of tempted. :LZSexcite:
I'm very happy and I want everyone to be happy too, so I decided to share this song about the end of the world! :biggrin:
I just booked a spot for my COVID vaccine today. I am just waiting to see when they can get me in. I'll be so happy when I don't have to be paranoid about the virus anymore. I'm also thinking about moving to Atlanta, Georgia, Denver, Colorado, or Houston, Texas in the far future. Maybe once my channel gets off the ground.
Went to get a haircut today, and the lady cut my hair too short... Well I suppose with the pandemic I'm not going out a lot, but it still feels a bit uncomfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
schpsu5261