How do you guys deal with Burn Out?

Grunwave

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Right before we fall asleep, but more applicable to your query here: right after we wake-up, our brain produces alpha brain waves.

Try rolling out of bed and just firing up your project.

This is the state of mind, where we are very susceptible to external stimuli. So it is a good time to train your brain that whatever your "project" is, is important and must be given primacy.

On that same thought: avoid social media and your phone, when you first awaken. Generally these are bad for our brains, but the dopamine reaction can also frustrate your creative abilities/drives.

I also set little goals, like "by May 1st get this boss fight done." Having small, attainable goals helps to provide yourself with an intrinsic reward/motivation system.

The last thing I like to do: seek-out inspiration.

For RPG Maker this is usually playing other RPGs. You might play a dungeon in FF that springs a concept to mind that had never occurred before.

When I was like 20ish, I used to carry around a pocket-sized notebook and write down any interesting ideas I had. I know keep several of things on my computer at all times. If you do not keep lists like this already, try doing it.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Personally, I think learning to schedule which parts of your game to finish is surprisingly motivating. Having someone to talk to while you work is also a great way to deal with burn out.

Sigony

Crusader Masochist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I feel like I've run out of ideas and want to know how the people on this forum deal with creative burn out.
It sounds like you're looking to be inspired rather than to deal with running out of energy OP.

What I would suggest to myself if I were having this problem is this:

Instead of striving to come up with an inspired idea,

release such a resistant notion and allow yourself to wander around some other experiences with a sense of ease,

not necessarily video games, it might produce a more contrived idea, or maybe it won't,

and your mind will tend to synthesize connections between concepts,
and produce something that has novelty over time, which you could likely call inspired.

I am so excited for you to get to do that.

SoulBlade32

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I need help dealing with being burnt out on making RPG Maker projects. I just cancelled my current project "Anterograde Fantasy" because of dealing with The Caretaker and his music as the themes of his music are references and built within AF, but long story short, I'm no longer making it and in need of a new project idea.

But here's the thing. I have no idea what to make next. I felt like I tried everything that wacky and unique such as Nazi Germany invading a land of talking ponies or the creator of the Touhou Project games getting kidnapped by the CEO of Commodore and being saved by the guy who made the ZX Spectrum. I even made a fangame about furries set on the Island of Sodor! But I feel like I've run out of ideas and want to know how the people on this forum deal with creative burn out. What I might do is play some RPGs and hopefully inspire myself to make something.

Idk, what do you guys think?
I feel that my creative process does, often, get burnt out from a project. When this happens I tend to back off and try to find something to inspire me again. Typically this will be playing DnD or listening to DnD podcasts, or just playing older rpgs. When in doubt, I return to a classic jrpg formula. Nothing too crazy but try to spice it up a bit by taking well known classes and changing them.

My example of this is taking a geomancer class and creating a "Weathermancer" this character has spells that change the weather. When it's raining, you can use Water spells. Some spells will combo with the weather and change it. Example, during a sandstorm you are able to use Earth spells, but, if you use the spell Meteorite, that can only be used in a sandstorm, the fire from the meteorite changes the weather to a "drought" weather. Thus allowing fire spells.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Gameboy Tiles, Cure Writer's Block, Animations on Menu, Generate Tasks | RPG Maker News #40

How would you judge a game you played? Art/Graphics? Story? Gameplay?
Learn MV sales goal = 2%
NSFW game sales goal = 2500% (no jokes) :guffaw:
After gathering, sorting out & reconsidering hundreds of enemy battlers over the last two das, finally my favorite part begins: Inventing names and lore for them all :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonTonyPepperoni