Thedemonpit

Lord of the Formors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I have been wraking my brain for about 2 weeks and I'm still not sure what A medevil style barracks would look like. How would you guys go about that?

trouble time

Victorious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I just make something similar to the barracks I lived in in basic training, I know its not probably period accurate, but its familiar.

JGreene

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Depends which branch you were in. Air Force has 4 star hotel quality lol.

Anyway, if it's a medieval setting it would probably look like a castle on the outside. And the inside I guess would reflect that. But regardless, it's your game. Do what suits you. Even if it means making an intergalactic penguin empire.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Standing armies didn't really exist during the Middle Ages, apart from small companies of well armed and trained men-at-arms. When armies were raised, the bulk of the fighting force came from mercenaries and feudal levies, with only a fraction being heavily armoured knights and men-at-arms. Professional armies only started to emerge in the mid to late 15th century, which is either after the Middle Ages or nearing its end.

I don't think there was anything really akin to a barracks for medieval militias, retinues, etc. I think certain places may have had simple lodgings for active fighting men, but these weren't really barracks. For the most part, soldiers during the Middle Ages were expected to look after themselves.

You could have a building near, or attached to, the walls or gate of a town or castle. This building could have basics things inside: beds, a place to eat, etc.

Last edited:

JGreene

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Skyrim probably has some good examples, albeit not large enough to fit a whole battalion.

JGreene

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
See! this is why I should have joined the Air Force instead of the Army.
Well, now there's the Space Force. I hear the ISS has an amazing view!

trouble time

Victorious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well, now there's the Space Force. I hear the ISS has an amazing view!
I have always wanted to join the Emperors Adeptus Astartes.

Oh I also had another idea about the barracks for a medieval setting, IIRC equipment was less standardized overall, so you probably won't need to make a big equipment vault, since most owned what they brought to war.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The whole notion of a barracks in that setting is an anachonism. If troops required somewhere, they were more often than not billeted in the homes of civilians - with or without the permission of those civilians. Large forces which were raised for specific campaigns had camps, some of which could have quite elaborate elements for the officers, but for ordinary soldiers were basic.

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To get a barracks that is historically accurate, you have to go further back than the middle ages. Ancient Rome had a professional army, so looking at what kind of barracks they used would be a good starting point. In fact, there was some recently discovered ruins of a Roman Barracks building from around 1 AD :) LINK to the article.

The dark ages kind of set itself apart from the rest of history because it was a setback to western civilization.

Darth Equus

I *HATE* Parallax Mapping.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
If you're not going for super historical accuracy, you can make them half stone, half wood, with a thatched straw roof. (Pretend the logs are straw).

2m4cfns.png

For the insides, just use similar stone and wood tiles with a stone or dirt floor. Think of what commoner houses looked like in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, or Braveheart. Easy, huh?

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

you know, some days you get resentful that game dev is even considered a "fun job" and other days it's like, welp, time to roll up my sleeves and code these molotov cocktails
If you suck at playing trumpets, that is probably why.
Been sick with a stomach virus for seven days now. Not going to work tomorrow because I'm still contagious according to my doctor.
Much as I love my job, I really hate playing "office politics". It would be nice if I didn't have to pretend to be someone else all day long.
I wanna get back into showing off Battlers and other assets I create again. But i'm always haunted by the "It's not good/realistic enough" voices that keep me from doing so.

Maybe I should get back to it, I did enjoy showing off whatever I came up with!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeOmega2011