How do you handle Poison/Burn/Bleed states when applying them to both enemies and bosses?

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by atoms, Jun 9, 2019.

1. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks everyone! I like hearing what everyone comes up with! If anyone wants to share more, please do.

I just wanted to comment here...
    I like what you analysed, I'd just like to add to it, length of battles effects the range.

For example. If a battle lasts a lot of turns, then small DoT for that amount of turns can suddenly become quite powerful, so length of battles, regular encounters, mini bosses and bosses, is useful to take into consideration as well.

2. MrZalgo

MrZalgo I am not Edgy, I am Fabulous Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I want to apply a tierlist basically for status ailments within my titles.

basically being hit by multiple fire attacks will increase the tier and severity of said tier.

for example:

Fire has 4 tiers:

Burn: simple DoT
    Scorch: DoT and player has a percent chance to fumble attacks due to immense pain.
    Melting: DoT, player has a higher chance to fumble attacks, and is crippled.
    Hellfire: Highest DoT, Guaranteed chance to fumble attacks, Stats are reduced by a percent value, and can't cast spells.

The way I balanced it is that fire attacks require the player to be hit by a large number of attacks in order to proc Hellfire, you can also cure one tier of Fire with high mana spells or certain potions. The thing is, the same can be applied on enemies so in order to succeed, you want to take advantage of balancing debuffs and defending yourself so that you don't get the 4th tier, since getting to that tier is pretty much instant death.

atoms likes this.
  3. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This sounds like an interesting system, and could be a really good lever for balancing status affliction vs. status removal, with weak (in comparison to the characters) enemies needing to hit you several times in order to move beyond "Burn", versus strong enemies or bosses being able to jump right to Scorch or higher with a single skill.

The one major drawback is that it's complex, with a lot of information to remember (which statuses evolve into which other statuses, and what each status does) and to track (how close a battler is towards the next level of a status). Spending time to craft a helpful GUI, and keeping the number of different status trees to a minimum (allowing the player to see each one more frequently and reducing mental bookkeeping) will go a long way towards making your system a success.

atoms likes this.
  4. ave36

ave36 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think a very good solution to balance Poison is reinvent it to do damage proportional to the attacker's MAtk and the defender's MDef, not to the defender's MHP. That is what I did in Legend of Terra Firma. This makes the poison state usable on bosses without being broken af. The mechanics of the vanilla Poison were transferred to the Bleed state which is rare and mostly used by enemies. The only player available skill that inflicts Bleed is the blue magic Razor Dance, acquired closer to the end of the game, when most of the bosses are already defeated. Razor Dance also has a low chance to afflict Heavy-class enemies, and most bosses are Heavies.

atoms likes this.
  5. Maliki79

Maliki79 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    In my game, I get around this by having levels or degrees of all my negative stats.
    In the case of poison, it can do anywhere from 0 to 99% hp dmg per turn, depending on the poison buildup.
    This buildup is dependent on dissipates at a rate dependant on the target.
    So bosses can have a fair tolerance to poison but can always get the aliment.
    (I HATE when bosses are 100% immune to aliments!)

I even made a plugin that can buildup immunity to states after certain number of applications!

So there are ways to incorporate status states to bosses. Just gotta find ones that work well.

atoms and Wavelength like this.