spec3

blep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm very fond about the idea of introducing them as part of scenery. Some people prefer to use prompts that tell directly which are the controls. Does it depends solely on the genre or story of the game? How do you feel it is the best approach? I'd like to see your takes on this matter.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
By "controls" are you referring to the game's keybindings?

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Certain controls, like basic player movement, I don't really "introduce" them; I just make sure there are safe, open areas to walk in near the start of the game.

For controls that aren't immediately intuitive and need to be introduced, I do it like this:
Minigame 2.png

It's a little chaotic in that screenshot because the screenshot is showing the player bringing up the overlay as a reminder during a minigame, but they're also given several seconds (or however long they need) before the minigame starts to read the instructions and controls without all the people/skeletons, Timer, or "Rescued" GUI onscreen.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Here is how I introduce controls
1. "Press Start" at the title screen, so at least they will understand what will be the confirmation/start button.
2. "Press Z to <interaction name>" on top of the event if you get close enough to activate the event when there is a little visual indicator that a certain event object is interactable.
3. Various on-screen helpers.
Screenshot_440.jpg

Screenshot_439.jpg
4. In case if it wasn't clear the basic control (as a part of total noob tutorial), the center is transparent and used when the player is in the center of it.
Tutorial-controls.png

Last edited:

CraneSoft

Filthy Degenerate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
One message box for the basic controls before you gain control of your character for the first time.

For custom controls that doesn't use the default "Z", "X", "Shift" keys, I do it the Persona 5 "Hotkeys on the bottom of screen" way during free movement and in my custom event menus.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
this is when you watch "epic npc man - stupid game tutorials" on youtube or take some ques claptrap in borderlands for comedy ideas.

"wow your ability to walk short distances will surely be your enemy's downfall"

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Wavelength @TheoAllen Excellent font choices guys, especially for situations like these where stylized fonts would be less appropriate.

spec3

blep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
By "controls" are you referring to the game's keybindings?
Yes, but not limited to. I've heard and participated in discussions of the type, but I still don't know exactly where my opinion lies. Of course, there's not exactly a correct way, but I think this is an interesting topic that is not much discussed.
The ideas presented here are very interesting and very well crafted. Thanks, guys.

KakonComp

Lucid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ostinato
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would usually just point out a feature and make the tutorial optional for stuff not commonly seen in JRPGs, so systems are not a complete guessing game. Usually this translates into something to do with the battle system.

I've never been one for tutorials, so this is a topic very relevant to my interests.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like to include a .txt file, listing all of the controls. But anything that is par of the course for RPG Maker games, I assume players know what to press (arrows for movement, Esc for menu or cancel, Enter for interaction or confirm -- it's not rocket science), and does not get a mention in the game itself.

For special features, I'll have the key press mentioned in a dialogue box when first unlocked, as well as include it in the icon graphic on screen so players can view which key is used to activate it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Yaaay! My second public script is out and approved! A VX Ace Final Fantasy IX styled Throw Script!

I look forward to all the constructive feedback I get but most importantly I hope everyone who ends up using it enjoys!

Yaaaay! Making scripts is fun lol. :D
When you're lost out therrrrre and you're alllll alone, ahwahwah waitin, to carry you hooooommmme, uhhheverywhere you look! (someone hit me with those backing vocals)
X.X cant focus... too many thing want do... help!
Day 2 of teaching MV, student can move cat across the map.
Got inspired and started writing a simple tower defence battle system last night :o

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr