How do you know when a video game is good?

kendrik45

Transcendent
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I think the best way to gauge if a game is good is how well the game immerses a player.

Characters, from their lore to their graphics will make the games approachable. Graphics that are creative and appealing are always a plus. The music should be in such a way that the environment and situations should bring about an emotional response.

To me, just mesh everything well, and don't let a single aspect be out of place within a game. 

Clangeddin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
N/A
I know a videogame is good when I start nitpicking on even the smallest of its flaws and think how I could improve it if, somehow, I could mod it.
If a game is bad, then it's beyond repair, so not even worth start nitpicking about its flaws.

Last edited by a moderator:

SinSilver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When I can't put the controller down.

RavenBlueIndigo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
One sign of a good game for me is when I am playing the game and as I get farther and farther, I begin to develop this sad feeling, especially as I approach the end, that is on the lines of "Dang, this might be over soon. :\."

gRaViJa

Eniko Ghosts of Grace Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Simple: When i want to keep playing it.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
"Good" is an abstract idea. Therefore there is no good. I just turned into that guy. 

In all seriousness, a good game for me is a game where even if I don't have time, I want to make time for it, and I don't forget about that wish. 

Areeis

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
N/A
Even if you ask about mechanics, graphics and story, doesn't this totally depend on the genre and what the player expects or wants?

It obviously depends on the person but in certain genres you play a game for certain elements and rarely ask for more. As long as the game scratches that particular itch, it'll be a good game. If it does more than that, even better, as long as it doesn't mix up genres too much.

An example for mixing things up and maybe overdoing it for some players would be Spore, Undertale or Brutal Legend.

This is also why you usually play mobile games with no story and simpler graphics for quick bursts of entertainment, while your grinding-intense rpg entertains you for hours with its story. In the end both can be good games.

XxXhelazz

Agains these fascist who want to destroy me and my
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Msdos and httml
Primarily Uses
A vidogame is good when more people than the designer think is a good game xD Another thing to notice if a game is good or bad is time. If the game was good and isn't good now then isn't that good.

SeagullKing

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I work pretty hard during the day.

A good game is something that I don't have to work hard to get into/enjoy.  I also find myself attracted to games that have good lore (Warcraft/most Blizzard games, Five Nights at Freddies).

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

You look like you had a rough day...Here, have a Baby Panda!

A certain person better sell his stock while he still can, because it looks like it's going to take an unrecoverable nose dive.
7 years of trying to plan this project... and it got an official plotline today. 7 years. I really just have no concept of order huh GHJGSJHGVGHASFH.
Doing RPG Maker News for 24th October 2021

I'm not sure how to do this so I'll just ask here, Wheres a good place to post your game (for free) once its done?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marsmason