How do you like your manga?

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by Hollow 1977, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Hollow 1977

Hollow 1977 Rpg MV Game Creator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hi everyone! So what makes manga worth reading for you. Is it the explosive battles? Maybe the romance between characters? It could be the overall nature of the story laid out. Or maybe the it's awesome artwork. So tell me what makes manga awesome for you?

For me it's the art and the battles especially drawn out battles with an added dose of strategy.

Verdelite likes this.
  2. Skunk

Skunk Melody Master Veteran

First Language:
    English/Slavic
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For me, a good manga should feel like a super epic RPG game that you get to watch unfold.
    It has to have an evolving story, dynamic characters, good plot and setting, and for the love of god...
    Kamehameha waves.

Hollow 1977 likes this.
  3. KaiWeWi

KaiWeWi Veteran Veteran

Greifswald, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany
    First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For me, I guess it depends on the genre.
    I am usually most interested in the story, also deep characters with lots of background information. I enjoy dark and melancholic stuff, tragedy and drama. I am a very empathetic person and I need to "feel" my manga.
    A good story doesn't need to be linear for me to enjoy it. It should keep me interested. I like variety. I love it when the artist cares a lot for the smaller details.

Well, genre ... if I read yaoi/yuri/ecchi/hentai I want it to have a real story, it shouldn't be too extreme. Also, I like more normal body proportions.
    If it is shonen I read, there should be strategy when it comes to battles. I get tired of long fights quickly otherwise.
    If I read shojo I want my female lead to be a realistic girl/woman with a modern attitude, I want them to not be passive all the time.

My favorites right now are:
    Naoki Urasawa's Monster
    Attack on Titan
    One Piece

Hollow 1977 likes this.
  4. Prodigy 1216

Prodigy 1216 Prodigious Member Veteran

First Language:
    Malanglish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    IMO a good manga needs to have strong character development and also average graphics. It is also compulsory for my readings to have neat dialogue balloons and komas so that I don't get lost trying to figure out who speaks to whom. Manga that have amazing storytelling and compelling plots never disappoints me to get hyped for the next releasing chapter. Also sound effects are also a cool thing to look at in the manga like One Punch Man manga by One and Yusuke Murata

5. Hollow 1977

Hollow 1977 Rpg MV Game Creator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    All good ideas. I also like how they differ.

One other thing to note. I like my manga to have awesome spells or attacks and different characters that all take part in the battles not just one centralized character.

Favorites:
    Bleach (if my avatar did not already give it away XD)
    Sailor Moon
    Dragon Ball
    Fairy Tail
    One Piece
    Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood

6. Gallia

Gallia Global Support Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A good manga should have good writing (if the story is bad then i stop reading).
    Battles should have some meat on it, (not something like "Legendary hero appears, dies next page").
    The characters should be interesting and need to have some development, (if the protagonist is perfect in every way then its gonna be a boring story)
    The drawings has to be good.

7. evmaster

evmaster Think Outside the Box Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A story that doesn't involve harem, high school romance or something about a girl dating a guy. I like mine to be sci-fi and the unknown, with aliens or something but nothing scary. If there is a relationship going on I can tolerate but I've seen so many anime I'm just tired of the boy meets girl thing. I did like some anime with relationship but I guess I am looking for something new to surprise me nowadays.

8. PixelGeek93

PixelGeek93 Student of Art Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I agree with everyone so far on the fact that it MUST have a good story, and, preferably, good writing. I study art, as well, so great art matters to me too. Also, a good story should have a comedic element. It doesn't have to be the focus of the story--just enough to break up the drama. I don't mind relationships, either, as long as they are written well.

Genre wise, I really like fantasy, sci-fi, and historical fiction. I also really like "shounen" manga, so long as it has some substance to it. My favorites right now are One Piece, Yu Yu Hakusho, Saiyuki, Baccano!, and Dawn of the Arcana.

9. MMMm

MMMm Veteran Veteran

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Powerful and heroic main character. Strong, ruthless enemies and villains. Combat that's based around strategy and uses realism. Strong, credible female characters.