overlordmikey

BroCo. Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I won't be offended if you use it. I'm using low stats in my game (iv'e found it makes it easier to balance that way across all levels, but if you can find something that works for higher stats, go for it). Like i'm going back and forth on wether to make a max stat 10 or 20

And yes, the higher the luck, the better the chance of it going off
Our current game the programmed max for each stat is 999, but that's due to a technicality*. Taking equipment and the way leveling work in the game into account it is possible to get stats to MAYBE break 100 (and even then not all of them), but even then you'd have to grind out to level 99 for that to happen which is comically not needed even for the planned "more difficult" bonus dungeon.

We're using Galv's Manual Level UP and even if the max stat is 99 you can still put a point in to it, it just goes to waste. So I threw the player a bone of sorts since most players will never reach that point anyway.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
(I kinda find it funny that removing Luck is such a common thing).
I think the main reason for it is with how often I hear about minimizing luck mechanically, it makes sense to remove it conceptually. That, and it's one of those stats that basically means whatever the developer wants it to mean and thus can't be inferred from game to game, unlike Hp or Str which have both consistent and easily quantifiable meanings to the player.

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't use Luck. Not mechanically. Not thematically. Not ever. Every Actor and Enemy are set to the same "Luck" and I have removed it from any formulae and UI altogether. :)

-MIA

Ghalundra

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Honestly, I usually have Luck play into most of my calculations-- both for the player and monsters. Usually at a massively reduced interval, but I've also had it tie into abilities before. Making it tie into critical calculations via plugins also works, but I find that better suited to parameters and specific abilities.

Recently (as of MV/MZ) I've been renaming it CHA / Charm and retooling it entirely. It still impacts status conditions, but is also used for an entire subset of magic.

freakytapir

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First, I cranked up the effect luck, renamed "Fate", has on inflicting status effects. Instead of hundreds of a percentage, it is now a direct comparison of yours and the enemies luck.
Your luck stat is twice his?
Congrats that's twice the state affliction rate.

It also increases Lightning Damage and certain weapons such as "The chosen blade" That would deal damage based on ATK and LUK or the orb that are based on MAT and LUK, or the Tarot based class, whose main attack stat is straight Luck.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1 thing was thinking about and probably try out with my next proof of concept project.
luck = armor penetration. ie, damage formula a.atk*4-b.def*3/a.luk
making every point of luck have a significant impact on reducing the effectiveness of the targets def/mdf. deffinitly want to keep luck as a super small number for that

but like i said, still only an idea and havent done any testing using it that way yet.

Arctica

The Arbiter of Time
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Tie it to drop rates.
Tie it to chance of pre-emptive/surprise attacks.
Tie it to random encounters and make it so deeply involved that it determines the difficulty of the encounter(higher luck = easier encounters).
Model it after Suikoden II, where luck help determines if the attacker will attack twice(TECH was the main thing there though).
Have it govern the increase-on-level-up of all stats.

Or~
Get rid of it and make a whole new stat.

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
I just use it to have an easy number to reference for Max TP, which I never liked how it doesn't scale by default.

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I just use it to have an easy number to reference for Max TP, which I never liked how it doesn't scale by default.
Ok not gonna lie.. that's a really smart 'behind the curtains' way to use Luck. Bravo. :)

-MIA

Antilurker77

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Luck in my game affects critical hit rate and nothing else. Status effects all have a baseline 100% hit rate (barring a few enemy skills). It's easier to balance that way.

Maliki79

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hmmm.... Well, luck determines a few things in my game.

Luck plays a role in determining Preemptive strikes.

Critical hits and evasion is determined by luck.

Status effects are determined by luck. (NOT the chance of placing said status.)

Stealing success is increased by luck.

And finally, I created a Mother/Earthbound style HP slider plugin and the speed by which the stats change is determined VERY largely by luck.

I'm sure I forgot/excluded a few things, but you all get the idea.

A small point to make as well is that I use a stat building system, so a player can choose to put a lot of stat points into luck.
Therefore, I had to make luck a stat worth building up.

gelboy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I like using luck as a stat for pure cosmetic reasons. Like giving a %chance for your gear/armor to be a "shiny" ala Pokemon. It's great for players who love collecting items!

orochii

Abomination of life, or life itself.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
I like that luck is useless because the fact that it has no default use means I can name it whatever and use it for any thing I want. Really it depends on game.

The classic uses are Luck (affect chances on RNG), as a way to implement level ranks to enemies and use it on formulas, and for my current game I use it as a "Guts" stat, which affects autorecovery rates (sorta inspired on Breath of Fire).

MarxMayhem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The plugins I use allow me to put LUK in virtually any stat computation I desire. So far, I have plans to use it on:
  • HIT
  • EVA
  • CRI
  • CEV
  • CNT
  • PHA
  • MCR
Not implemented on my battle system yet, but I do want to make skills that involve chance, and use LUK to get a desired result. Also, letting the user's LUK determine the potency of buffs and debuffs on targets (I'm not planning to use the default buff system).

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The plugins I use allow me to put LUK in virtually any stat computation I desire.

plugins like base parameter control, class base parameters, ex-param control, and sp-param control can give alot of options of how to tweak stats and make them interact with each other

AphoticAmaranth

An Ordinary Human
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In my first project I made luck determine the starting TP (since you start battles with a random amount of TP, I thought it would be fitting to have luck influence that), as well as the critical damage multiplier.

In my current project, I'm also experimenting with making powerful but cursed weapons with a chance to backfire, which can be mitigated by the user's luck stat, similar to the devil weapons in the Fire Emblem series.

belatucadrus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just renamed my LUK stat into SPI (Spirit), which allows me a lot more stuff like impacting healing, shields, and damage over time.

cubeking1

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
I renamed luck to harmony and made it a stat that is halved and used in both attacking and defending making it a good stat to buff both offenses and defenses but not as good as focusing on the main stats. To kinda balance this a bit the basic attack does not use this stat in its calculation meaning some foes you have an easier time fighting if you only basic attack instead of using skills.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I renamed Luck -> Speed. Why didn't I just use AGI for that purpose you ask? Well, AGI = DEX (Dexterity) in my project, and I wanted a secondary "Rogue/Thief" stat like how DEF kinda pairs w/ ATK and MDF pairs w/ MAT. Thus, Dexterity & Speed could go hand in hand. I just don't like the heavy reliance on RNG that having a Luck would entail. So basically, LUK (aka SPD) in my game will dictate turn order and turn frequency (once I get the ATB working), Evasion chance, and as well as how much TP a unit starts w/ in battle.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

1638170340913.png
Crossover Inn is getting very crowded, and I love it
Climbing to the top #mapping
1638160732198.png
I've started the first steps of the final few maps that I need to make for B:ms. I haven't been able to say that in a really, really long time. It'd probably be a good idea to blog about this or something.
Question for the Mods: What am I supposed to do when I can't make a synopsis 350 words long? (for project recruitment thread) @Shaz @mlogan
The game is meant to be more on the simple side in order to be achievable so I'm a bit stuck...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheodoricThaGood